x% gray in digital

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roy G, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Roy G

    Roy G Guest

    "Steven Woody" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ? where
    > x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or 1.8 ).
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > -
    > woody

    Eh ????

    Roy G

    Steven Woody, Jan 16, 2007

  3. Roy G

    acl Guest

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ? where
    > x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or 1.8 ).
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > -
    > woody

    Hi. If the blackpoint is set to 0, then I suppose it will fall at
    255*(x/100)^gamma

    acl, Jan 16, 2007
  4. Roy G

    acl Guest

    acl wrote:
    > Steven Woody wrote:
    > > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ? where
    > > x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or 1.8 ).
    > >
    > > thanks.
    > >
    > > -
    > > woody

    > Hi. If the blackpoint is set to 0, then I suppose it will fall at
    > 255*(x/100)^gamma

    I should have added that I assumed x% gray to mean "would fall at
    2.55*x or gamma=1 (linear mapping)". I have no clue if this is what it
    is supposed to mean photographically (eg maybe it already is defined
    using some sort of logarithmic scale etc; I have no clue, as I said).

    I suspect that was your question too.

    acl, Jan 16, 2007
  5. Roy G

    Mike Russell Guest

    > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ? where
    > x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or 1.8 ).

    There are a number of valid ways to answer your question. Here's a simple
    one: taking RGB(255,255,255) as 100 percent, for gamma 2.2, the percentages
    map to RGB values like this:

    00 RGB(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    10 RGB(88.0,88.0,88.0)
    20 RGB(123.0,123.0,123.0)
    30 RGB(148.0,148.0,148.0)
    40 RGB(169.0,169.0,169.0)
    50 RGB(187.0,187.0,187.0)
    60 RGB(203.0,203.0,203.0)
    70 RGB(217.0,217.0,217.0)
    80 RGB(231.0,231.0,231.0)
    90 RGB(243.0,243.0,243.0)
    100 RGB(255.0,255.0,255.0)

    These numbers were calculated in Photoshop by converting a gamma 1.0
    gradient to sRGB, posterizing to 11 steps, and outputting the numbers as
    text from the Curvemeister plugin.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 16, 2007
  6. Roy G

    acl Guest

    acl wrote:
    > Steven Woody wrote:
    > > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ? where
    > > x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or 1.8 ).
    > >
    > > thanks.
    > >
    > > -
    > > woody

    > Hi. If the blackpoint is set to 0, then I suppose it will fall at
    > 255*(x/100)^gamma

    oops, typo: should have been
    255*(x/100)^(1/gamma)
    as it is meant to compensate for the nonlinearity. Maybe someone can
    tell me if this is correct, or if x% gray means something else than
    what I think? Thanks.

    acl, Jan 16, 2007
  7. Roy G

    Steven Woody Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:
    > "Steven Woody" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ? where
    > > x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or 1.8 ).

    > There are a number of valid ways to answer your question. Here's a simple
    > one: taking RGB(255,255,255) as 100 percent, for gamma 2.2, the percentages
    > map to RGB values like this:
    >
    > 00 RGB(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    > 10 RGB(88.0,88.0,88.0)
    > 20 RGB(123.0,123.0,123.0)
    > 30 RGB(148.0,148.0,148.0)
    > 40 RGB(169.0,169.0,169.0)
    > 50 RGB(187.0,187.0,187.0)
    > 60 RGB(203.0,203.0,203.0)
    > 70 RGB(217.0,217.0,217.0)
    > 80 RGB(231.0,231.0,231.0)
    > 90 RGB(243.0,243.0,243.0)
    > 100 RGB(255.0,255.0,255.0)
    >
    > These numbers were calculated in Photoshop by converting a gamma 1.0
    > gradient to sRGB, posterizing to 11 steps, and outputting the numbers as
    > text from the Curvemeister plugin.
    > --
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    the data seem close to the formula acl provided.

    Steven Woody, Jan 16, 2007
  8. acl wrote:
    > acl wrote:
    >> Steven Woody wrote:
    >>> what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray ?
    >>> where x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or
    >>> 1.8 ).
    >>>
    >>> thanks.
    >>>
    >>> -
    >>> woody

    >> Hi. If the blackpoint is set to 0, then I suppose it will fall at
    >> 255*(x/100)^gamma

    > oops, typo: should have been
    > 255*(x/100)^(1/gamma)
    > as it is meant to compensate for the nonlinearity. Maybe someone can
    > tell me if this is correct, or if x% gray means something else than
    > what I think? Thanks.

    Looks good to me. 18% grey is about mid-scale.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2007
  9. "Steven Woody" <> writes:
    > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray?
    > where x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or
    > 1.8 ).

    For 18 % grey (i.e Zone V), and gamma 2.2, the answer is (126,126,126).

    For pixel values for the other zones - and some background, please
    see: http://hannemyr.com/photo/zonesystem.html
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Roy G

    Steven Woody Guest

    On Jan 22, 4:15 pm, Gisle Hannemyr <> wrote:
    > "Steven Woody" <> writes:
    > > what's the pixel value ( from 0 to 255 ) representing a x% gray?
    > > where x ranged from 0 to 100 and gamma is supposed to be 2.2 ( or
    > > 1.8 ).For 18 % grey (i.e Zone V), and gamma 2.2, the answer is (126,126,126).

    > For pixel values for the other zones - and some background, please
    > see:http://hannemyr.com/photo/zonesystem.html

    thank you, very one!

    Steven Woody, Jan 26, 2007