x64 - A smooth transition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Chris James, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Chris James

    Chris James Guest

    I would like to thank everyone who has posted into this ng as by going the
    postings them I have been able to install x64 successfully. I have been so
    impressed with x64 that I have changed over to it completely.

    I thought that I should post my experience.

    - Acer 5024WLMI
    - AMD Turion 64 ML-34
    - 1.25Gb RAM (upgraded from the 512Mb standard)
    - 100Gb HDD
    - ATI Mobility Raedon X700

    The Acer website had all the x64 drivers & BIOS upgrade available.

    All the Acer supplied software installs and works - except the Norton 2005
    AV, which I wasn't using anyway. These are:

    - MS Works
    - CyberLink Power Producer
    - NTI Backup Now! 4
    - NTI CD & DVD Maker 7
    - Acer Arcade
    - Acer eManager
    - Acer Launch Manager
    - Acer GridVista

    (The CD/DVD writer would not write before I installed the NTI software)

    Additional software successfully installed:

    - MS Plus
    - Adobe Acrobat Reader 7
    - Apex SQL Edit
    - Avast Anti Virus
    - Crystal Reports 8.5
    - DiskKeeper Professional Premier (Evaluation)
    - Epson DX4200 - printer connected to x86 PC
    - Google Earth
    - Google Desktop
    - VB6
    - SQL Server 2k MSDE
    - Microsoft Office 2003
    - Norton Ghost 2003
    - Norton Password Manager 2004
    - Favourite Screen Savers
    - Skype
    - Giant Spam Inspector
    - Windows Defender Beta

    Software that has failed:

    - Norton Internet Security 2006
    - Norton Ghost 10
    - Norton Partition Magic 8
    - Zone Alarm x64 Beta - kept crashing, I have reported to ZA
    - NOD32 - repeatedly froze on the final install screen
    - eTrust 7.1 - wouldn't install.
    - Adobe 7 Standard
    - AVG - Installed fine, but I wasn't happy with it as it clashed with Giant
    Anti Spam.
    - Micrografx Picture Publisher 7 - 16bit installer. Sigh, I finally have to
    retire my favourite graphcs program.
    - Micrografx Picture Publisher 10 DCE - loaded and ran fine BUT suddenly
    everything else started crashing. Removed it and after 2 reboots everything
    was OK.
    - PC Tools Spyware Doctor
    - PC Tools Registry Mechanic
    - PC Tools Anti Virus - I received the following response from PC Tools
    "Although we do not support any 64 bit versions, some customers have no
    problem installing in Windows XP 64."
    - Tiny Firewall - Installed fine, but would not let IE32 bit run, kept
    saying that it was trying to interact with Google Desktop, and this wasn't
    allowed. Hmmm.. Not very useful. IE64 Bit was fine.
    - Freecom DVB-T Decoder - no compatible drivers.
    - Motorola Mobile Phone software doesn't work - although without the
    software I can see the phone as anothe drive.

    For the past 10 years I've been using Norton products through to Internet
    Security 2006, and because they have not seen fit to develop a retail x64
    product (or maybe they have just disabled the latest products as the older
    Ghost & Password Manager work just fine - apart from NOT installing into
    (x86) folders - I have then in an x86 - no brackets folder)

    I have purchased Avast and am very happy with it, no shutdown problems that
    others have experienced. I've also saved a lot of money for he future and
    Symantec have lost a customer for the next 3 years. Any recommendations for
    an alternative would be welcome.

    The same goes with Adobe. I haven't decided which creator I'll buy, but it
    will NOT be an Abobe product again for the forseeable future.

    Once again thanks for the assistance that has been provided which has
    allowed me a smooth and easy path into 64 bit computing. I will continue to
    read this ng with interest and will try to contributr where I feel that I
    can.

    Apologies for the long post!

    Chris

    Chris James, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Congratulations Chris, one question which version or edition of Microsoft
    Plus! did you install on XP Professional x64?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Chris James

    Chris James Guest

    "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    > Congratulations Chris, one question which version or edition of Microsoft
    > Plus! did you install on XP Professional x64?

