x64 crash - boot.ini error

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Don't know if i installed any software that might have caused it, but x64
    locked up (which is rare), so I cycled power, then it wouldn't boot with a
    bios message of 'cannot locate SATA 0'.

    I thought I had a disk failure (WDigital).

    But lo, it came back after I checked motherboard cables and ran diagnostics.

    now it tries to boot, but it says boot.ini may be damaged.

    Tried the MS KB article 330184
    Recovery console bootcfg commands and now a menu of 2 profiles appears at
    boot and i've tried choosing both but still no go.
    It goes black and then spontaneously reboots.

    Tried to go into safe mode, but same thing, spontaneously reboots after
    listing all the boot files for a screenfull...

    Any ideas?

    thanks.

    wewa, Jul 6, 2005

  2. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    Try reloading NTDETECT.com and ntldr on your root drive.

    John Barnes, Jul 6, 2005

  3. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    You might change the boot sequence of your drives to see if it will boot
    from it (after creating a new boot.ini from recovery console if necessary).
    Its boot files might give you a chance to check for problems on the other
    drive.

    John Barnes, Jul 6, 2005
  4. You can fix your boot.ini from the recovery console on your Windows CD.
    Select option R and use bootcfg /help at the command prompt a
    bootcfg /list will show you what is there and you can select the option
    that you want
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 6, 2005
  5. Hello,
    You can run bootcfg /rebuild.
    This scans the drives for Windows installations and prompts to add the
    entries to the boot.ini file.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Subject: Re: x64 crash - boot.ini error
    <Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:25:58 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <You can fix your boot.ini from the recovery console on your Windows CD.
    <Select option R and use bootcfg /help at the command prompt a
    <bootcfg /list will show you what is there and you can select the option
    <that you want
    <--
    <Andre
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <
    <"wewa" <> wrote in message
    <> Don't know if i installed any software that might have caused it, but x64
    <> locked up (which is rare), so I cycled power, then it wouldn't boot with
    <> bios message of 'cannot locate SATA 0'.
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 6, 2005
  6. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I did do a 'list,' then 'rebuild' command from recovery console.
    That is how i ended up with 2 profiles upon boot.
    Did i do it wrong?

    I followed the MS KB article carefully... hmm.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    wewa, Jul 7, 2005
  7. wewa

    John Barnes Guest

    I read your post and saw your steps. That is why I suggested repairing your
    boot.ini only when you change boot sequence when the new root drive will
    have a different boot.ini

    John Barnes, Jul 7, 2005