  1. Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be released
    that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so this is a major
    inconvienance for me.
    =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=, Jun 6, 2005

  2. It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your OEM.
    That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP right now for
    many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers, and while I agree it's
    an annoyance to use F6 when you first install, that's the only time you need
    to worry about it. Once it's installed, you're good.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be released
    > that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so this is a major
    > inconvienance for me.

    It is compatible right now, you just need to hit F6 when loading Win XP 64
    and load the 64 bit SATA drivers for your motherboard. Most of the 64 bit
    motherboards do have Win64 SATA drivers for them already.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jun 6, 2005
  4. "i1zuhg3n1u5" <> wrote in:

    > Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be
    > released that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so
    > this is a major inconvienance for me.

    Never I think. I believe you're seeing the one and only X64 release, next
    will be Longhorn.

    You're best bet might be to slipstream your SATA drivers into the X64 CD.

    Just in case you need it, here's one how to:

    http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm

    Google will find many more, my apologies if you already knew how to do this.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 6, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Sam Guest

    Its already there, no need for extra driver unless your using raid.
    Just make sure computer bios sees the sata drive before you install.
    Sam, Jun 6, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Rick Guest

    Probably when Hell freezes over. Of course, it might happen just before
    Hell freezes over!

    Rick, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your OEM.
    > That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP right now for
    > many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers, and while I agree it's
    > an annoyance to use F6 when you first install, that's the only time you need
    > to worry about it. Once it's installed, you're good.

    Assuming you have a 15 year old 1.44Mb floppy disk fitted, otherwise
    your pretty much screwed when it comes to installing SATA drivers for XP64.

    A very embarrassing undersight IMHO by Microsoft. You would think in
    this day and age, setup could load drivers of a USB drive, but then it
    XP X64 is running a hacked NT3.51 setup from 15 years ago...
    Mark Gillespie, Jun 7, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Using F6 works just fine with my USB Floppy Disk Drive. I have a Dell 8400
    Desktop (EM64T) with A06 BIOS running Windows XP X64 Edition.

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Totally depends on your chipset. NForce4 doesn't need them. As far as I
    remember Nforce3 and Via do.

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative. Actually, there is one -- creating
    a slipstream installation. But that's non-trivial and probably more work than
    the $10-15 that a new floppy drive goes for. Yes, it's a pain. I haven't
    bought a floppy drive with any of the last 3 or 4 computers I bought. But
    broke down and bought one just to get around this (and similar problems on my
    32-bit server, I might add, since it's running RAID.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005
  11. Not reliably, Kevin. Depends entirely on your BIOS. Some support it early
    enough, some don't.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005
  12. Kevin Panzke got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > Using F6 works just fine with my USB Floppy Disk Drive. I have a Dell 8400
    > Desktop (EM64T) with A06 BIOS running Windows XP X64 Edition.
    >
    > "Mark Gillespie" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
    >>
    >>>It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your OEM.
    >>>That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP right now
    >>>for many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers, and while I
    >>>agree it's an annoyance to use F6 when you first install, that's the only
    >>>time you need to worry about it. Once it's installed, you're good.
    >>>

    >>Assuming you have a 15 year old 1.44Mb floppy disk fitted, otherwise your
    >>pretty much screwed when it comes to installing SATA drivers for XP64.
    >>
    >>A very embarrassing undersight IMHO by Microsoft. You would think in this
    >>day and age, setup could load drivers of a USB drive, but then it XP X64
    >>is running a hacked NT3.51 setup from 15 years ago...

    I was really referring to USB drive, as in pen drive, rather than USB
    Floppy, but even USB floppy is hit and miss...
    Mark Gillespie, Jun 7, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:39:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative.

    What's the problem of installing them on the Windows installation CD
    in the first place? Most new computers don't come with floppy-drives
    anymore.

    jud'
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 7, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Rick Guest

    If you mean a USB floppy drive, you can load the drivers on many
    computer with a USB floppy. You have to enable "legacy support" in your
    BIOS for the USB floppy to be seen by the installation program.

    Rick, Jun 7, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, John - and Sam.

