    "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

    My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
    if more information is required.
    =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=, Oct 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have SATA drives you may need to provide drivers using F6 early in
    the install

    John Barnes, Oct 25, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    Did you press the F6 key during the Windwos Installation to and feed it the
    necessary x64 driver for the disk controller? My guess is that the
    controller in the workstation isnt natively supported by the x64 media.

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Oct 25, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

    Theo Guest

    Go to the HP web site and download the driver for Win x64.
    They have a whole page of them for everything in the system.
    Apparently you need the chipset drivers because you have
    SATA drives in the box!

    Theo, Oct 25, 2006
  5. I downloaded the the chipset, ran the .exe, burned the files to a CD,
    rebooted the machine with the x64 setup disks, hit F6 to specify disks, fed
    the CD with the burned chipset setup file and it came back with "it could not
    find the floppy drive". This machine does not have a floppy drive. I copied
    the setup file and the .cva file when I ran the .exe onto the CD. Am I
    copying the wrong file?

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=, Oct 26, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Drivers can only be loaded via floppy drive during Windows setup.
    (Actually, I think there is a way to burn a new Windows install CD with
    additional drivers, but I haven't done this myself.)
    You cannot load the drivers from a separate CD.

    This is silly, yes, however, in Windows Vista you can finally load drivers
    from other media (CD or USB flash drive).

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 26, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

    Theo Guest

    With Win x64 you have to have a floppy to load the drivers
    during installation.

    You need to contact HP Tech Support by telephone and discuss
    your problem with them because it looks like their driver
    package does not have the standard layout needed to load the
    drivers via floppy. It may not be the correct file, either.

    You must realize this is not a hardware Tech Support forum.
    It's a forum for finding solutions to problems with 64-bit
    Windows operating systems. You obviously are in over your
    head and you need to go to HP for Tech Support to solve your
    dilemma.

    Theo, Oct 26, 2006
  8. 1.) You don't need the "chipset" drivers. You need the disk controller
    drivers, which are usually separate from the chipset drivers.
    2.) You need the specific "F6" floppy drive portion of those drivers.
    3.) You need a floppy drive. Period. Borrow one from another machine, use a
    USB floppy drive, buy one -- I don't care how you get there, but you MUST
    have a floppy drive to install the drivers. The XP (and older, all the way
    back to NT3.1) boot loader ONLY knows to look to the floppy for these
    drivers. That won't change until Vista.
    4.) You seem like a nice person, but you also appear to be in over your
    head. Are you sure you want to be installing XP x64? It's not generally
    recommended for the casual Windows user unless there's a specific need. What
    application or other need is driving you to XP x64?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2006