x64 Hangs on "Setup is checking hardware configuration"

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. Greetings,
    I downloaded the 120 trial to run on my machine and burned it to cd, tried
    to install and it stops at "Setup is checking hardware configuration".

    Msinfo tells me I have:
    System Model Dell Precision WorkStation 670, System Type X86-based PC
    4 x Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
    Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
    Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem (For faxing), SoundMAX Integrated Digital
    Audio
    HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B, PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631

    I had the choice of OEM install when ordered but I didn't have time to find
    drivers and not have the computer working 100%, so I went with x32 Xp .
    Anyway, I did contact Dell and they seem to believe the system is in order
    and should be able to install x64. Any ideas how I can get this to install?
    I can explore the cd but maybe the download is corrupt? Just flashed the
    bios to current version today. Any takers?

    Thanks,
    Paul S

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005

  2. Wouldn't Dell send you a system with OEM x64 with fully working devices and
    system components? Or are you referring to devices that you already owned
    that you were not sure were compatible with x64?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 7, 2005

  3. This machine was a replacement for an older machine, and I had only a
    weekend of downtime available to switch machines and be fully running for
    Monday morning. I did have the option for Dell to have OEM x64 installed,
    but I couldn't find drivers for some hardware I already had. All of those
    components are external, and I didn't add anything to the machine itself. I
    will try detaching things and installing again today.

    Do you have any thoughts on my problem?

    Paul S

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Are any of those external devices such as scanners, printer or external USB
    disk drives attached to system during that portion of setup? If so, remove
    them rerun setup again. Its possible that x64 is trying to detect these
    devices which is why you are stuck at that part setup for so long.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 7, 2005
  5. Andre,
    Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB drives! I
    will give that a try later.
    Thanks!

    Paul S

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Paul Serkosky

    John Barnes Guest

    I also had all of the above and a USB modem, 2 USB UPS units, and 2 home
    control USB controllers and I had no hang-up in this step. Some here have
    reported that it can take hours in this step, just to be patient, so if
    Andre's suggestion doesn't work, just try letting it run overnight and see
    if it works.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  7. John,
    Interesting, I know I let run for about 30 minutes, but having loaded OS's
    from Dos to present it just seemed to take too long. I will unplug
    everything and let it run overnight before I leave work today. Are there
    any user selection prompts that will time out if they are not selected? I
    don't want it to self install over XP x32!

    Thanks,
    Paul S

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005
  8. Paul Serkosky

    John Barnes Guest

    I was only relaying what two others have said before, and I remember 1
    specifically said hours. As to user prompts, I do remember that you do have
    the time confirmation and it seems one other that happen at the same time.
    I don't remember when they happen and don't know what they may have for a
    timeout.
    I also don't know what you mean by self install over x32. If you are
    talking about the hang-up happening in the GUI section, you have already
    selected where to install it in the TEXT phase and there should be no chance
    of a problem with x32.
    Maybe someone with more recent install experience could help with this.
    I had no problems with my install and it only took about 15 minutes in that
    portion of the setup, even with the 4 drives, 3 cd drives and 10 USB
    attachments

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  9. It installs just like Windows XP x86 so there will be user selection prompts
    such as specifying partitions, date and time settings. You might want to try
    an unattended setup in this case if you plan on not being present during the
    installation.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...Kit/e67d3dfc-96cb-4107-9438-638cb62e50c9.mspx

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 7, 2005
  10. John,
    I am going for a dual boot and I didn't want it install over the existing
    version.
    I never get to select anything when I run this setup. I turn the computer
    on, press any key to boot from the cd, the screen goes black, "Setup is
    checking hardware configuration" is displayed at the top of the black screen
    and that's it! No drives spinning, no lights flashing, nothing.

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Paul Serkosky

    John Barnes Guest

    I was beginning to suspect this. What I mentioned relates only to a hang in
    the GUI section of the install. I have no ideas on this at this time as
    this is the first time I have seen it reported. Maybe someone else has seen
    something for the TEXT section.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Doing more research I am wondering about my two SATA drives, which are just
    being used as plain drives (no raid). Can this be botching the
    installation?

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 7, 2005
  13. Paul Serkosky

    Rick Guest

    That should not cause any problems. I am using two SATA drive with no
    RAID configured on VIA chips.

