X-Lite

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Motorcyclesaur, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I wonder if anyone can assist me in fixing a setup problem with X-Lite, as I
    believe that something went wrong when I tried to configure it for
    multi-proxy use.

    The facts:

    1. Setup Firewall OK, as instructed by Sipgate Help Pages.

    2. I opened an account with Sipgate, downloaded and installed X-Lite, easily
    configured it, and off I was, on line. All good, test number 10000 worked
    perfectly, I could dial my 020 number from my mobile and manage to have a
    decent quality sound, the voicemail also worked perfectly (quality of
    greeting mesage apart, but that's not important at the moment).

    3. Not satisfied and willing to try another provider, I opened an account
    with Voipfone. They have a ready-to-go installation file, which installs
    X-Lite and automatically configures it. Once done (I didn't care if I lost
    Sipgate as its configuration is pretty easy anyway and could do it manually
    in two minutes) I was able to do the same: call my 056 number from mobile,
    dial the test line 155, etc., no problems at all.

    4. Still not satisfied, I wanted to push it one step forward and get both
    providers to work together. Configured one of them as "Default" in the proxy
    list, and the other as "Proxy 1", but now I am unable to reach my numbers
    and cannot dial neither the 10000 nor the 155 test numbers (error message
    "Call not approved").

    5. Fair enough, I must have done something wrong. Uninstall X-Lite and
    re-install from clean, but the little thing must have littered my pc with
    some configuration files that I can't locate and when I reinstall it the
    configuration is still the same.

    My questions:

    i. Can anyone spot what I have done wrong in the configuration, and the
    reason why the softphone is not working (it logs-in ok, network should not
    be a problem)?

    ii. Where is the configuration and profiles database stored with the Windows
    version of X-Lite? Can I just clean it up and start from scratch?

    iii. Is there another multiple account softphone that you would rate better
    than X-Lite?

    Thank you to anyone who will be able to assist.

    Motorcyclesaur, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Motorcyclesaur

    ßødincµs Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:58:13 +0100, Motorcyclesaur said...
    |Hi Everyone,
    |
    |I wonder if anyone can assist me in fixing a setup problem with X-Lite, asI
    |believe that something went wrong when I tried to configure it for
    |multi-proxy use.
    |
    |The facts:
    |
    |1. Setup Firewall OK, as instructed by Sipgate Help Pages.
    |
    |2. I opened an account with Sipgate, downloaded and installed X-Lite, easily
    |configured it, and off I was, on line. All good, test number 10000 worked
    |perfectly, I could dial my 020 number from my mobile and manage to have a
    |decent quality sound, the voicemail also worked perfectly (quality of
    |greeting mesage apart, but that's not important at the moment).
    |
    |3. Not satisfied and willing to try another provider, I opened an account
    |with Voipfone. They have a ready-to-go installation file, which installs
    |X-Lite and automatically configures it. Once done (I didn't care if I lost
    |Sipgate as its configuration is pretty easy anyway and could do it manually
    |in two minutes) I was able to do the same: call my 056 number from mobile,
    |dial the test line 155, etc., no problems at all.
    |
    |4. Still not satisfied, I wanted to push it one step forward and get both
    |providers to work together. Configured one of them as "Default" in the proxy
    |list, and the other as "Proxy 1", but now I am unable to reach my numbers
    |and cannot dial neither the 10000 nor the 155 test numbers (error message
    |"Call not approved").

    |5. Fair enough, I must have done something wrong. Uninstall X-Lite and
    |re-install from clean, but the little thing must have littered my pc with
    |some configuration files that I can't locate and when I reinstall it the
    |configuration is still the same.
    |
    |My questions:
    |
    |i. Can anyone spot what I have done wrong in the configuration, and the
    |reason why the softphone is not working (it logs-in ok, network should not
    |be a problem)?
    |
    |ii. Where is the configuration and profiles database stored with the Windows
    |version of X-Lite? Can I just clean it up and start from scratch?
    |
    |iii. Is there another multiple account softphone that you would rate better
    |than X-Lite?
    |

    |Thank you to anyone who will be able to assist.

    1) With the two-proxy configuration, is X-lite showing you are logged
    in with both numbers?
    2) To choose with which account you are dialling out, you must right-
    click on the X-lite form body (not any of the buttons or links) and
    choose which provider use for the call.
    3) What STUN server are you using? The one suggested in your "Default"
    provider configuration?
    4) The X-lite settings are all recorded in the Windows Registry. Open
    Regedit (click Start, then "Run..." then type 'regedit' in the wee box
    and click OK) then press the F3 key and type 'XtenNetworksInc' in the
    "Find what" box. Tick just the "Keys" box and untick all others, and
    you will get it. Uninstall the software, delete the whole key, - hey,
    presto - reinstall as new...

    I'm running a "twin provider" X-Lite at the moment, I've even managed
    to be engaged in conversation with both numbers in the same time, no
    probs. Try to restart from scratch (see point 4) and see.

    HTH

    --
    ßodincus · The Y2K Druid
    I'm watching you....

    ßødincµs, Jun 7, 2005

  3. "ßødincµs" <> wrote in message

    > 1) With the two-proxy configuration, is X-lite showing you are logged
    > in with both numbers?

    First of all, thank you for your reply and interest. I have now solevd my
    problems, which I believe (bear in mind that I am afr from being an expert)
    were caused by the different requirements of the various service suppliers -
    I hae got four at present, including FWD, Sipgate, and Voipfone, all
    offering some advantages. The way I solved it is installing eyeBeam, which
    allows you to setup all accounts with their own proxy servers and STUNs, as
    opposed to X-Lite that allows only one STUN setup for all accounts.
    Everything now works perfectly, but I have some reserve about eyeBeam
    itself, as I noticed that if for any reaons one of the accounts looses its
    connection, eyeBeam is unable to reinstate it and the only remaining option
    is closing it down and then reopen it. Once open again, it connects all four
    providers very fast and everything works.

    > 3) What STUN server are you using? The one suggested in your "Default"
    > provider configuration?

    Sipgate now uses stun.sipgate.net:10000; Voipfone has no STUN; FWD uses
    stun.fwdnet.net:3478.

    I am still not too sure of what is actually better between the outbound
    proxy and the STUN, I guess I will need to read more from voip-info.org,
    Pulver, etc..

    > 4) The X-lite settings are all recorded in the Windows Registry.

    Smashing, thank you again.

    Motorcyclesaur, Jun 7, 2005