x64 Headache

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by ArtCox, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    I have a copy of XP x64 on a dvd from TechNet, When I try to install it on
    my

    ArtCox, Jul 31, 2005

  2. ArtCox

    John Barnes Guest

    Any possibility you missed the message at the bottom of the screen that says
    ' hit any key to boot from CD ' ?

    John Barnes, Jul 31, 2005

  3. copying the folder to a CD will not work. You need to make it a bootable CD
    by burning the ISO image if you have it. (Don't remember if TechNet has the
    ISO images. I know MSDN does.) Otherwise, you need to set your BIOS to boot
    first off of the DVD drive, and then boot into the DVD menu which should
    offer you an option to choose to install x64 Edition.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2005
  4. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    Charlie,
    Ahhh, that's what I did wrong. But I have the ISO on my TechNet DVD. can I
    use ISO Buster or NERO to send the uncompressed ISO straight to CD-Rom?
    Art

    ArtCox, Jul 31, 2005
  5. yes.

    For excellent instructions on how to write an ISO file to a CD correctly, I
    recommend:
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 31, 2005
  6. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    no luck. nothing worked

    ArtCox, Jul 31, 2005
  7. ArtCox

    warpsix Guest

    when you look at the cd is there only 1 large .iso file?

    warpsix, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Check your BIOS.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2005
  9. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    no it creates all folders and files, just won't allow me to install from
    boot. if I put the CD in while in WinXP 32 bit, it tells me to reboot my
    machine.
    Art

    ArtCox, Aug 1, 2005
  10. ArtCox

    Randy Guest

    Meaning "Boot Sequence" and in some cases, "Secure Options"...

    I initially kinda got the idea he was trying to install from within a booted
    instance of Win x32, but I guess he actually is trying (correctly) to boot
    to the disc. Burning may not have written to disc correctly; I had that
    happen a few times, but when he viewed the finalized disc and saw the
    various folders rather than a single ISO, that idea pretty much vanished.

    Randy, Aug 1, 2005
  11. ArtCox

    John Barnes Guest

    Try a different drive. I have one drive on my computer that will not
    recognise a bootable CD 2 that will.

    John Barnes, Aug 1, 2005
  12. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    Charlie,
    Would it help if I installed a IDE Hard Drive and then used the WD software
    to transfer every thing to my SATA drive?
    Just a thought,
    Art

    ArtCox, Aug 2, 2005
  13. no. You need to resolve the issue with why you're not seeing your dvd drive
    as bootable. Solve that, and then you need to make sure you have all the
    correct drivers for x64 Edition. Do you have that DVD drive hanging off the
    SATA controller? That could certainly be the issue.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 2, 2005
  14. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    Charlie,
    No My DVD and DVD-RW are on IDE, My SATA Drive is on the SATA controller
    and my Floppy drive is USB.
    Art

    ArtCox, Aug 4, 2005
  15. ArtCox

    John Barnes Guest

    Like Charlie said 1. Find out why your drives aren't seeing the DVD as
    bootable (could be settings or non bootable DVD) 2. Have any drivers needed
    to install at F6 for your SATA drive.

    John Barnes, Aug 4, 2005
  16. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    John,
    The DVD will boot. just that 64 bit XP and 64bit Server 2003 are not an
    option

    ArtCox, Aug 4, 2005
  17. Wait, you didn't say, but is this the MSDN DVD that has multiple OS's on it?

    Yeah, it's broke. It's been broke. Take the MSDN ISO image CD and use it to
    burn an x64 bootable CD.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2005
  18. ArtCox

    ArtCox Guest

    Charlie,
    I have the TechNet version, I did burn it to CD, still won't boot.
    Art

    ArtCox, Aug 5, 2005