    Rick, Oct 7, 2005
  14. Paul Serkosky

    John Barnes Guest

    You will need the SATA drivers for your system to F6 when called for. I
    don't remember if that is before you hang, but if you have the message to
    hit F6 at the bottom of your screen, you need to hit F6 at that point. In
    the back of my mind, that is after the point you hang, but at least you can
    get your drivers ready while waiting for an educated reply.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  15. Hello,
    I think the hang is before the F6 screen. Let me know if you get to the F6
    screen, you may be able to try the F5 screen to choose the hal.
    Most of the time with this I suspect one of the following with this type of
    problem.
    These are not in any order
    1) Problem reading the media either disk or data on the disk is not being
    read properly
    2) Problem with the cd drive.
    3) Bios issue, either needs updated bios or a setting needs to go back to
    default
    4) Processor problems or overclocked.
    5) Memory
    6) an external attached device
    7) An added internal adapter
    We are so early in the boot process, we haven't loaded any drivers yet and
    just a few files so there aren't a lot of options from the software side
    available.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <#Fn#>
    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <#>
    <uZ9u#>
    <>
    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <Subject: Re: x64 Hangs on "Setup is checking hardware configuration"
    <Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:19:18 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <>>
    <>>
    <>> "Paul Serkosky" <> wrote in message
    <>> news:...
    <>>> John,
    <>>> I am going for a dual boot and I didn't want it install over the
    <>>> existing version.
    <>>> I never get to select anything when I run this setup. I turn the
    <>>> computer on, press any key to boot from the cd, the screen goes black,
    <>>> "Setup is checking hardware configuration" is displayed at the top of
    <>>> the black screen and that's it! No drives spinning, no lights
    flashing,
    <>>> nothing.
    <>>> Paul S
    <>>>
    <>>>
[...]
    <>>>>
    <>>>> "Paul Serkosky" <> wrote in message
    <>>>> news:uZ9u%...
    <>>>>> John,
    <>>>>> Interesting, I know I let run for about 30 minutes, but having
    loaded
    <>>>>> OS's from Dos to present it just seemed to take too long. I will
    <>>>>> unplug everything and let it run overnight before I leave work
    today.
    <>>>>> Are there any user selection prompts that will time out if they are
    <>>>>> not selected? I don't want it to self install over XP x32!
    <>>>>>
    <>>>>> Thanks,
    <>>>>> Paul S
    <>>>>>
    <>>>>> "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    <>>>>> news:%...
    <>>>>>>I also had all of the above and a USB modem, 2 USB UPS units, and 2
    <>>>>>>home control USB controllers and I had no hang-up in this step.
    Some
    <>>>>>>here have reported that it can take hours in this step, just to be
    <>>>>>>patient, so if Andre's suggestion doesn't work, just try letting it
    <>>>>>>run overnight and see if it works.
    <>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>
    <>>>>>> "Paul Serkosky" <> wrote in message
    <>>>>>> news:...
    <>>>>>>> Andre,
    <>>>>>>> Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB
    <>>>>>>> drives! I will give that a try later.
    <>>>>>>> Thanks!
    <>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>> Paul S
    <>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    <>>>>>>> message news:%...
    <>>>>>>>> Are any of those external devices such as scanners, printer or
    <>>>>>>>> external USB disk drives attached to system during that portion
    of
    <>>>>>>>> setup? If so, remove them rerun setup again. Its possible that
    x64
    <>>>>>>>> is trying to detect these devices which is why you are stuck at
    <>>>>>>>> that part setup for so long.
    <>>>>>>>> --
    <>>>>>>>> Andre
    <>>>>>>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <>>>>>>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <>>>>>>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <>>>>>>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <>>>>>>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>> "Paul Serkosky" <> wrote in message
    <>>>>>>>> news:...
    <>>>>>>>>> This machine was a replacement for an older machine, and I had
    <>>>>>>>>> only a weekend of downtime available to switch machines and be
    <>>>>>>>>> fully running for Monday morning. I did have the option for
    Dell
    <>>>>>>>>> to have OEM x64 installed, but I couldn't find drivers for some
    <>>>>>>>>> hardware I already had. All of those components are external,
    and
    <>>>>>>>>> I didn't add anything to the machine itself. I will try
    detaching
    <>>>>>>>>> things and installing again today.
    <>>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>>> Do you have any thoughts on my problem?
    <>>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>>> Paul S
    <>>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in
    <>>>>>>>>> message news:%23Fn%...
    <>>>>>>>>>> Wouldn't Dell send you a system with OEM x64 with fully working
    <>>>>>>>>>> devices and system components? Or are you referring to devices
    <>>>>>>>>>> that you already owned that you were not sure were compatible
    <>>>>>>>>>> with x64?
    <>>>>>>>>>> --
    <>>>>>>>>>> Andre
    <>>>>>>>>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <>>>>>>>>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <>>>>>>>>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <>>>>>>>>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <>>>>>>>>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <>>>>>>>>>>
    <>>>>>>>>>> "Paul Serkosky" <> wrote in message
    <>>>>>>>>>> news:uETp%...
    <>>>>>>>>>>> Greetings,
    <>>>>>>>>>>> I downloaded the 120 trial to run on my machine and burned it
    <>>>>>>>>>>> cd, tried to install and it stops at "Setup is checking
    hardware
    <>>>>>>>>>>> configuration".
    <>>>>>>>>>>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 8, 2005
  16. Yes, the hang occurs instantly, no chance for F6
    Okay - not a great computer day for me. It turns out the cd was bad,
    because I downloaded the trial at home, burned a new cd, and this time it
    installed, but....
    At the first restart, which I can't say if it was a botched or planned
    restart because I wasn't starring at the screen, the computer will get to
    the dual boot menu and freeze on x64. Once I figured out to work around the
    0 second to choose the OS issue, I discovered that selecting x32 also causes
    it to freeze. I tried safe mode and soon ran into a brick wall. Went into
    recovery and removed x64 from the boot.ini, but that didn't work either. So
    I ended up clearing out the C and D drive, x32 and x64 respectively, and
    clean installed x32. I had to be back up and running for Monday.

