    their program is hosed and I let them know that. So my question is does
    anyone know away around this to add the x64 bit drivers, without having to
    use their stupid program?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Michael:
    Try extracting the installation files contained in the .exe by using some
    compression program like WinRAR.
    I always do it that way.
    That will set you free from the self-imploding temp folder.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 20, 2007

  3. This may solve only one problem, I am not experienced with network printers,
    but I think you need to install those drivers on the machine where the
    printer(s) are actually connected. You don't do this via the usual
    installation process, but via some tab in one of the networking dialogs -
    Pardon me if I'm totally off on this one, I am certain I saw something once
    that enabled you to install drivers for networking printers on another OS
    this way. Doing this, you should be fine with the USB provision.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 20, 2007
  4. if the printers are connected via ethernet, then you install the drivers by
    extracting them, and when you go to install the driver, you create a new
    TCP/IP port. This port points to the IP address of the printer. (If you need
    to set the IP address so that it properly resides on your network, you'll
    need to either be able to set it from the front panel, have it actually work
    from DHCP, or set up a machine on the same physical segment of wire to be in
    the same subnet as it currently is, and then either telnet into it, or use
    the web interface if it has one.)

    If the printers are "network" in that they are connected to another computer
    on the network, and shared, then you install the drivers on the machine that
    is physically connected to the printer. See the steps in my blog on printer
    drivers for details.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 20, 2007
  5. How does one do this because each time I tried with WinRAR all it did was
    compress the .exe file? So that doesn't help me extract them.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 21, 2007
  6. That is what I am trying to install them on, well technically. I am trying
    to install the drivers on the server, since that will host the drivers for
    all the clients. But it has no USB port and the printer is not USB either,
    it is ethernet.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 21, 2007
  7. And therein lies the problem, extracting the drivers. The TCP/IP port is
    setup and it recieved it via DHCP, and the server can see the printer in
    print management, when I try to set it up. But since I do not have x64 bit
    drivers, readily available I am unable to install the printer on the server.
    I would have no problem if I knew a way of getting drivers that worked. But
    HP has made this impossible and their customer support just runs me around in
    a circle.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 21, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    To look at the files in the exe package:

    One way-
    Change the file extension to rar. Use WinRar or similar to open the
    package and extract to whatever directory you want.

    "Michael R. Mastro II" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Tom Ferguson, Oct 21, 2007
  9. Michael:
    It might be possible that WinRAR is not recognizing the compression format,
    not showing the option to decompress it.
    One last shot.
    Right-click, open with, and point to WinRAR.exe file location.
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 21, 2007
  10. Ok I tried that, does not give the Open with, since it is an .exe file. Also
    tried renaming it to a .rar and .zip file and each time came up wrong file
    type or corrupted. Spent another hour on the phone with HP and they say that
    Windows is messed up since it is not running through the program. So I am in
    the middle of a he said she said war and not getting any closer.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 21, 2007
  11. Michael:
    "Open with" can be forced to appear by pressing the Shift key (keep it
    pressed) and then right-clicking on the file.
    Would the .exe be corrupted somehow?
    Did you try downloading it again with the help of a download manager program
    (i.e.: flashget)?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 22, 2007
  12. Ok I do not know why, but shift and right-clicking on my computers does not
    bring up the "Open with". I downloaded the .exe files again, this time with
    a download manager, and it still says corrupt when trying to open it with
    WinRAR. Guess it is not meant to be.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 22, 2007
  13. My mistake.
    The Shift, right-click trick doesn't work on .exe's.
    Sorry.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 22, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=

    Graham Guest

    Carlos wrote:
    > My mistake.
    > The Shift, right-click trick doesn't work on .exe's.
    > Sorry.
    > Carlos

    What happens if you rename the file first? To something like .txt (not
    ..dll or some other executable file suffix).

    Graham.

    Graham, Oct 22, 2007
  15. Graham:
    Renaming the file allows the shift right-click "open with" menu to appear.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 23, 2007
  16. I have tried changing it to a .rar file and this didn't work either. Should
    I try and make it a .txt file or something?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 23, 2007
  17. Is this some deskjet device? The laser printers normally have an exe but
    they just uncompress the files which include the decorated infs.

    Make sure you get the Network drivers not the full package since there is
    architecture specific files.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Michael R. Mastro II" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Oct 24, 2007
  18. It is a Photosmart printer. I downloaded bothe the full package and the
    network only drivers. I have been trying the network only drivers with no
    success, though I did try the full package once, and that led to the same
    thing. I wish that the .exe file just decompressed and left you the .inf
    files, but it doesn't. They wrote it so it is a whole install package. This
    has me totally perplexed and I am generally annoyed at this whole situation.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=, Oct 25, 2007
  19. there are several x64 photosmart drivers included in Vista x64, these can
    be added remotely from x64 Vista or share the
    \system32\driverstore\filerepositry directory on an x64 installed Vista
    machine. These are all inf based. You will need to also install the
    matching Vista x86 driver if the driver name is different than the one from
    HP

    HP Photosmart 2570 series" ;
    "HP Photosmart 2600 series" =
    "HP Photosmart 2700 series" = ,
    "HP Photosmart 3100 series" =
    "HP Photosmart 320 Series" =
    "HP Photosmart 3200 series" =
    "HP Photosmart 330 Series" =
    "HP Photosmart 3300 series"
    "HP Photosmart 370 Series"
    "HP Photosmart 380 Series" = ,
    "HP Photosmart 420 Series" = _
    "HP Photosmart 470 Series" = ,
    "HP Photosmart 7200 Series" =
    "HP Photosmart 7400 Series"
    "HP Photosmart 7800 Series" =
    "HP Photosmart 8000 Series" =
    "HP Photosmart 8100 Series"
    "HP Photosmart 8200 Series" =
    "HP Photosmart 8400 Series"
    "HP Photosmart 8700 Series"

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Michael R. Mastro II" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Oct 25, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSLiBNYXN0cm8gSUk=?=

    Carpadum Guest

    Have you tried the HP Universal Print Driver for x64 based systems. This is
    a driver that is designed to work with almost all HP printers. We use it on
    our x64 print server.

    Carpadum, Dec 7, 2007