    Athlon x2 3800+ ?

    (no more add-on cards, onboard video/sound/lan)

    Thanks !
    Mike Gleason Jr Couturier, Nov 28, 2005

  2. More than sufficient.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 28, 2005

  3. In principle, a 380 watt PSU should be fine.
    But look carefully at the manual for your proposed motherboard and related
    newsgroups.

    PSUs of 450/500 watts are often suggested to avoid boot problems.

    The problem is that at a cold boot all the motors and system fans are
    spinning up and every peripheral does its own POST. If the combined current
    requirement is more than the PSU can comfortably supply there may be a
    voltage drop and then some components may not complete their POST and the
    system may hang.

    "Mike Gleason Jr Couturier" <> wrote in
    message news:%...

    Dominic Payer, Nov 28, 2005
  4. Mike Gleason Jr Couturier

    John Barnes Guest

    Charlie is certainly right for what you listed, but I might add that it is
    important to make sure it has the amount of current, especially on the 5
    volt rail, you need and REMEMBER buy for your future needs before your next
    computer. Many end up adding video cards and sound cards, more hard drives
    and DVD writers and fans. Pretty soon you are out of power. :)

    John Barnes, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Mike Gleason Jr Couturier

    Larry Hodges Guest

    And don't forget, many of the new vid cards need additional power. My PCI E
    7800GT for one. And when I went to put it in, I was pleasantly surprised to
    find a PCI E power cable from the power supply for just that.

    I went with a 550w for this system. But then I run a dual core CPU, three
    HDs, SCSI card, sound card, Zip drive, DAT tape drive, DVD...and of course
    the vid card.

    John is right. Buy for future needs. It never hurts to have too much power
    in your PS, and they're not that much more expensive. It's better to error
    on the side of too much power.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Allright thanks all your advices are
    well appreciated !

    Mike
    Mike Gleason Jr Couturier, Nov 28, 2005
  7. Are you planning to buy a new PSU, make sure it delivers enough Amps on the
    12V rail. At least 22A.

    --
    Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express) BIOS 0606
    P4 3.73 GHz EE

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Nov 28, 2005
  8. Mike Gleason Jr Couturier

    Chris S. Guest

    And make sure the PSU has dual 12V rails to a 24 pin ATX connector.

    Regards,
    Chris

    Chris S., Nov 28, 2005
  9. I'm running a 3800x2 @ 2.54. I have an Enermax 651VE PSU (550 watts). It's
    the first time I've ever bought a premium PSU, although I only paid $70 from
    the Ebay crap shoot (guess I did all right on this one). I usually opt for
    350W units, but this baby is nice and heavy, and really cool looking.
    Probably overkill for 3 SCSI drives and one DVD, but it'll be hard going
    back to smaller units for future builds...

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Mike Gleason Jr Couturier

    Guest

    I have a 400 PSU