X-Privat Posting Probelms.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, May 3, 2007.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a member for a
    while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept one group going through
    them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP "service". Since yesterday I've
    not been able to post, with OE giving me

    " '440 You do not have posting access to {alt.bittornet}', Port 119,
    Secure(SSL): No Server Error: 440, Error Number 0x800CCCA9 "

    I've been posting to alt.bittorent with them for a couple years now,
    nothing's changed my end.

    I've been to their webpage and it doesn't seem like anything's changed. I've
    checked the email account I used to sign up with and there are no
    newsletters or emails saying anything is changing.

    Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?

    D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having the same
    problem, they won't be able to reply!

    Any input appreciated.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 3, 2007

  2. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a member for a
    > while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept one group going through
    > them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP "service". Since yesterday I've
    > not been able to post, with OE giving me
    >
    > " '440 You do not have posting access to {alt.bittornet}', Port 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No Server Error: 440, Error Number 0x800CCCA9 "
    >
    > I've been posting to alt.bittorent with them for a couple years now,
    > nothing's changed my end.
    >
    > I've been to their webpage and it doesn't seem like anything's changed. I've
    > checked the email account I used to sign up with and there are no
    > newsletters or emails saying anything is changing.
    >
    > Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?
    >
    > D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having the same
    > problem, they won't be able to reply!
    >
    > Any input appreciated.

    Looks like a typo.

    Mark Robinson, May 3, 2007

  3. On Thu, 3 May 2007 11:56:41 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a member for a
    >while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept one group going through
    >them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP "service". Since yesterday I've
    >not been able to post, with OE giving me
    >
    >" '440 You do not have posting access to {alt.bittornet}', Port 119,
    >Secure(SSL): No Server Error: 440, Error Number 0x800CCCA9 "
    >
    >I've been posting to alt.bittorent with them for a couple years now,
    >nothing's changed my end.
    >
    >I've been to their webpage and it doesn't seem like anything's changed. I've
    >checked the email account I used to sign up with and there are no
    >newsletters or emails saying anything is changing.
    >
    >Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?
    >
    >D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having the same
    >problem, they won't be able to reply!

    I don't use them (I ditched them a long time ago) so I can reply. :)

    A lot of people have been having problems for the last week. There has
    been some discussion in the newsgroup <alt.free.newsservers>.
    --

    Stuart

    Stuart Naylor, May 3, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat?

    If you read the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers there has been a bit
    about this over the last few days.

    Free X-Privat has been closed for an "indeterminate" period.

    So long (X-Privat) and thanks for all the fish :)

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 3, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a member
    > > for a while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept one
    > > group going through them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP
    > > "service". Since yesterday I've not been able to post, with OE
    > > giving me
    > >
    > > " '440 You do not have posting access to {alt.bittornet}', Port 119,
    > > Secure(SSL): No Server Error: 440, Error Number 0x800CCCA9 "
    > >
    > > I've been posting to alt.bittorent with them for a couple years now,
    > > nothing's changed my end.
    > >
    > > I've been to their webpage and it doesn't seem like anything's
    > > changed. I've checked the email account I used to sign up with and
    > > there are no newsletters or emails saying anything is changing.
    > >
    > > Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?
    > >
    > > D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having the
    > > same problem, they won't be able to reply!
    > >
    > > Any input appreciated.

    > Looks like a typo.

    Heh! That was a typo in this post, not in the message I was trying to upload
    as it was a reply.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 3, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat?

    > If you read the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers there has been a bit
    > about this over the last few days.
    >
    > Free X-Privat has been closed for an "indeterminate" period.
    >
    > So long (X-Privat) and thanks for all the fish :)

    Thanks for that (and to Stuart). I hope that they come right/back, it's good
    to have a back-up news server.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 3, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    bAZZ Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:37:38 +1200, Stuart Naylor <>
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 May 2007 11:56:41 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a member for a
    >> while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept one group going
    >> through
    >> them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP "service". Since yesterday
    >> I've
    >> not been able to post, with OE giving me
    >>
    >> " '440 You do not have posting access to {alt.bittornet}', Port 119,
    >> Secure(SSL): No Server Error: 440, Error Number 0x800CCCA9 "
    >>
    >> I've been posting to alt.bittorent with them for a couple years now,
    >> nothing's changed my end.
    >>
    >> I've been to their webpage and it doesn't seem like anything's changed.
    >> I've
    >> checked the email account I used to sign up with and there are no
    >> newsletters or emails saying anything is changing.
    >>
    >> Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?
    >>
    >> D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having the same
    >> problem, they won't be able to reply!

