"x" pad xmas wish list

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Me, Dec 9, 2011.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Is there any device someone can recommend that meets the following:
    Must work on 12v power. I want to be able to recharge it on a 12v boat
    system over summer, where I've got limited battery power, small solar
    panel, but yacht so don't want to have to keep running the motor to keep
    batteries up. I'd prefer not to have to charge it through an inverter.
    Must have HDMI out, so I can use it at home connected to an HDTV and/or
    monitor.
    Must have wifi, and at least two USB ports.
    Prefer a good screen - iPad quality and size is fine/good.
    Prefer 3g capable - but not essential.
    An Asus eee-pad type setup, with folding docking station/keyboard would
    be nice, but I don't think it's 12v - although there's the option to
    charge it via a USB cigarette lighter plug adapter, will this have
    enough grunt to actually charge the battery in reasonable time?
    Prefer if the device has enough grunt to do some basic photo editing /
    viewing of camera raw files - and that the OS has apps which will allow
    it (Nikon *.nef). Not essential, as I can convert raw file to jpeg and
    do some basic editing "in camera".
    Don't really care about drive capacity, so long as an external "USB -
    self powered" HD will plug in and work without glitches.
    Me, Dec 9, 2011

  2. Me

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Me <> wrote in news:jbs744$qh7$:

    > Is there any device someone can recommend that meets the following:
    > Must work on 12v power. I want to be able to recharge it on a 12v boat
    > system over summer, where I've got limited battery power, small solar
    > panel, but yacht so don't want to have to keep running the motor to keep
    > batteries up. I'd prefer not to have to charge it through an inverter.
    > Must have HDMI out, so I can use it at home connected to an HDTV and/or
    > monitor.
    > Must have wifi, and at least two USB ports.
    > Prefer a good screen - iPad quality and size is fine/good.
    > Prefer 3g capable - but not essential.
    > An Asus eee-pad type setup, with folding docking station/keyboard would
    > be nice, but I don't think it's 12v - although there's the option to
    > charge it via a USB cigarette lighter plug adapter, will this have
    > enough grunt to actually charge the battery in reasonable time?
    > Prefer if the device has enough grunt to do some basic photo editing /
    > viewing of camera raw files - and that the OS has apps which will allow
    > it (Nikon *.nef). Not essential, as I can convert raw file to jpeg and
    > do some basic editing "in camera".
    > Don't really care about drive capacity, so long as an external "USB -
    > self powered" HD will plug in and work without glitches.

    I think the Android from Toshiba (Toshiba Thrive) will do this:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Honeycomb-Android-Tablets-Tested,review-
    1691.html

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 13, 2011

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    On 13/12/2011 11:32 p.m., Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Me<> wrote in news:jbs744$qh7$:
    >
    >> Is there any device someone can recommend that meets the following:
    >> Must work on 12v power. I want to be able to recharge it on a 12v boat
    >> system over summer, where I've got limited battery power, small solar
    >> panel, but yacht so don't want to have to keep running the motor to keep
    >> batteries up. I'd prefer not to have to charge it through an inverter.
    >> Must have HDMI out, so I can use it at home connected to an HDTV and/or
    >> monitor.
    >> Must have wifi, and at least two USB ports.
    >> Prefer a good screen - iPad quality and size is fine/good.
    >> Prefer 3g capable - but not essential.
    >> An Asus eee-pad type setup, with folding docking station/keyboard would
    >> be nice, but I don't think it's 12v - although there's the option to
    >> charge it via a USB cigarette lighter plug adapter, will this have
    >> enough grunt to actually charge the battery in reasonable time?
    >> Prefer if the device has enough grunt to do some basic photo editing /
    >> viewing of camera raw files - and that the OS has apps which will allow
    >> it (Nikon *.nef). Not essential, as I can convert raw file to jpeg and
    >> do some basic editing "in camera".
    >> Don't really care about drive capacity, so long as an external "USB -
    >> self powered" HD will plug in and work without glitches.
    >>

    > I think the Android from Toshiba (Toshiba Thrive) will do this:
    > http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Honeycomb-Android-Tablets-Tested,review-
    > 1691.html

    Thanks for that. In the meantime, I've decided that despite my
    reluctance to use an inverter, it's probably the best/simplest solution,
    as other "annoyances" with devices which need mains power (or >12v) for
    charging are bound to crop up. I'll upgrade solar panel, and will need
    to upgrade the wiring from battery to switchboard rails to cope with
    possible peak current draw from even a small full sine wave inverter.
    Me, Dec 14, 2011
  4. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jc8qoq$84u$>, d, Me
    says...

