x64 decoders for audio/video

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jan 23, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Carlos
    "I am now using WMPx64 on a regular basis instead of WMPx86"

    How do I know which version I have running when I click on WMP.?
    How do I call the WPMx64 version,or do you have to d/l it?
    What version is called in Vista 64 Ultimate when you click on WPM?

    Thanks

    Kue2, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Since the 64-bit version is in Program Files and the 32-bit version is in
    Program Files (x86) and they are both version 11.0.6000.6344, if you check
    the properties for the shortcut you use to call the program and click on
    Open File Location it will show you which one is being called when you run
    the program. Default Programs does not offer a choice so I suspect it is a
    registry change to use the 64-bit version by default. I found 0 KB articles
    on the subject.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 24, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    Clicking on the WMP icon fires up WMPx86.
    I have created a shortcut to WMPx64 on my desktop.
    WMPx64 is the one located in the \Program Files folder.
    WMPx86 is the one located in the \Program Files (x86)
    I cannot remember (I'm at XP right now at work) the exact name of the
    subfolder where both are located but I think it is "Windows Media Player".
    What I do is to drag the file I want to view/listen from Windows Explorer to
    the shortcut I created on my desktop.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 24, 2008
  5. I suspected you were doing that. I tried to go a little further and figure
    out how to make WMP64 the default. No luck.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Is this applicable to all Windows x64 or just XP Pro x64?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Colin,
    It should work on XP Pro x64, but you don't have WMP 64-bit there.
    Only 32-bit WMP is available in XP Pro x64.
    Nevertheless you also have the "regular" ffdshow x86
    (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm) that allows decoding in
    WMPx86 in XP x64 and Vista x64 and any other 32-bit player you may throw in.
    Both versions of ffdshow (x86 and x64) can coexist simultaneously in Vista
    x64.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 24, 2008
  8. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    In a nutshell...

    - ffdshow x86: for XP 32-bit, XP 64-bit, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit
    Gives 32-bit decoding for any 32-bit program needing it (players, etc.)

    - ffdshow x86: for XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit
    Gives 64-bit decoding for any 64-bit program needing it (WMPx64, Windows
    Movie Maker, etc.)

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 24, 2008