"X-Files" Movie DVD damaged in my laptop

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by gassyal, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. gassyal

    gassyal Guest

    Environment: Compaq R4000 laptop running Windows XP Home with
    players: InterVideo WinDVD 5 and Windows Media Player 10

    Hi group:

    I bought a used copy (disc examined and it had NO noticeable scratches
    in it) of the X-Files Movie and was running it on my laptop in the
    InterVideo player.

    I watched the Bonus Feature in the disc (about how the movie was made,
    etc.) and started to watch the movie. I got an error message saying
    that the InterVideo player did not support DTS multichannel audio on
    the disc.

    I shut down the InterVideo player and turned on the Windows Media
    Player. To my surprise, the disc was not read by that player.

    I opened Windows Explorer to look at the disc and nothing came up.

    The movie disc now was not being read by the DVD player.

    I removed the disc and looked at it. It had between 15 and 20
    scratches extending vertically from the inside ring outward toward the
    outside of the disc.

    All I was doing was trying to view the movie disc with two different
    players...I was doing NO burning with the disc as it's a commercial
    disc that can't be written to...even if I wanted to.

    This is the first time I experience a problem like this with my 1 1/2
    year old laptop.

    I contacted HP (everything is out of warranty) and the Chat support
    person suggested reinstalling the drivers to the DVD player/writer in
    the laptop. (I don't believe the support person was really knowable
    about the cause of this problem.)

    I did all this and now, how can I satisfy myself that this will
    resolve the problem.

    I also ran the self-diagnosis program from the HP Help website and the
    hardware passed two different tests.

    I burned some photos on a CD disc this evening and everything went
    well.

    I'm afraid to put a commercial DVD disc in the machine for fear that
    it will get damaged.

    Do any group members have any experience with a problem like this? Is
    this a software and/or hardware problem?

    I look forward to reading your comments on this matter.

    Regards,
    Al Gershen
    Grants Pass, OR

    gassyal, Feb 26, 2007

  2. gassyal

    MassiveProng Guest

    On 25 Feb 2007 21:04:25 -0800, "gassyal" <> Gave
    us:

    >Hi

    You're so full of shit to blame a problem your laptop developed on a
    DVD you were watching when your shitbox went south.

    MassiveProng, Feb 26, 2007

  3. gassyal

    gassyal Guest

    Hi group:

    I have a followup to my original posting (partially shown below).

    I took the damaged DVD movie to work today to show to one of our
    Information Systems person.

    He looked at the disc and said that the disc was NOT scratched by the
    DVD player in my laptop.

    What he found was that some oil type material was splattered on the
    inner rings of the DVD. He removed this material with a small amount
    of alcohol on a soft rag and the DVD worked OK in his laptop.

    My question now is where did this oil type material come from?

    Was it squirted on the DVD from somewhere in the DVD player? Was
    there lots of heat in the laptop body that caused the oil type
    material to come from somewhere and be splattered on the DVD.

    This is all very odd and I continue to request your comments.

    Regards,
    Al Gershen
    Grants Pass, OR

    gassyal, Feb 27, 2007
  4. gassyal

    MassiveProng Guest

    On 26 Feb 2007 22:45:19 -0800, "gassyal" <> Gave
    us:

    >My question now is where did this oil type material come from?

    The drive motor of the DVD player, or someone sabotaged your
    laptop's DVD drive.

    MassiveProng, Feb 27, 2007
  5. gassyal

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "gassyal" <> wrote:
    >Hi group:
    >
    >I have a followup to my original posting (partially shown below).
    >
    >I took the damaged DVD movie to work today to show to one of our
    >Information Systems person.
    >
    >He looked at the disc and said that the disc was NOT scratched by the
    >DVD player in my laptop.
    >
    >What he found was that some oil type material was splattered on the
    >inner rings of the DVD. He removed this material with a small amount
    >of alcohol on a soft rag and the DVD worked OK in his laptop.
    >
    >My question now is where did this oil type material come from?
    >
    >Was it squirted on the DVD from somewhere in the DVD player? Was
    >there lots of heat in the laptop body that caused the oil type
    >material to come from somewhere and be splattered on the DVD.

    Most lilely some of the white lithium grease that they apply to the rails and
    gears in the DVD player has came off and splattered across the disk and
    possibly onto the lens. I have never personally seen this happen myself but if
    the manufacturer of the drive had some employee or machine put too much on the
    rails or in the wrong place , it could possibly happen. Too much grease is
    not good.

    GMAN, Feb 27, 2007