    > On 13/12/2011 11:32 p.m., Dave Taylor wrote:
    > > Me<> wrote in news:jbs744$qh7$:
    > >
    > >> Is there any device someone can recommend that meets the following:
    > >> Must work on 12v power. I want to be able to recharge it on a 12v boat
    > >> system over summer, where I've got limited battery power, small solar
    > >> panel, but yacht so don't want to have to keep running the motor to keep
    > >> batteries up. I'd prefer not to have to charge it through an inverter.
    > >> Must have HDMI out, so I can use it at home connected to an HDTV and/or
    > >> monitor.
    > >> Must have wifi, and at least two USB ports.
    > >> Prefer a good screen - iPad quality and size is fine/good.
    > >> Prefer 3g capable - but not essential.
    > >> An Asus eee-pad type setup, with folding docking station/keyboard would
    > >> be nice, but I don't think it's 12v - although there's the option to
    > >> charge it via a USB cigarette lighter plug adapter, will this have
    > >> enough grunt to actually charge the battery in reasonable time?
    > >> Prefer if the device has enough grunt to do some basic photo editing /
    > >> viewing of camera raw files - and that the OS has apps which will allow
    > >> it (Nikon *.nef). Not essential, as I can convert raw file to jpeg and
    > >> do some basic editing "in camera".
    > >> Don't really care about drive capacity, so long as an external "USB -
    > >> self powered" HD will plug in and work without glitches.
    > >>

    > > I think the Android from Toshiba (Toshiba Thrive) will do this:
    > > http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Honeycomb-Android-Tablets-Tested,review-
    > > 1691.html
    > >

    > Thanks for that. In the meantime, I've decided that despite my
    > reluctance to use an inverter, it's probably the best/simplest solution,
    > as other "annoyances" with devices which need mains power (or >12v) for
    > charging are bound to crop up. I'll upgrade solar panel, and will need
    > to upgrade the wiring from battery to switchboard rails to cope with
    > possible peak current draw from even a small full sine wave inverter.

    Good on yer! :) I was gonna reply - but thought if you don't wanna use
    an inverter, well...

    But had I replied, it'd be :) ...
    * why not use an inverter? I use one because I'm pretty much forced to
    (and I think it an uncessary expense to purchase all the 12V adapters
    required). This list is quite long...
    * cell phone charger
    * 18650 Li-ion charger
    * AA and AAA combo charger
    * 'lectric toothbrush
    * notebook
    * tablet
    * and charging for all guests stuff too

    It's just not worth trying to go 12V all the way. I try to charge up
    all the devices in one fell swoop - each day, or maybe two days. Only
    takes 2, maybe 3 hours on the inverter.

    I have 3 12V lead-acid (car/boat) batteries - but usually only take two.
    I charge them via a wee petrol genny or off the outboard. Again,
    usually every two days, for a few hours (terrible things, the racket and
    smell they make :)

    I find I *need* 2 batteries or more as I've discovered in the early days
    that I can not use the inverter while I'm charging the battery (it just
    doesn't wanna know about 15 or 16V hitting it (while the battery is
    being charged)). So check your inverter, I think you'll find that most
    operate on a very small voltage range before cutting out (like 10.5V to
    13.5V - *only*). If you find one that operates on a nice wide voltage
    band (eg when charging at 15/16V etc) - please let me know!

    I was also gonna disagree with the Tomsguide article - not recommending
    Windows 7 as a viable OS on a tablet PC. I really like my wee
    Dealextreme Win 7 tablet - sure, it's not fast at all with the Atom N455
    CPU - but it cuts it OK for me (I think the 32GB solid-state HDD makes
    up lots). I have Office, so I have Outlook and the *full* functionality
    that that provides, from anywhere on the planet, via it's Outlook
    Anywhere connection back to Exchange Server. And I have Open CPN
    (http://opencpn.org/ocpn/) plus a $28 buck USB GPS receiver that works
    great on the laptop and tablet. Basically, I can work away from the
    office, as I'm required to do from time to time. I can't do what I need
    to do on Android or iOS.

    If you just want to play games, perhaps an Android tablet or an iPad is
    an option.

    If I was asked to list the biggest minus on the Win 7 tablet, it'd be
    the battery life (about three to four hours?). I've never run it
    completely flat as I've never been on it that long. If I don't need it,
    I press the power button which I've told the OS to handle to hibernate.
    I've also set the power options to 'no power saving' in battery mode -
    as I want the full power all the time. While the tablet is slow at
    times, it is, generally, quite snappy - surprisingly snappy.

    You're in Otautahi right? - welcome to try it for a few days if you
    want.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 14, 2011
  5. Me

    JohnO Guest

    On Dec 14, 4:05 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
> [...]

    > great on the laptop and tablet.  Basically, I can work away from the
    > office, as I'm required to do from time to time.  I can't do what I need
    > to do on Android or iOS.
    >
    > If you just want to play games, perhaps an Android tablet or an iPad is
    > an option.
    >
    > If I was asked to list the biggest minus on the Win 7 tablet, it'd be
    > the battery life (about three to four hours?).  I've never run it
    > completely flat as I've never been on it that long.  If I don't need it,
    > I press the power button which I've told the OS to handle to hibernate.
    > I've also set the power options to 'no power saving' in battery mode -
    > as I want the full power all the time.  While the tablet is slow at
    > times, it is, generally, quite snappy - surprisingly snappy.
    >
    > You're in Otautahi right? - welcome to try it for a few days if you

    Hey Duncan, so you run regular Win32 windows 7 on that thing? Had any
    compatibility issues with any software?
    JohnO, Dec 14, 2011
  6. Me

    Me Guest

    On 14/12/2011 4:05 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> [...]