    The original one from when XP originally came out way back when!
    v1.00.00.0554

    Chris

    Chris James, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Chris James

    l e o Guest

    Chris James wrote:
> [...]
    > product (or maybe they have just disabled the latest products as the older
    > Ghost & Password Manager work just fine - apart from NOT installing into
    > (x86) folders - I have then in an x86 - no brackets folder)
    >
    > I have purchased Avast and am very happy with it, no shutdown problems that
    > others have experienced. I've also saved a lot of money for he future and
    > Symantec have lost a customer for the next 3 years. Any recommendations for
    > an alternative would be welcome.
    >
    > The same goes with Adobe. I haven't decided which creator I'll buy, but it
    > will NOT be an Abobe product again for the forseeable future.
    >
    > Once again thanks for the assistance that has been provided which has
    > allowed me a smooth and easy path into 64 bit computing. I will continue to
    > read this ng with interest and will try to contributr where I feel that I

    In my case, there are no drivers for Okidata C5100n, Adaptec SCSI and
    Epson 1200U. I am giving away the scanner. I can use the Brother MFC9700
    for my few scanning tasks but it's just a bit pity because the 1200S is
    SO fast. The absent of the Okidata printer driver is annoying. I have to
    print from other machines if I need color. (I have driver for the Epson
    R200 inkjet but I am going to retire it once I use up this set of inks
    because it is too costly to maintain!) No PDF writer driver from Adobe
    Acrobat is a big disappoint. How dare they still have not updating it,
    after almost one year??? My system is stable compare to XP because there
    is now no more insufficient in 16bit subsystem because those programs
    with 16bit components simply cannot be installed!!! :)

    l e o, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Chris James

    Martin S. Guest

    Leo, I'm using win2pdf without a problem, you might want to try it...

    http://www.win2pdf.com/

    Martin.

    Martin S., Mar 2, 2006
  6. Regarding Acrobat 7. It's true that the PDF Printer doesn't install or work.
    However you can circumvent that by setting up a postscript printer from any
    available (I use a Scitex profile) and printing to file. If you create a
    watched folder in Distiller, it will automatically distill the postscript
    file into your out folder. Works well. But I don't understand Adobe's lack
    of development.

    Dennis Gordon, Mar 2, 2006
  7. good to hear, Chris. Sounds like you've done your homework, and that you
    recognize the realities. Like you, I'm full time x64 at this point.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Chris James wrote:
    > I would like to thank everyone who has posted into this ng as by going the
    > postings them I have been able to install x64 successfully. I have been so
    > impressed with x64 that I have changed over to it completely.

    <snip>

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 2, 2006
  8. Especially given how many third parties have managed to produce a quite good
    PDF Printer Driver.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 2, 2006
  9. Chris James

    Chris James Guest

    > good to hear, Chris. Sounds like you've done your homework, and that you
    > recognize the realities. Like you, I'm full time x64 at this point.

    I saw that Acer had all the drivers for x64 so I did a trial install to see
    what would happen. I discovered that Symantec and Adobe didn't work, and it
    was ONLY then that I discovered this ng. At which point I started my
    homework.

    I dual booted for a couple of weeks, and then last weekend decided to go x64
    full time.

    Chris

    Chris James, Mar 2, 2006
  10. Chris James

    Chris James Guest

    "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Regarding Acrobat 7. It's true that the PDF Printer doesn't install or
    > work.
    > However you can circumvent that by setting up a postscript printer from
    > any
    > available (I use a Scitex profile) and printing to file. If you create a
    > watched folder in Distiller, it will automatically distill the postscript
    > file into your out folder. Works well. But I don't understand Adobe's lack
    > of development.

    I've realised that I could go this way, but this isn't the point. I've spent
    money on the upgrade to 7 and I have it running on a x86 desktop. To
    purchase another licence for my x64 laptop only for it not to work out of
    the box doen not seem right to me, especially as there a MUCH cheaper
    options available.

    x64 has allowed me to step back and take a look at my spending options
    rather than just paying and upgrading to the latest software. So instead of
    a 299USD product (or 99USD for the upgrade), I get to spend between 19 and
    50 USD. this is good news.

    Chris James, Mar 2, 2006
  11. Chris James

    Chris James Guest

    "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    > Leo, I'm using win2pdf without a problem, you might want to try it...
    >
    > http://www.win2pdf.com/
    >
    > Martin.

    Thank you for this info. I've downloaded and trying it now. Reasonable price
    too.

    Chris

    Chris James, Mar 2, 2006
  12. Chris James

    monique Mair Guest

    Chris James schrieb:
> [...]
    > product (or maybe they have just disabled the latest products as the older
    > Ghost & Password Manager work just fine - apart from NOT installing into
    > (x86) folders - I have then in an x86 - no brackets folder)
    >
    > I have purchased Avast and am very happy with it, no shutdown problems that
    > others have experienced. I've also saved a lot of money for he future and
    > Symantec have lost a customer for the next 3 years. Any recommendations for
    > an alternative would be welcome.
    >
    > The same goes with Adobe. I haven't decided which creator I'll buy, but it
    > will NOT be an Abobe product again for the forseeable future.
    >
    > Once again thanks for the assistance that has been provided which has
    > allowed me a smooth and easy path into 64 bit computing. I will continue to
    > read this ng with interest and will try to contributr where I feel that I

