    Thanks so much.

    Hugh,
    , Jun 22, 2006

  2. Rich Clark Guest

    wrote:

    > So I guess the bottom line is, is there a catch somewhere, or is it
    > that they are just releasing the DVDs in a more compact casing and
    > saving on packaging?

    I gather that these are the same transfers of the episodes themselves
    as the original boxes. But many of the original sets had a seventh disc
    of bonus features, and that disc is omitted from these new sets. I've
    also seen references to the possibility that on one or more of the new
    sets, some of the old extra features have been moved to one of the six
    discs, but I can't confirm that. You can probably find a rundown of the
    exact differences somewhere.

    I think the bottom line is that if all you care about is the episodes,
    the new sets are fine. And for the sets that were always six discs (the
    last three? not sure), the new sets are the same.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jun 23, 2006

  3. On 22 Jun 2006 11:47:25 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I currently have the first two seasons of x-Files and the first three
    >seasons of Stargate SG1. I am looking at adding to my collection and I
    >noticed that they have recently released Slimline (or whatever they are
    >called) versions of both series.
    >
    >Both of the new releases are cheaper than their original releases which
    >tends to make one wary. I don't know if they are cheaper as to
    >encourage purchasing the new releases, or if it's because the quality
    >is not as good or they have cut things out?
    >
    >I know that they will often re-release movies with a different cover,
    >lower price, but take out a bunch of the extras (which of course they
    >don't point out), or in some cases the second disc all-together (but
    >they make it appear like you are buying the original release).
    >
    >So I guess the bottom line is, is there a catch somewhere, or is it
    >that they are just releasing the DVDs in a more compact casing and
    >saving on packaging?
    >
    >Thanks so much.
    >
    >Hugh,

    Don't know about the Stargate releases, but the x-files releases have
    put more episodes/disc and deleted some of the extra materials. So
    there is a difference in the x-files sets.

    grant kinsley, Jun 23, 2006
  4. jayembee Guest

    grant kinsley <> wrote:

    > Don't know about the Stargate releases, but the x-files releases
    > have put more episodes/disc and deleted some of the extra materials.
    > So there is a difference in the x-files sets.

    As far as I know, the new Stargate releases have the same exact
    content as the previous releases. They are just now packaged in
    Slimpack cases.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jun 26, 2006