  1. Do I need windows xp on this drive before I install XP Professional x64?
    --
    Oscar
    =?Utf-8?B?T3NjYXI=?=, Apr 20, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?T3NjYXI=?=

    Jane Colman Guest

    No, you don't need a prior installation of XP before installing XP x64.

    --
    Jane, but not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.
    Jane Colman, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Oscar wrote:
    > Do I need windows xp on this drive before I install XP Professional x64?

    No, you don't. In fact, as WinXPx64 is available only as an OEM
    license, it *cannot* upgrade an earlier OS; it can perform clean
    installations only.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?T3NjYXI=?=

    Graham Guest

    Oscar wrote:
    > Do I need windows xp on this drive before I install XP Professional x64?

    As the others have said, no ...

    .... unless you also want regular XP on it too when you are done, in
    which case it is better to do x64 last to avoid problems with the boot
    files (x64 needs 64-bit ones, regular XP doesn't care).

    Graham.
    Graham, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Thanks to everyone, I am going to install x64 on this clean drive. Does it
    look and feel like xp professonal?
    --
    Oscar

    =?Utf-8?B?T3NjYXI=?=, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Yes, it looks and feels just like Windows XP Pro, there are certain missing
    Explorer extensions you might encounter.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  8. Yes, it looks and feels just like Windows XP Pro, there are certain missing

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 20, 2006
  9. First I would like to say thanks for everyones help. I just orderd a Dell
    server 1800 with dual xeon with EM64T I want to install two Nvida NVS285
    graphicas cards should I install the software first then install the cards,
    or put my cards in first then install the software. Oh I am using this as a
    workstation not a server hence the XP Professional x64 software.
    --
    Oscar

    =?Utf-8?B?T3NjYXI=?=, Apr 21, 2006
  10. Oscar wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone, I am going to install x64 on this clean drive. Does it
    > look and feel like xp professonal?

    Yes, it looks and feels exactly like WinXP Pro, with the exception of
    having two versions of Internet Explorer, 32-bit and 64-bit. This is
    primarily because Microsoft hasn't established a 64-bit -compatible
    version of the Windows Update site, as yet; so the 32-bit IE is needed
    for that purpose.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Apr 21, 2006
  11. First I would like to say thanks for everyones help. I just orderd a Dell

    =?Utf-8?B?T3NjYXI=?=, Apr 21, 2006
  12. Follow the instructions that the nvidia cards have with them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 21, 2006