    > great on the laptop and tablet. Basically, I can work away from the
    > office, as I'm required to do from time to time. I can't do what I need
    > to do on Android or iOS.
    >
    > If you just want to play games, perhaps an Android tablet or an iPad is
    > an option.
    >
    > If I was asked to list the biggest minus on the Win 7 tablet, it'd be
    > the battery life (about three to four hours?). I've never run it
    > completely flat as I've never been on it that long. If I don't need it,
    > I press the power button which I've told the OS to handle to hibernate.
    > I've also set the power options to 'no power saving' in battery mode -
    > as I want the full power all the time. While the tablet is slow at
    > times, it is, generally, quite snappy - surprisingly snappy.
    >
    > You're in Otautahi right? - welcome to try it for a few days if you

    That's a kind offer - thanks.
    I think I'm committed to the idea of a small inverter, and an upgrade to
    the solar charger. Unlikely to want to use the inverter while the sun's
    shining, so I doubt the potential over-voltage will be a problem, but
    I'll check it out before buying.
    We have been getting by okay with 12v only. Inconveniences have been
    charging batteries for cameras, and not having some computer device. If
    I get an inverter, then I may as well just take my notebook. We cruise
    in Tasman Bay, so cellphone coverage ranges from generally
    patchy/ratshit through to non existent. We tend to leave them off -
    check for messages when you feel like walking up a hill. If something
    urgent crops up, the VHF is there. All our lighting is LED, except one
    fluoro which we don't use much at all.
    Main drain on power is the sound system combined with teenagers. Yeah -
    I use it too, but mainly restricted to 1/2 hour bursts at loud volume
    while I'm trying to create gourmet meals on a 2 burner with grill, out
    of whatever we can find in the lockers, or catch from the wild.

    My biggest fear about upgrading power (12 or 24v), is that a certain
    crew member may tweak that things like electric anchor winches and
    hair-dryers are in fact technically possible.

    Yeah, I'm in Otautahi. We didn't go way on the boat last summer (for
    the first time in 12 years, one reason was that I was renovating our
    kitchen. This proved to be one big dumb mistake, as Feb 22 reverted it
    to a worse condition than it had been in before I started. Bugger.

    You don't go up to Tasman Bay? We'll be in Torrent Bay for New Year,
    probably parked in our usual reserved spot about here:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17900980
    Then probably cruise around for a few weeks between the Astrolabe:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7057843
    and Awaroa:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7057835

    It's going to be hell and hard work. Why do we do it?
    Me, Dec 14, 2011
  7. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <872278d5-e390-49ab-aee2-1d7da67b98d7
    @d5g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, , JohnO says...

> [...]

    > > to do on Android or iOS.
    > >
    > > If you just want to play games, perhaps an Android tablet or an iPad is
    > > an option.
    > >
    > > If I was asked to list the biggest minus on the Win 7 tablet, it'd be
    > > the battery life (about three to four hours?).  I've never run it
    > > completely flat as I've never been on it that long.  If I don't need it,
    > > I press the power button which I've told the OS to handle to hibernate.
    > > I've also set the power options to 'no power saving' in battery mode -
    > > as I want the full power all the time.  While the tablet is slow at
    > > times, it is, generally, quite snappy - surprisingly snappy.
    > >
    > > You're in Otautahi right? - welcome to try it for a few days if you
    > > want.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > Hey Duncan, so you run regular Win32 windows 7 on that thing? Had any

    None spotted so far - not well tested though. It runs VLC and Windows
    Media Player just fine for music and video. I've really done little
    else with it. I wouldn't install Visual Studio and SQL Server on it! :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 14, 2011
  8. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jc9edl$ugd$>, d, Me
    says...

> [...]

    > My biggest fear about upgrading power (12 or 24v), is that a certain
    > crew member may tweak that things like electric anchor winches and
    > hair-dryers are in fact technically possible.
    >
    > Yeah, I'm in Otautahi. We didn't go way on the boat last summer (for
    > the first time in 12 years, one reason was that I was renovating our
    > kitchen. This proved to be one big dumb mistake, as Feb 22 reverted it
    > to a worse condition than it had been in before I started. Bugger.
    >
    > You don't go up to Tasman Bay? We'll be in Torrent Bay for New Year,
    > probably parked in our usual reserved spot about here:
    > http://www.panoramio.com/photo/17900980
    > Then probably cruise around for a few weeks between the Astrolabe:
    > http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7057843
    > and Awaroa:
    > http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7057835
    >
    > It's going to be hell and hard work. Why do we do it?

    LOL - but worth it - Abel Tas is trailer sailer country. Not sure if
    I'll be up there by New Year, but +/- a day or three.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 14, 2011
  9. Me

    Enkidu Guest

    On 15/12/11 07:17, EMB wrote:

    > I'm not really sure you should install VS and SQL on /anything/ [1] :)

    MS SQL server ain't that bad (said the PostgreSQL fan). The combination
    with VS on the same server? Consign it to the nether regions of hell!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 15, 2011