    I mean native x64 applicatoins, not those only compatitible with (32bit
    but just run on) Windows x64. Thanks.
    , Jul 9, 2006

  2. Aaron Kelley Guest

    Paint.NET is a nice, free image editor that runs natively in 64-bit.
    There are several 64-bit antivirus solutions.

    That's about all I know about.
    I know that Windows Media Player is 64-bit native in Windows Vista.
    There are a bunch of 64-bit downloads at www.planetamd64.com.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jul 9, 2006

  3. * :

    > Are there any native x64 applications of,
    > Music player (like winamp),

    What do you expect a 64bit music player does better than a 32bit one?

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Precisely.

    The app's that are mentioned will hardly be any heavy candidates for
    porting - beyond Aaron's suggestion, which looks interesting, although also
    not a 'heavy' candidate, perhaps - I know of Blender and PovRay, that might
    have significant benefit in a professional graphical environment. Both are
    Open Source.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Native x64 apps.
    Archiver: Squeez (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/squeez/index.html)
    Antivirus: Avast (http://www.avast.com)
    Text Editor: Vedit (http://www.vedit.com)
    No music player so far.
    It would also be useless because you would need x64 decoders.
    There are some here, however:
    http://okejl.dk/dunstan/

    More x64 native programs here:
    http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/TweakUI-64-Bit-Edition-Download-24753.html

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 9, 2006
  6. Sorry, Carlos - Avast is not completely 64bit, I think. Just the system
    probing stuff that would otherwise break it.

    Have you any personal experience from the decoders, I wonder? I've just
    bought a TV Tuner Card and need to pick up on how to put it to the best of
    use.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 9, 2006
  7. Tony:
    Haven't tried them because there is no x64 player yet.
    I did try the Xvid one with Virtualdub (www.virtualdub.org) which has a
    native x64 video processing version.
    So, Xvid decoder for x64 works.
    Don't know about the others in that page (Dolby AC3 5.1 sound, MP3, x264)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 9, 2006
  8. Tony:
    I have the Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Expert capture card which has the
    Conexant cx2388x chipset (10 bit) with beta drivers from
    http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/. The Leadtek Winfast PVR software from that
    site works as does ShowShifter with Windows x64 but they aren't compatible
    with Vista x64 at this time. A glance at "planetamd64" indicates that there
    may be PVR150 64 bit drivers available.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Jul 10, 2006
  9. Aaron Kelley Guest

    I've seen 64-bit builds of FFDShow but no player to try them with. (Maybe
    I'll try that out in x64 Vista...)

    Anyway, if you have a TV tuner, there is an x64 version of Windows Media
    Encoder that should be able to use your TV card as a source. (WME is not
    the most convenient way to record stuff off of your TV card, I suppose, but
    it might be interesting to see how it performs. :p)

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jul 10, 2006
  10. Aaron:
    ffdshow x64 is a hoax, IMHO.
    It won't install and its web page
    (http://x64.killallthehumans.co.uk/ffdshow) has disappeared.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 10, 2006
  11. I believe that Sonar 5 runs natively as 64 bit, although I have yet to use
    it....

    Dennis Gordon, Jul 10, 2006
  12. Harry Austin Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 14:48:01 -0700, Carlos wrote:

    > Antivirus: Avast (http://www.avast.com)

    Unfortunately, Avast does will not do a boot-time scan in 64bit.
    Nonetheless it is the program we use on all our XP machines including the
    64bit one.
    --
    Harry Austin
    Somewhere in Australia
    Harry Austin, Jul 10, 2006
  13. Aaron Kelley Guest

    Maybe you're right.
    I found a build from June 20 on planetamd64.com, but I installed it in Vista
    and wasn't able to get it to work at all.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jul 10, 2006
  14. wrote:
    > Are there any native x64 applications of,
    > Image Viewer(like acdsee,irfan viewer),
    > Archiver(zip,rar...),
    > Image editor(like photoshop, paint shop...),
    > Music player (like winamp),
    > Anti-virus...
    >
    > I mean native x64 applicatoins, not those only compatitible with (32bit
    > but just run on) Windows x64. Thanks.

    Archiver: 7-Zip (www.7-Zip.org) and if you don't mind the
    command-line, Info-Zip has 64-bit versions of their utilities.
    Carl Kaufmann, Jul 10, 2006
  15. Thanks, Dennis! Well, mine is a ComPro T300 VideoMate. I think it said
    somewhere that it used the Philips chip - it can record natively in MPEG2
    and MPEG4 if I install the decoder for it, when looking, I found an MPEG4
    decoder installed but I have not checked it, and I have not been able to
    find anything 64bit, so I am running it on the Win2K installation. I just
    wonder if there is any benefit in using anything else than MPEG2? Much
    eloquence, I find, is being expended on DIVX, but I am not at all sure if
    that is something I will benefit from using. When I find something, I expect
    it to be on PAMD64.

    But it's early days - I need to get aquainted with all this and I need to
    get something recorded that I will think worthwhile putting on a DVD.
    Meanwhile, I probably start out by putting some of the old video casettes on
    DVD - that'll have the ball rolling.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 10, 2006
  16. Tony:
    XVid is freeware for both decoding and coding.
    What specific jobs do you intend to do?
    WinAVI (www.winavi.com) is a very simple tool from coding from almost every
    format into any format.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 10, 2006
  17. Interesting! I don't even remember having noticed.

    I'll check it out.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 10, 2006
  18. I don't even know what I want to do, beyond sending the VCR on retirement.
    Down at the shop, when handing over the money - I guess I had an idea that I
    would experiment in the broadest sense. One such idea was to convert native
    Flightsimulator videos to another format, but having installed the beast and
    inspecting the kind of software that seems hard to do now. I'll have a look
    at that WinAVI thing, to see if we hit it off together. Appart from the
    packaged software, I have Nero7 and I just need to familiarize myself with
    all of it. Dispell some old ideas. Form new ones.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 10, 2006
  19. Tony:
    If you want to go the full nine yards with x64 encoding then use Virtualdub
    (www.virtualdub.org) and XVid (http://okejl.dk/dunstan/)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 11, 2006
  20. I'll check them out - thank you.