    there as well...

    any thoughts would be appriciated!

    /Oded
    =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=, Nov 25, 2005

  2. When you say never ran anything, would that include any possibly device
    driver updates for Windows XP x64?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 25, 2005

  3. First place to look to see if it's hardware is RAM. RAM can be a subtle
    problem that doesn't always show up the same in x64 as it does in x86. For
    more on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/09/01/64999.aspx

    Then, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your mobo -- ASUS tends to
    update BIOS versions fairly often in the early days of a model.

    Turn off ANY overclocking. And use the ASUS PCProbe utility to see if you're
    getting too warm somewhere. It isn't perfect, but it will spot some things.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 25, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    Mercury Guest

    Sounds like a hardware issue to me since Windows will BSOD given a chance
    and tell you what is wrong if it were software or some hardware issues.

    Try running memtest86 to verify RAM is OK - overnight is a good idea. 1 or
    more errors indicate that you either have faulty RAM, or RAM timing
    setttings in BIOS, incompatible RAM etc. Do not expect any OS to work if you
    get RAM Errors.

    Try a Knoppix or BartPE CD to eliminate other sources EG HDD, cables, etc.

    Mercury, Nov 25, 2005
  5. I experience the same problem with my x64. But it is more than once a day. It
    is more like random freezes. It could be 5 minutes between or several hours.
    It freezes for about 7-10 seconds.
    I have Vista x64 on the same computer (= exactly same hardware), but another
    partition. Vista never freeze.
    I have done new installs after formating, but no change.

    --

    Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
    P4 3.73 GHz EE

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Nov 25, 2005
  6. I would also take a look at the Event Viewer.
    Some useful data might be collected from there.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
    I am sorry report that i am still at a loss - the ram seems to be ok
    according to MS RAM test, and the rest pretty much checks out too - although
    i wasn't able to run PCProbe (i suspect it doesnt support x64 just yet).. As
    for changes in drivers - I installed x64 about 3 days ago - ALL I've been
    doing is changing drivers.. :)
    well, i guess i'll just see how it goes and if it gets worse perhaps me and
    the x64 will part ways for a little while..

    =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=, Nov 26, 2005
  8. When you 'change drivers', do you take proper care and remove the previous
    driver first, or just re-install on top? The Graphics Card is very new -
    nVidia issues new drivers all the time, check that you have the latest until
    it calms down.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 26, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    Will Guest

    Sounds about right, my system often freezes if I overclock it too far.

    Very unlikely the OS is to blame (providing all the latest drivers & bios
    installed) and more likely hardware.

    Might also be worth checking out any other connected devices such as USB as
    the potential cause.

    Will, Nov 26, 2005
  10. Asus PCProbe runs fine on my x64 machine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 26, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    But you need the 64-bit version and at least my MOBO CD only had the 32-bit
    version.

    John Barnes, Nov 26, 2005
  12. Why do you need a 64-bit version?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 26, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't have any idea. Just know the one on the CD wouldn't work and they
    have a 64-bit version on the website that installs and works.

    Probe_64bit.zip

    John Barnes, Nov 26, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Didn't mean to be short in my first response, but my chipset fan is failing
    and until ASUS gets off their arse and gets the new one to me, sometimes
    when probe shows 0 rpm I get off rapidly. The graph of the fan speed is
    like an oscillator except the sharp dives to 0

    John Barnes, Nov 26, 2005
  15. as it does here, which is why I suggested it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Works fine here too, just the one on the mobo CD works fine on x86 and the
    one from the website (probe_64bit.zip) work great on x64.

    John Barnes, Nov 26, 2005
  17. Rule #1. Download the correct, 64-bit, versions of utilities, drivers, etc.,
    from your mobo or other mfg BEFORE YOU START.
    Rule #2: See rule #1.
    Rule #3: See rule #1.
    Rule #... you get the picture.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    It was not available when I installed my board. The 64-bit version was
    posted a couple of months after I had x64 installed. :)

    John Barnes, Nov 26, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    I have to agree with John. Asus didn't have a x64 version available, I was
    using "Motherboard Monitor" because it had a beta version that was
    compatable.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 27, 2005
  20. On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:21:42 -0500, "Dennis Pack"
    <> wrote:

    >I have to agree with John. Asus didn't have a x64 version available, I was
    >using "Motherboard Monitor" because it had a beta version that was
    >compatable.

    Which beta version of Motherboard Monitor is that? I understood that
    MBM hadn't been under development for the last couple of years.
    J. Eric Durbin, Nov 27, 2005