    > I don't use them (I ditched them a long time ago) so I can reply. :)

    Me too. I thought they closed up shop along time ago. I think I may have
    even had an email addy from them too. I am usually reduced to google when
    things go awry with my ISP or aioe if using newsreader ( which I used to
    have to do for*torrent groups as slinshot wont carry em). In end ended up
    getting daily digest thru google to save the hassle).

    > A lot of people have been having problems for the last week. There has
    > been some discussion in the newsgroup <alt.free.newsservers>.

    So, you are not alone then Shaun by looks of it.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, May 3, 2007
  8. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Mike Dee wrote:

    >> Free X-Privat has been closed for an "indeterminate" period.
    >>
    >> So long (X-Privat) and thanks for all the fish :)

    > Thanks for that (and to Stuart). I hope that they come right/back,
    > it's good to have a back-up news server.

    Use this (very good) German one, requires registration (free)
    http://news.motzarella.org/

    Or this also good Italian one, no registration and free
    http://news.aioe.org/ for the links to services, you can use this one
    immediately.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 3, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:37:38 +1200, Stuart Naylor <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 3 May 2007 11:56:41 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a
    > > > member for a while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept
    > > > one group going through
    > > > them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP "service". Since
    > > > yesterday I've
    > > > not been able to post, with OE giving me
    > > >
    > > > " '440 You do not have posting access to {alt.bittornet}', Port
    > > > 119, Secure(SSL): No Server Error: 440, Error Number 0x800CCCA9 "
    > > >
    > > > I've been posting to alt.bittorent with them for a couple years
    > > > now, nothing's changed my end.
    > > >
    > > > I've been to their webpage and it doesn't seem like anything's
    > > > changed. I've
    > > > checked the email account I used to sign up with and there are no
    > > > newsletters or emails saying anything is changing.
    > > >
    > > > Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?
    > > >
    > > > D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having
    > > > the same problem, they won't be able to reply!

    > > I don't use them (I ditched them a long time ago) so I can reply.
    > > :)

    > Me too. I thought they closed up shop along time ago. I think I may
    > have even had an email addy from them too. I am usually reduced to
    > google when things go awry with my ISP or aioe if using newsreader (
    > which I used to have to do for*torrent groups as slinshot wont carry
    > em). In end ended up getting daily digest thru google to save the
    > hassle).
    > >
    > > A lot of people have been having problems for the last week. There
    > > has been some discussion in the newsgroup <alt.free.newsservers>.

    > So, you are not alone then Shaun by looks of it.

    Yup. Actrix don't carry the bittorrent group either but I'm accessing it
    through my motzarella account ATM. (Back-up-plan no.2, hehee.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 3, 2007
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike Dee wrote:

    > > > Free X-Privat has been closed for an "indeterminate" period.
    > > >
    > > > So long (X-Privat) and thanks for all the fish :)

    > > Thanks for that (and to Stuart). I hope that they come right/back,
    > > it's good to have a back-up news server.

    > Use this (very good) German one, requires registration (free)
    > http://news.motzarella.org/

    I have a reg with motzarella, thanks. You can never have too many NNTP
    servers IMO. I seriously dislike web-to-usenet interfaces and the constant
    re-posting that Googlegroups noobs do as their posts don't show immediately.

    I do find that motzarella can be pretty slow to download at times. Still,
    free is good. :)

    > Or this also good Italian one, no registration and free
    > http://news.aioe.org/ for the links to services, you can use this one
    > immediately.

    Thanks, I'll try this to replace X-Privat. I'll look into it later.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 3, 2007
  11. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 19:22:27 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Mike Dee wrote:

    >> Use this (very good) German one, requires registration (free)
    >> http://news.motzarella.org/

    > I have a reg with motzarella, thanks. You can never have too many NNTP
    > servers IMO. I seriously dislike web-to-usenet interfaces and the constant
    > re-posting that Googlegroups noobs do as their posts don't show immediately.
    >
    > I do find that motzarella can be pretty slow to download at times. Still,
    > free is good. :)

    I agree, free is good :) I also dislike web-to-usenet and prefer NNTP
    to it any day.

    >> Or this also good Italian one, no registration and free
    >> http://news.aioe.org/ for the links to services, you can use this one
    >> immediately.

    > Thanks, I'll try this to replace X-Privat. I'll look into it later.

