x64 and downloads

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. I've got a few questions. I'm using windows x64. For the most part, I like
    the OS. It's slightly less stable than XP Pro, but I can live with that.
    There are a few bugs that I would like more information on, though, ie, if
    anyone else has had them, or if there are fixes, etc. They have to do with
    downloads.

    On several web pages, when pictures are downloaded, sometimes, they seem to
    get corrupted in the download. I really can't describe it, so here's a
    screenshot of some pics that I found doing this.

    http://www.geocities.com/pgraptor2/untitled.JPG

    As you can see, I get weird coloration and splitting of the picture. This
    doesn't always happen; I can empty my cache and refresh, sometimes it'll do
    this again (different pattern, but still off like that), and sometimes it
    will download correctly. Also, I whenever I download a zip file, I always
    get a "Cannot read file" error (using microsoft's built in zip thing with
    windows explorer). Also, whenever I download exe's, parts are always
    corrupted. Both of these occur no matter how many times I re-download the
    file. What I usually end up doing is downloading the file on my laptop (XP
    Pro 32) and then transfering it over to my x64 machine, then the files work
    fine.

    Has anyone else had these problems, and is there anything I could do to
    solve them?

    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 20, 2005

  2. That looks like an issue with FireFox or does it also happen with IE? It
    could also be your video card drivers.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 20, 2005

  3. I just tested, it happens with both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of IE as
    well. I thought it might be the video drivers as well (I had had trouble
    with playing videos that turned out to be a gamma correction problem), but
    then why would it also affect executables and zips? I'm currently running
    77.72, I will update to the 81.85's that are on the nvidia site tonight to
    see if that makes a difference.

    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Update the video card drivers and report back.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 21, 2005
  5. Had the same problem with downloads and viewing pictures online under normal
    32bit XP. It occurred with both IE and FireFox. Anything i downloaded over
    about 500kb became corrupted. Turned out to be a prbolem in my BIOS, the
    clock speed of my RAM was set to AUTO so i changed it to 400Mhz (which is the
    speed of my ram) and the Latency time was also incorrect in the BIOS setting
    i think it was set to 2 and it needed to be set to 3. I changed these
    settings and fixed the problem to a certain degree. So i installed XP64 and
    are using my new BIOS settings and it is working fine. Hope this helps

    Cheers

    By the way i am running an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard (Nvidia Chipset), with 4
    x 512meg or RAM and an AMD 64 X2 4800+

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ5Y2U=?=, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Updated to 81.85, still getting the issue. I will look into that BIOS thing,
    but I'm pretty sure I've already manually set that stuff, as my BIOS set it
    wrong when I first booted up this computer.

    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 21, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=

    Mercury Guest

    I tend to agree with Bryce.
    The problem with the picures are smplythatyou are gettng only part of the
    file- the files areintereaed gif (I thnik) so are raw progressivey s
    theyreeceid
    Yu regettin part zip fils, part exe files ==? part files all over the place.
    Do you hae a LAN? I would try testing at ile copies across the LAN to see if
    the same issue occurs.

    If memory caused this as Bryce describes then the error may be occuring
    beacuse of a memory failure at a spciic location used by net-copy code and
    failing in suh a way that you are not getting any errors.

    If memory is failinng then memtest86 is a good idea - check the timings as
    above.

    I have also seen similar issues with shoddy network drivers.

    It won't hurt to check the graphics (and other) drivers.

    Mercury, Oct 21, 2005
  8. "Mercury" wrote:

    > I tend to agree with Bryce.
    > The problem with the picures are smplythatyou are gettng only part of the
    > file- the files areintereaed gif (I thnik) so are raw progressivey s
    > theyreeceid
    > Yu regettin part zip fils, part exe files ==? part files all over the place.
    > Do you hae a LAN? I would try testing at ile copies across the LAN to see if
    > the same issue occurs.

    I highly doubt that that is the problem. Well, it's obvious stuff is being
    corrupted when it is downloaded. However, I doubt it is the network because
    I did not have this problem with the 32 bit XP Pro installed on this
    computer. Also, if it were a network problem, then it would also be
    happening on my laptop.

    > If memory caused this as Bryce describes then the error may be occuring
    > beacuse of a memory failure at a spciic location used by net-copy code and
    > failing in suh a way that you are not getting any errors.
    >
    > If memory is failinng then memtest86 is a good idea - check the timings as
    > above.

    It's a possibility, but again, I wouldn't think so. I have my memory
    timings set to 2-2-2-5 for Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro.

    > I have also seen similar issues with shoddy network drivers.

    I've got the NVidia 6.66 NForce drivers in for that. Again, I will check for
    updates.

    If it helps, my system configuration:
    http://www.geocities.com/pgraptor
    Old pics, but you get the idea.

    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 21, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=

    Mercury Guest

    sorry about the typing - new wireless keyboard and bung fingers / brain.

    Mercury, Oct 21, 2005
  10. Can anyone help me out with this? I can't download updates for windows
    because of this, as they all fail. Does no one else have this problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=, Oct 25, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?WGNhbGliZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Someone else mentioned that all the downloads showed as failed, but if you
    looked at the installed updates they were all listed. Maybe this is your
    case too. Check your installed updates and report back.

    John Barnes, Oct 26, 2005