X-Lite quality problems

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by david_ffm@mail.com, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to
    landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems
    with brief interruptions in the audio at times,
    particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.

    It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection
    rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the
    software is muting the microphone when the other side
    is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find
    any settings that look like they could change that
    though.

    I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a
    firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have
    a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise
    performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two
    different computers with similar results. I also have
    a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is
    much worse than the old analogue headset.

    Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
    this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
    VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
    being sure of this.

    Can anyone advise me what I could try?

    many thanks,
    David
    , Apr 7, 2005

  2. Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept
    my real name!
    David Johnstone
    David Johnstone, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    David Johnstone wrote:
    > Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept
    > my real name!
    > David Johnstone

    Can't help with that, but a hardware ATA or phone is always better IMHO.

    I use the Sipura SPA-2000 which has 2 analogue phone ports.
    www.sipura.com/products/spa2000.htm for info if you're interested.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Ian Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...

    > Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
    > this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
    > VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
    > being sure of this.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what I could try?
    >
    > many thanks,
    > David

    Hi

    1. Is the USB handset a "quality" one or just a cheapish one.
    2. Is the soundcound full duplex?
    3. Is the NIC full duplex and is it and the network running full duplex.
    4. Get a packet sniffer and look at whats going on.

    Ian
    Ian, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Costa Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to
    > landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems
    > with brief interruptions in the audio at times,
    > particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.
    >
    > It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection
    > rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the
    > software is muting the microphone when the other side
    > is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find
    > any settings that look like they could change that
    > though.
    >
    > I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a
    > firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have
    > a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise
    > performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two
    > different computers with similar results. I also have
    > a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is
    > much worse than the old analogue headset.
    >
    > Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve
    > this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware
    > VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without
    > being sure of this.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me what I could try?
    >
    > many thanks,
    > David

    Go to Xlite MENU and make sure that Transmit Silence=YES

    Costa.

    MENU
    Advance System Settings
    Audio Settings