    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Aug 28, 2005

  2. Don't bother with Adobe for PDF printer -- there are good ones out there
    already that work just fine. I'm using deskPDF from docudesk. Works well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2005

  3. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > Don't bother with Adobe for PDF printer

    I'm a graphic designer and have recently bought Creative Suite 2
    Premium so I expect that they release a x64 compatible PDF printer
    sooner or later (god knows that I have requested it more than once
    on their feature request page).

    > -- there are good ones out there already that work just fine.
    > I'm using deskPDF from docudesk. Works well.

    I'm not trying to start a war here, but I simply don't trust other
    PDF writers. They are good enough to make simple PDF files for
    screen viewing or "home-printing", but professional graphic design
    like newsprint, magazines and catalogues is a completely different
    ballgame.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Aug 28, 2005
  4. I understand and won't start a war. But I would suggest you try it. Since
    you don't have an Adobe solution right now, give it a try. You can always
    take it off when the trial period ends.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2005
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > I understand and won't start a war. But I would suggest you try
    > it. Since you don't have an Adobe solution right now, give it a
    > try.

    You're right, Charlie. Maybe I should give it a try. After all I
    still have WinXP x86 and the PDF printer from Adobe installed,
    so it can't go completely wrong. I would just love to be able to
    delete my x86 installation and move over to WinXP x64 soon because
    it's a great operating system. Very fast and very stable from my
    point of view.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Aug 28, 2005
  6. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it coming from a
    professional view. My only need for PDF is fairly limited, since my main
    work tool is Word. (well, and Outlook.) And word docs print quite well with
    deskPDF, in my experience. But my requirements aren't all that difficult.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it coming from a
    > professional view.

    Actually it's not bad. I have seen much worse PDF writers than
    deskPDF. I just miss a few things.

    For instance:

    1) I can't find an option to decide at what resolution it will
    resample color and grayscale images and to what resolution it
    shall resample to. Actually I can't even find an option to edit
    the predefined PDF quality presets.

    2) I miss an option to be able to subset fonts or not. It seems
    that it just makes its own decision on that matter.

    3) Is it true that there's no PDF viewer in the package?
    I have downloaded and installed the deskPDF Professional 2.5 but
    when the PDF files is made, it's not associated with any program
    and no matter what exe-file I pick inside the Program Files(x86)\
    Docudesk\deskPDF folder, it can't open it.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Aug 28, 2005
  8. actually, it auto-installed a PDF viewer (ghostscript based, I think) when I
    installed it and it didn't find one. I have since overwritten that
    requirement by installing Acrobat Professional 6.0, so I get that for a
    viewer (works fine, actually).

    As for the options stuff -- out of my league. By all means send them an
    email with your concerns. I know when I asked them about x64 support when
    x64 first shipped, they were quite responsive. Said it was on their list,
    and they hoped to have it shipping in 2.5, but when 2.5 came out they didn't
    have it working right yet so it wasn't in there. But they actually emailed
    me telling me it was still coming, but running later than they'd hoped. And
    then sent me a link recently when they went to beta for me to try it out.
    Overall, I've found them quite willing to hear what your needs are and
    respond to them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2005
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > By all means send them an email with your concerns.

    Maybe I will.

    > I know when I asked them about x64 support when x64 first
    > shipped, they were quite responsive.

    That sounds promising.

    --
    Regards