    OSes without the need for guest OS modifications in a hypervisor (Xen in
    particular).

    Wondering if this includes XP x64....

    Mark Gillespie, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Mark Gillespie

    gs Guest

    includes longhorn (vista?), VMware, don't know about xp64

    gs, Jul 18, 2006

  3. As long as the virtualization software supports 64bit guests, XP Pro x64
    would run like any other guest.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Mark Gillespie

    Jed Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:30:01 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, I decided to buy a E6600 Core Duo 2 CPU and board Asus A5B (and a
    >FX7600 Passive PCI-E GFX card), it's on pre-order.
    >
    >Wondering if anyone has tried Vanderpool virtualization? As I understand
    >it, if you have a CPU with x86 virtulization support, you can run guest
    >OSes without the need for guest OS modifications in a hypervisor (Xen in
    >particular).
    >
    >Wondering if this includes XP x64....

    You might want to keep on eye on this:

    http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/columnItem/0,294698,sid14_gci1197021,00.html

    Would Blue Pill create a matrix for PCs?

    [...]

    She (Rutkowska) describes it in detail in her Invisible Things blog,
    and plans to show how it works at a couple upcoming security
    conferences, including the Black Hat Briefings in Las Vegas Aug. 3.

    In the blog she writes: "Imagine a malware whose capabilities to
    remain undetectable do not rely on obscurity of the concept, malware
    which could not be detected even though its algorithm (concept) is
    publicly known. Let's go further and imagine that even its code could
    be made public, but still there would be no way for detecting that
    this creature is running on our machines..."

    "Rutkowska said she's been working on just such a creature over the
    past few months, and has code-named it Blue Pill. She claims it to be
    100% undetectable malware that's not based on an obscure concept.

    "The idea behind Blue Pill is simple, she said. The operating system
    "swallows" the Blue Pill and it awakes inside a Matrix controlled by
    the "ultra thin Blue Pill hypervisor." This all happens without
    restarting the system.

    "There is no performance penalty and all the devices, like graphics
    card, are fully accessible to the operating system, which is now
    executing inside [the] virtual machine," she said. "This is all
    possible thanks to the latest virtualization technology from AMD
    called SVM/Pacifica."

    Jed, Jul 18, 2006