    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    +49 151 11559652
    Georg Schwarz, Mar 8, 2008

  2. Georg Schwarz

    msg Guest

    Georg Schwarz wrote:

    > Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single SIP
    > provider?

    Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one either.
    The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service account, which
    I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and also a 'second'
    account for an unrelated provider. All discussions refer to two accounts
    which implies an upper limit. Without the mandatory account, it seems
    that one account is the limit.

    If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

    Michael
    msg, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Georg Schwarz

    M.L. Guest

    >> Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single
    >> SIP provider?

    > Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one
    > either. The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service
    > account, which I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and
    > also a 'second' account for an unrelated provider. All discussions
    > refer to two accounts which implies an upper limit. Without the
    > mandatory account, it seems that one account is the limit.
    >
    > If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

    X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
    you want more than one.
    M.L., Mar 10, 2008
  4. On 03/10/2008 07:53 AM, M.L. wrote:
    >>> Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single
    >>> SIP provider?

    >> Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one
    >> either. The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service
    >> account, which I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and
    >> also a 'second' account for an unrelated provider. All discussions
    >> refer to two accounts which implies an upper limit. Without the
    >> mandatory account, it seems that one account is the limit.
    >>
    >> If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

    > X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
    > you want more than one.

    The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
    engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
    particularly the Qt4 based client.

    One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
    your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.

    Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
    http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0 though a
    beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

    Hope that helps,
    Cheers,
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Georg Schwarz

    M.L. Guest

    >>> Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one
    >>> either. The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service
    >>> account, which I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and
    >>> also a 'second' account for an unrelated provider. All discussions
    >>> refer to two accounts which implies an upper limit. Without the
    >>> mandatory account, it seems that one account is the limit.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

    >> X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
    >> you want more than one.

    > The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
    > engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
    > particularly the Qt4 based client.
    >
    > One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
    > your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.
    >
    > Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
    > http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0
    > though a beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

    The interface looks ghastly.
    M.L., Mar 10, 2008
  6. On 03/11/2008 01:34 AM, M.L. wrote:

    >>> X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
    >>> you want more than one.

    >> The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
    >> engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
    >> particularly the Qt4 based client.
    >>
    >> One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
    >> your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.
    >>
    >> Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
    >> http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0
    >> though a beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

    > The interface looks ghastly.

    Yes, it is, if that matters that much :) OTOH, the beauty of open source
    software is these can be improved, please ask/talk to the developers as
    to how you/one can contribute.

    The other options are: KPhone, SJPhone, Gizmo-Project and, or even
    X-Lite 3.0 running on the same machine but connected to YATE server;
    YATE if configured properly can/will take care of all the routing problems.

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 11, 2008
  7. On 03/09/2008 03:02 AM, Georg Schwarz wrote:
    > Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single SIP
    > provider? One I configured an account the "Add" button is greyed out.
    > Is X-Lite intensionally crippled differentiate against CounterPath's
    > other software? Can version 2.0 still be downloaded?

    Please don't encourage, promote and, or use closed/propriety X-Lite etc;
    try, recommend and, or contribute the Free/Libre and Open Source
    Software instead.

    In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
    providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
    people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

    I have learned some cases where people are using the yate server and
    clients in heavily loaded production environments, e.g. call centers and
    geographically scattered enterprise offices.

    OTOH, I have managed to fix some problems in the yate-gtk2 and am making
    available the alpha release of binary packages for Debian and, or Ubuntu
    variants. All you need to do is, add the following line to your apt
    config file /etc/apt/sources.list:

    deb http://cto.homelinux.net/pub/debian/ testing main

    and then execute:

    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install yate-gtk2

    and, or

    # apt-get install yate-qt4

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 28, 2008
  8. Balwinder S Dheeman <> wrote in <>:

    > In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
    > providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
    > people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

    I tried the yate-gtk2 version from debian stable and got somewhat hard
    to understand reasons why I couldn't call SIP urls directly:

    <client/1:MILD> Call rejected error='noroute' reason='No route to call
    target' [0x81a2c68]

    And on a call via a SIP provider I got absolutely no audio. And could not
    find a way to configure audio.

    Koos

    --
    Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
    4all.nl or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
    Koos van den Hout, Mar 30, 2008
  9. On 03/30/2008 08:53 PM, Koos van den Hout wrote:
    > Balwinder S Dheeman <> wrote in <>:
    >
    >> In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
    >> providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
    >> people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

    > I tried the yate-gtk2 version from debian stable and got somewhat hard
    > to understand reasons why I couldn't call SIP urls directly:
    >
    > <client/1:MILD> Call rejected error='noroute' reason='No route to call
    > target' [0x81a2c68]

    You need to choose either a provider to which you are registered or
    protocol from drop-down lists. The later one to make direct calls and we
    need not add sip://, iax:// and, or other h323 protocol prefixes, just
    is sufficient.

    > And on a call via a SIP provider I got absolutely no audio. And could not
    > find a way to configure audio.

    Try choosing one of OSS and, or ALSA module for Yate-gt2 and newer
    Yate-qt4, and see which one works better for your installation.
    Although, my machines are running on latest Linux kernel version
    2.6.24.4 with ALSA modules (OSS is considered obsolete these days), but
    the emulated OSS layer of ALSA works better in many a other applications
    including yate-clients.

    As for as configuration is concerned you may tweak around setting in the
    /etc/yate/yate-gtk2.conf or /etc/yate/yate-qt4.conf files
    respectively. All you need to do enable or disable loading of
    appropriate module in the [modules] section:

    -------- 8< --------
    [modules]
    ; Enable only one of these, as per your operating system
    alsachan.yate=false
    ;osschan.yate=false

    ; We need not enable the following, when in client mode
    extmodule.yate=false
    mysqldb.yate=false
    pgsqldb.yate=false

    ; Use following for debugging and, or tessting
    callgen.yate=false
    rmanager.yate=false

    FYI, I don't maintain the official yate packages, but anyone may freely
    download latest yate package from my personal repositories:

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 30, 2008