    You should find Aioe.org to be a *lot* faster than Motzarella and you'll
    probably find it faster for reading than X-Privat too. Aioe does go down
    from time to time without warning, but as a rule it is up and running
    ASAP, it's a good server these days.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 4, 2007
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 19:22:27 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Mike Dee wrote:

    > > > Use this (very good) German one, requires registration (free)
    > > > http://news.motzarella.org/

    > > I have a reg with motzarella, thanks. You can never have too many
    > > NNTP servers IMO. I seriously dislike web-to-usenet interfaces and
    > > the constant re-posting that Googlegroups noobs do as their posts
    > > don't show immediately.
    > >
    > > I do find that motzarella can be pretty slow to download at times.
    > > Still, free is good. :)

    > I agree, free is good :) I also dislike web-to-usenet and prefer NNTP
    > to it any day.
    >
    > > > Or this also good Italian one, no registration and free
    > > > http://news.aioe.org/ for the links to services, you can use this
    > > > one immediately.

    > > Thanks, I'll try this to replace X-Privat. I'll look into it later.

    > You should find Aioe.org to be a *lot* faster than Motzarella and
    > you'll probably find it faster for reading than X-Privat too. Aioe
    > does go down from time to time without warning, but as a rule it is
    > up and running ASAP, it's a good server these days.

    Thanks Mike, I've got a couple of groups I'm pulling in using it now and it
    seems to be pretty good.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 4, 2007
  13. On Thu, 03 May 2007 15:17:27 +1200, bAZZ <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:37:38 +1200, Stuart Naylor <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 3 May 2007 11:56:41 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone else having no luck posting to X-Privat? I've been a member for a
    >>> while now and, as it's invite-only, I've always kept one group going
    >>> through
    >>> them, just in case I ever losse my ISP NNTP "service".

    <snip>
    >>> Just wondered, is anyone else using X-Privat?
    >>>
    >>> D'oh! If they are, and that's all they have, and they're having the same
    >>> problem, they won't be able to reply!

    >> I don't use them (I ditched them a long time ago) so I can reply. :)

    > Me too. I thought they closed up shop along time ago. I think I may have
    >even had an email addy from them too. I am usually reduced to google when
    >things go awry with my ISP or aioe if using newsreader ( which I used to
    >have to do for*torrent groups as slinshot wont carry em). In end ended up
    >getting daily digest thru google to save the hassle).

    I had an email address with X-Privat too and I think I had to make a
    small payment to cover premium news group access plus email.

    I'm with optusnet.com.au but don't use their mail server, I use
    http://www.everyonenet.com/ for email. I only use the Optusnet news
    server for internal news groups. Instead I use NIN for news groups
    (text only) for an annual fee of 10 EUR which works out at about $17 -
    $20 per year.
    http://news.individual.net/

    For binaries non expiring block accounts are useful with the likes of
    Octanews or Usenet-News.
    http://www.octanews.com/
    http://usenet-news.net/
    --

    Stuart

    Stuart Naylor, May 4, 2007
  14. ~misfit~

    Ken Guest

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 19:15:12 +1000, Stuart Naylor <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 May 2007 15:17:27 +1200, bAZZ <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:37:38 +1200, Stuart Naylor <>
    >>wrote:

    ><snip>

    >>> I don't use them (I ditched them a long time ago) so I can reply. :)

    >> Me too. I thought they closed up shop along time ago. I think I may have
    >>even had an email addy from them too. I am usually reduced to google when
    >>things go awry with my ISP or aioe if using newsreader ( which I used to
    >>have to do for*torrent groups as slinshot wont carry em). In end ended up
    >>getting daily digest thru google to save the hassle).

    >I had an email address with X-Privat too and I think I had to make a
    >small payment to cover premium news group access plus email.
    >
    >I'm with optusnet.com.au but don't use their mail server, I use
    >http://www.everyonenet.com/ for email. I only use the Optusnet news
    >server for internal news groups. Instead I use NIN for news groups
    >(text only) for an annual fee of 10 EUR which works out at about $17 -
    >$20 per year.
    >http://news.individual.net/
    >
    >For binaries non expiring block accounts are useful with the likes of
    >Octanews or Usenet-News.
    >http://www.octanews.com/
    >http://usenet-news.net/

    I do suggest you look at Usenet firms that support Real Binary dnloads, ie fully decoded ones.

    Ken , May 4, 2007
  15. ~misfit~

    lolinternet Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Yup. Actrix don't carry the bittorrent group either but I'm accessing it
    > through my motzarella account ATM. (Back-up-plan no.2, hehee.)

    alt.bittorrent ?

    Yeah they do.

    lolinternet, May 5, 2007
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    lolinternet wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Yup. Actrix don't carry the bittorrent group either but I'm
    > > accessing it through my motzarella account ATM. (Back-up-plan no.2,
    > > hehee.)

    > alt.bittorrent ?
    >
    > Yeah they do.

    Really? I haven't checked since I put in a compliant to Actrix and they told
    me that it was unavailable upstream from them. They said that they'd make
    enquiries, try to get access to it, and get back to me but that was a year
    ago and I never heard back.

    So they carry it now huh? Thanks for that.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2007