x64 fast outbound - slow inbound net traffic

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Computerflyer, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. I have a GA K8N-SLI mobo using x64, all patches, latest GA and NVidia
    drivers. Somewhere along the way the network has been damaged so that
    transfers outbound to an XPX86 system run at full speed, but transfers
    back run at roughly 10% of the outbound (100base) xfer rate. Using
    the X64 system, VOIP speed tests on the ADSL report 234 kbps up, but
    only 225 kbps down on the 1500 mbps link. The X86 system gets close to
    full bandwidth on the ADSL in both directions, and has a K8N-9 mobo, so
    it looks like the X64 system.

    I have switched out the firewall-routers and the ADSL modem without
    change in behavior, I have also used the tweakers to set XP buffer
    sizes - while the buffer sizes make modest improvements it still is not
    close to being "right."

    I also occassionally get the network "disconnected" followed
    immediately by a "connected" message. Since the reconnect is
    instantaneous it is an annoyance rather than a problem.

    I uninstalled the nVidia firewall; uninstalled all the nVidia drivers
    via control panel, and reinstalled the latest nVidia drivers without
    the firewall. I am using ghostwall now, Windows firewall disabled.

    Any further ideas?

    Thanks,

    Computerflyer, Dec 27, 2006

  2. I am not sure, if you re-install the motherboard drivers, that you don't
    expose yourself to that 'firewall bug' yet again? Someone else is bound to
    step in, so hang on - in the mean-time you could try and do the execise once
    more - Install/Un-install!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Re: x64 fast outbound - slow inbound net traffic

    Tony,

    BINGO! I uninstalled just the ethernet drivers, hoping X64 might have
    some generics. It could not find the bus let alone the ethernet card.
    I then used the update driver applet for the unknown bus, and pointed
    to the drivers directories until it found the bus driver... voila. All
    is well.

    Thanks for the encouragement to do it yet again, in a more controlled
    manner :)

    Computerflyer, Dec 27, 2006