    is not acceptable.My Hardware: ASUS P5LD2, P4 Dual Core 3000Mhz, 4 GB DDR2,
    2x Maxtor 250GB SATA/Raid1Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Which
    approach?Thanks in advance.Dieter--

    DieterS, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Nope, boot time for me is less than 15 seconds to reach the log in screen.
    14 seconds to apply personal settings and reach the desktop. I am running a
    AMD Sempron 1.6 Ghz with 448MBs of RAM. Applications Office, CAD, Photoshop.
    Internet Explorer 4 seconds max to open, page load time depends on what type
    of connection you have Broadband or Dialup.

    I would recommend you do a defragmentation of your hard disk, empty your
    temporary files, clean Internet Cache.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 12, 2006

  3. DieterS

    DieterS Guest

    Andre,
    the startup times you mention is exactly what I am used to have. Be sure, my
    disk is fragmented, even there is not very much installed until now, except
    MS office, since I have made the setup only 3 days before. The temporary
    files comprise only around 40MB.

    Dieter, still searching for an approach. .

    DieterS, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Maybe you need to do a BIOS update then or run this little software called
    memtest86 to see if its a memory issue:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 12, 2006
  5. BIOS update - make sure you're at the latest. Also, make sure you have the
    AMD Dual core driver installed. And finally, try this without any USB
    devices attached.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 12, 2006
  6. I updated the BIOS. But the increase in performance came after I updated the
    driver for the network card. IE and Windows Explorer open now as usual.
    That's what I wanted to have.

    But there is still the extremly long boot time. This is abnormal and I am
    working on this. If anyone has an idea, please give a hint.

    Many thanks again to all of you for the quick replies to my message..

    Dieter Sabolewski

    Dieter Sabolewski, Apr 13, 2006
  7. Any Device that your BIOS and/or OS is having activated, that you are in
    fact not using, may have the machine spend a loooong time looking for them.
    Since you are running SATA you may find disabling the IDE subsystem in BIOS
    to speed things up a substantial bit.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 13, 2006
  8. DieterS

    Bill Guest

    Also, check to see which setting you are using in BIOS for plug and play OS.
    I changed mine to "No" and the boots speeded up considerably with x64..

    Bill

    Bill, Apr 13, 2006
  9. If there's anything iffy about the NIC, that will definitely slow things
    down on the boot. WAY down.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2006
  10. Thanks all for your recommendations. I found the reason:

    Nothing did really fit to satisfy my needs. After changing the configuration
    to SATA/Raid 5 with another disk (have now 3 SATA Maxtor 250GB) and a new
    x64 setup the system suddenly works as expected. Better and impressive boot
    and load times than with the formerly x86. Really that what you want to
    have, together with the better disk usage of Raid 5 vs Raid 1.

    Obviously the Intel Raid on the ASUS board did not work harmonically with
    the Bios of the Maxtor SATA disks in the formerly configuration. In the
    meantime I have those short times, that the complete boot process from
    powerOn via logOn to the open WindowsUserScreen is some 1 min.

    I'm really happy now with my new configuration.
    Dieter Sabolewski

    Dieter Sabolewski, Apr 16, 2006