    I can't agree more! I just installed x64 on a new system, it is the
    only OS I am running. A few minor probs, x64 installed a generic
    grafics driver, so google earth is not working, I have written to the
    manufacturer that they hurry up with a driver. I am also using Avast,
    installed right into the x64 Programs Folder! MS Office goes good,
    Nero, CDBurnerPro, Divx Bundle, Corel et.al...... Overall I find it user
    freindly, I pluged my Laser printer in and tah dah! :( My HP Photosmart
    doesn't work, I send printjobs over wlan to the old computer and print
    from there. It took 35 min. to install a record!
    Thanks all!
    Monique

    monique Mair, Mar 2, 2006
  13. Which chipset - ATI, nVidia or other - does your graphics card use?

    There is probably an x64 driver available from the chipset supplier, just
    not a customised version from the graphics card manufacturer.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 2, 2006
  14. Chris James

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "l e o" <> wrote in message news:9RqNf.506$...
    > Chris James wrote:

    because it is too costly to maintain!) No PDF writer driver from Adobe
    > Acrobat is a big disappoint. How dare they still have not updating it, after almost one year??? My system is stable compare to XP
    > because there

    I recommend Fineprint's pdfFactory:
    http://www.fineprint.com/products/pdffactory/

    Servus, Roman

    roman modic, Mar 2, 2006
  15. Chris James

    monique Mair Guest

    Dominic Payer schrieb:
    > Which chipset - ATI, nVidia or other - does your graphics card use?
    >
    > There is probably an x64 driver available from the chipset supplier, just
    > not a customised version from the graphics card manufacturer.

    It is a SiS 761GX Northbridge Chipset I found a driver for SiS
    chipsets unrar and is a folder for winXP64, I extracted it, in device
    manger I updated driver with the one called sisgr.inf, Looked good had
    the richt name and all on restart I had to use the last know good
    config! Sound doesn't work either says Multimedia Audio Controller, I
    think I have ADI AD1880 on board audio adapter? can't find a driver
    either? I don't have speakers yet!!!

    monique Mair, Mar 2, 2006
  16. SiS don't appear to have drivers yet for the 761GX Northbridge chipset or
    the associated 966 Southbridge, which should support sound, for any version
    of Windows.

    What is the make and model of your motherboard?

    Dominic Payer, Mar 2, 2006
  17. Chris James

    monique Mair Guest

    Dominic Payer schrieb:

    > SiS don't appear to have drivers yet for the 761GX Northbridge chipset or
    > the associated 966 Southbridge, which should support sound, for any version
    > of Windows.
    >
    > What is the make and model of your motherboard?

    ECS Elitegroup Socket 754 AMD mATX 761GX-M754 (3.0A)
    That's all I can find, I sent a mail to ECS Support and asked about
    drivers for x64 Got a automated reply that will be answered in 2-4 days.
    VGA works but cool 3D Graphic stuff (Google earth) says DirectX is not
    supported:(

    another strange thing? PowerISO works fine except that on reboot I
    always get the message that the virtual drive is not properly installed
    please reinstall? I don't use it anyway but.......
    Cool little thing happened I installed my TV Guide program, TVBrowser
    from TVBrowser.org (Germany only with Premiere...) It's a little Java
    based thingy that you can customize with your favorite channels and
    update daily weekly or so. It installed in the 64-bit programms!
    Anyway.....

    monique Mair, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Your motherboard specification is at
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Produc...LanID=0&DetailID=575&DetailName=Specification

    There is a recent BIOS update at
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Produc...enuID=24&LanID=0&DetailID=575&DetailName=BIOS

    x64 sound drivers for the ADI AD1888 are included in the Windows family
    package at
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downlo...DetailDesc=761GX-M754(3.0A)&MenuID=40&LanID=0

    The drivers list suggests that the SiS UniVGA3 drivers are correct for your
    motherboard, so the 3.72 version from the SiS site
    http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php should work..

    Dominic Payer, Mar 2, 2006
  19. Chris James

    monique Mair Guest

    Hey a big thanks I had already downloaded these drivers, mistake I
    downloaded the wrong vga the first time I didn't look further down the
    page. I let the windows explorer search for the drivers in the folder I
    downloaded to and all was ok. Video is right now, audio plays to. Now
    I am very :) with x64. One thing left will HP make a driver for my
    Photosmart P1000? LaserJet works fine. Again thanks!
    Monique

    monique Mair, Mar 3, 2006
  20. Glad it's working well now.

    For your Photosmart P1000 see xrigau's post on July 21 2005 at
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6711-200.html
    There's a workround to use a 950c x64 driver

    HP say they do not plan to make an x64 driver for the P1000.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=61872&os=2030

    Dominic Payer, Mar 3, 2006