    Now, what could the problem be, I do want to get x64 on this machine - I
    should have when I purchased it this summer. I also should learn more
    about XP since my expertise in Windows peaked and has been declining since
    NT and 2000. I'd like to assume that the hardware is working since I was
    able to install x32 today - but I could be wrong here. The bios was just
    updated, but a setting could be wrong. No overclocking. Could be external
    devices, the only thing that was hooked up was a usb tablet/mouse and the
    network. No additional hardware was installed, and this exact setup could
    have had x64 installed OEM. Would installing x32 show any of these problems
    or is x64 just more sensitive?
    Thanks,
    Paul S

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 9, 2005
  17. Run a good memory test. It won't hurt, and it might disclose something. :)

    RAM can be a subtle problem that doesn't always show up the same in x64 as
    it does in x86. For more on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/09/01/64999.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 9, 2005
  18. Paul Serkosky

    John Barnes Guest

    What do you mean by soon ran into a brick wall. What exactly is on the
    screen when it freezes? Before you install x64 again and run into the same
    problem, make a copy of the ntldr and ntdetect.com and boot.ini files that
    are on your system now (from the x32 install) you can copy they back in
    recovery console. If you are freezing on the boot.ini screen, your system
    hasn't gotten to the OS yet and is still working from those files. If it
    works when they are copied from the x32 system (will only be able to boot
    x32), one of these files may be corrupted on your x64 install disk. Also if
    you could describe your drive setup it might help someone here. Both OS on
    1 drive. How you created the second partition. Did you do a fixboot or
    fixmbr when you had problems booting? Lastly, I know your system is totally
    different from mine, but there seem to be extra problems with SATA II
    drives, if yours are SATA II, you might be able to turn off the features,
    making it look like SATA.

    John Barnes, Oct 9, 2005
  19. Thanks - will do that today!
    Paul S

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 10, 2005
  20. John,
    Thanks for you replies btw. Here is what happened. x64 installed in the
    blue screen text portion, and then restarted, at this point past OS would
    load into the gui and ask you to set the clock. Instead the reboot went to
    the dual boot menu, which immediately showed 0 seconds to make a selection
    and with x64 selected by default. It stayed on this screen for over an hour
    with no activity. I rebooted and the same thing occurred. Tried again and
    hit F8 to be able to get back to the boot menu with no time limit and the
    same thing happened with x32. Of course I should have done a better job of
    backing up before I tried to install this, but I never had an OS install
    problem before.
    I have 2 - 250g hard drives, the C partition is on drive 1. The D partition
    is on drive 2. Not SATA II, as far as I can tell.
    I am going to run some memory tests, do a cd bootable backup of the C drive
    so I will only be down for a little while worst case, make a new x64 cd (3rd
    time) and try it again during the week.

    Paul Serkosky, Oct 10, 2005