    while back, but couldn't get it to install...is there something I need to do
    to get it to install, or am I just being dumb? (Probably the latter...)

    Andy Garrison

    Andy Garrison, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Nope, contact AOL or "bug" them about updating their software to support
    x64. I read somewhere in the newsgroups here, there is TCP/IP issues with
    AOL thats why it is not able to work on x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005

  3. None of the regulars here run AOL, so we can't specifically comment from
    personal experience, but all indications are that it doesn't currently work.
    AOL needs to write a system level driver if they're going to take over the
    tcp/ip stack like they seem to think they need to. The likelihood that I'll
    ever let them on one of my machines is zero, however.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  4. I'm not surprised...thanks for the help guys.

    Andy Garrison

    Andy Garrison, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Andy Garrison

    warpsix Guest

    the people at aol's beta chat said
    if you go to keyword beta 1st download acs 4.0 then download the strauss
    refresh they claim it will work (i take that with a grain of salt)i have
    not tried this due to the xp64 bit running so good (never got a bsod
    yet)i just make the wife reboot into the 32bit to use her aol

    warpsix, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Suppose Microsoft buys AOL and bundles it with Windows? ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  7. well, I don't run MSN, either! ;)

    But what matters is -- I'm not every running a proprietary (and untrusted!)
    TCP/IP stack. I'll stick with the one that comes with the OS, thank you.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  8. They would get sued by MSN for monopolistic behavior. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  9. "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > well, I don't run MSN, either! ;)
    >
    > But what matters is -- I'm not every running a proprietary (and untrusted!)
    > TCP/IP stack. I'll stick with the one that comes with the OS, thank you.

    AOL installs it's own virtual "Network Adapter" for tunneling purposes. If
    you connect to AOL on an existing TCP connection, the virutal adapter will
    get it's own public IP address which the AOL client and it's internal IE
    browser uses. Some older versions will use your computer's default IP when
    using IE though.

    Hey, VMware installs virtual adapters too. It's very similar. I've never
    had either interfere with the existing local network connection.

    =?Utf-8?B?emFjaw==?=, Jul 7, 2005