    My year-old EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo has the nForce3 250GB chipset, which controls 2
    onboard SATA connectors. I downloaded the final x64 from MSDN last month
    and burned the ISO to a CD-ROM. When I booted from that CD, it installed
    x64 to my new SATA HD without my having to use the F6 key! The 06/05 DVD
    from MSDN includes the RTM version of x64, so I burned a new CD from that
    ISO and installed x64 from scratch again. Again, the F6 key was not
    required.

    I'm NOT using RAID of any kind; my SATA HD is "just another IDE drive" in my
    system. If I were using RAID, I might need to use F6, but I don't know.
    Also, my mobo has 4 more SATA/RAID connectors supported by an onboard
    SiI3114 controller; I might need F6 if I wanted to boot from a SATA drive on
    one of those connectors, but I don't know that, either.

    When I got Win2K in 2000, I had to use F6 each time I installed - or
    re-installed - Win2K. WinXP (32) had my AHA-2930U2 drivers built-in, so I
    didn't have to use F6 anymore. And I'm VERY happy that I don't have to use
    F6 now to install either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of WinXP with my SATA
    drive as the boot device.

    This seems to confirm: It depends on your chipset.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 7, 2005
  16. Jud Hendrix <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:39:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative.

    > What's the problem of installing them on the Windows installation CD
    > in the first place? Most new computers don't come with floppy-drives
    > anymore.
    >
    > jud'

    Hi Jud,

    As far as I understand, it will be done with Longhorn....
    Not a bad news :)

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 7, 2005
  17. R. C. White <> wrote:
    > Hi, John - and Sam.
    >
    > My year-old EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo has the nForce3 250GB chipset, which
    > controls 2 onboard SATA connectors. I downloaded the final x64 from
    > MSDN last month and burned the ISO to a CD-ROM. When I booted from
    > that CD, it installed x64 to my new SATA HD without my having to use
    > the F6 key! The 06/05 DVD from MSDN includes the RTM version of x64,
    > so I burned a new CD from that ISO and installed x64 from scratch
    > again. Again, the F6 key was not required.
    >
    > I'm NOT using RAID of any kind; my SATA HD is "just another IDE
    > drive" in my system. If I were using RAID, I might need to use F6,
    > but I don't know. Also, my mobo has 4 more SATA/RAID connectors
    > supported by an onboard SiI3114 controller; I might need F6 if I
    > wanted to boot from a SATA drive on one of those connectors, but I
    > don't know that, either.
    > When I got Win2K in 2000, I had to use F6 each time I installed - or
    > re-installed - Win2K. WinXP (32) had my AHA-2930U2 drivers built-in,
    > so I didn't have to use F6 anymore. And I'm VERY happy that I don't
    > have to use F6 now to install either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of
    > WinXP with my SATA drive as the boot device.
    >
    > This seems to confirm: It depends on your chipset.
    >
    > RC

    Hi RC,

    nothing else to say, I agree with you

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 7, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:07:11 +0200, "Christian Hougardy"
    <> wrote:

    >As far as I understand, it will be done with Longhorn....
    >Not a bad news :)

    That'll be next year then, for normal people :)

    But what I thought, MS is now doing this downloading thing of x64, so
    it would be quite easy to update the ISO with patches which do include
    installation of drivers off disk, and also easy to update them. And
    for those buying in the shop, well, they have to suffer ;-)
    If the idea takes off, I get a dollar for every disk downloaded for
    the idea :)

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 7, 2005
  19. creating a slipstream installation for every possible beta I might be on is
    really not worth the amount of work it would take, as compared to buying a
    $15 floppy drive. If I spend more than 5 minutes, once, doing it, the drive
    is paid for. And given the number of times I have to do this during even one
    beta...

    As to why MS couldn't put them on the CD? They aren't yet certified drivers,
    and the HW mfg's never have the drivers ready in time for inclusion in the
    base OS.

    But what we _do_ need is the ability to choose an alternate source for the F6
    drivers -- CD, DVD, USB key drive, floppy, whatever. That's something I
    suspect we'll get in Longhorn, but right now isn't there and is a PITA.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005
  20. works on some mobos, not on others. And varies by USB floppy drive, actually,
    as well. So not reliable. Useful when it does, however.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 7, 2005