X-Drive II copying problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ville P, May 23, 2004.

  1. Ville P

    Ville P Guest

    Hello!

    I have read the FAQ's without any luck. I can't find any similar experience
    with X-drive II by search engines or newsgroups either.

    I'm using Windows XP, 2.5" hard disk is jumpered as master, have formatted
    X-drive FAT32 with X-Drive formatting program, I have tried to upgrade the
    firmware (how do I tell which firmware version I have in X-Drive?), I have
    done the hard reset after firmware upgrade.

    I can't copy large files from X-drive to computer hard drive, transfer is
    slow and gradually hangs totally. I can copy the file from computer to
    X-Drive without problems.

    What to do? Do I really need Win98 to perform firmware upgrade and
    formatting?

    regards,

    Ville
    Ville P, May 23, 2004

  2. Ville P

    Robertwgross Guest

    Ville wrote:
    >I have read the FAQ's without any luck. I can't find any similar experience
    >with X-drive II by search engines or newsgroups either.
    >I'm using Windows XP, 2.5" hard disk is jumpered as master, have formatted
    >X-drive FAT32 with X-Drive formatting program, I have tried to upgrade the
    >firmware (how do I tell which firmware version I have in X-Drive?), I have
    >done the hard reset after firmware upgrade.
    >I can't copy large files from X-drive to computer hard drive, transfer is
    >slow and gradually hangs totally. I can copy the file from computer to
    >X-Drive without problems.
    >What to do? Do I really need Win98 to perform firmware upgrade and
    >formatting?

    Check to see if your computer hard disk needs defragmenting.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, May 23, 2004

  3. Ville P

    Ville P Guest

    I have just done the defragmenting too. I shouldn't be the problem. I'll
    soon try a fresh start by reinstalling XP.

    Ville

    Ville P, May 23, 2004
  4. Ville P

    Tom Scales Guest

    I stopped using my X-Drive II. I was very startled to discover that it is
    NOT a USB2 device, contrary to their marketing material. It is USB2
    COMPATIBLE. When you challenge their tech support, which I did, they say
    that they are faster than USB1.1, but do not support USB2 speeds. It was so
    slow that it was basically unusable for large volumes of data (I had a 60gb
    drive in mine).

    Now it sits in a closet.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 23, 2004
  5. Ville P

    gordo Guest

    Where did you find any tech support for the X's Drive II? I have not
    received any coherent responses from what is apparently their only
    representative in the US. This was regarding upgrading to the latest
    firmware version using XP to download.
    Thanks,

    Gordo

    gordo, May 23, 2004
  6. Ville P

    Bob Shomler Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > I stopped using my X-Drive II. I was very startled to discover that it is
    > NOT a USB2 device, contrary to their marketing material. It is USB2
    > COMPATIBLE. When you challenge their tech support, which I did, they say
    > that they are faster than USB1.1, but do not support USB2 speeds. It was so
    > slow that it was basically unusable for large volumes of data (I had a 60gb
    > drive in mine).

    What transfer rate did you experience? How long to transfer a GB?

    Bob Shomler
    www.shomler.com
    Bob Shomler, May 23, 2004
  7. Ville P

    Tom Scales Guest

    I didn't time it, but I estimated it at 10-15% faster than USB1.1

    As for tech support, I went to the link on the Taiwan site.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 23, 2004
  8. "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I stopped using my X-Drive II. I was very startled to discover that it is
    > NOT a USB2 device,

    The XDrive is USB2. Transfers are USB2 speed.
    Georgette Preddy, May 23, 2004
  9. "Ville P" <> wrote in message news:<4BYrc.40$>...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have read the FAQ's without any luck. I can't find any similar experience
    > with X-drive II by search engines or newsgroups either.
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP, 2.5" hard disk is jumpered as master, have formatted
    > X-drive FAT32 with X-Drive formatting program, I have tried to upgrade the
    > firmware (how do I tell which firmware version I have in X-Drive?), I have
    > done the hard reset after firmware upgrade.
    >
    > I can't copy large files from X-drive to computer hard drive, transfer is
    > slow and gradually hangs totally. I can copy the file from computer to
    > X-Drive without problems.

    It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    single continous FAT16 partition.

    > What to do?

    Format it with a single continous FAT16 partition, or buy an XDrive
    with a drive pre-installed.

    Georgette Preddy, May 23, 2004
  10. (Georgette Preddy) writes:

    > "Ville P" <> wrote in message news:<4BYrc.40$>...
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > I have read the FAQ's without any luck. I can't find any similar experience
    > > with X-drive II by search engines or newsgroups either.
    > >
    > > I'm using Windows XP, 2.5" hard disk is jumpered as master, have formatted
    > > X-drive FAT32 with X-Drive formatting program, I have tried to upgrade the
    > > firmware (how do I tell which firmware version I have in X-Drive?), I have
    > > done the hard reset after firmware upgrade.
    > >
    > > I can't copy large files from X-drive to computer hard drive, transfer is
    > > slow and gradually hangs totally. I can copy the file from computer to
    > > X-Drive without problems.

    > It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    > shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    > single continous FAT16 partition.

    No, x-drive supports FAT32 partitions on the disk drive, otherwise you wouldn't
    be able to put more than a 2 gig drive on it (at least if the drive was
    formatted normally, I think you could modify the cluser size when formatting to
    get somewhat larger sizes).

    > > What to do?

    > Format it with a single continous FAT16 partition, or buy an XDrive
    > with a drive pre-installed.
    >
    > > Do I really need Win98 to perform firmware upgrade and
    > > formatting?

    You used to need a Windows 98 machine, but the last firmware release added XP
    support (and it took several iterations until the XP support worked for most
    people).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, May 23, 2004
  11. Ville P

    John Bean Guest

    On 23 May 2004 12:55:20 -0700, Georgette Preddy wrote:

    > "Ville P" <> wrote in message news:<4BYrc.40$>...
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I have read the FAQ's without any luck. I can't find any similar experience
    >> with X-drive II by search engines or newsgroups either.
    >>
    >> I'm using Windows XP, 2.5" hard disk is jumpered as master, have formatted
    >> X-drive FAT32 with X-Drive formatting program, I have tried to upgrade the
    >> firmware (how do I tell which firmware version I have in X-Drive?), I have
    >> done the hard reset after firmware upgrade.
    >>
    >> I can't copy large files from X-drive to computer hard drive, transfer is
    >> slow and gradually hangs totally. I can copy the file from computer to
    >> X-Drive without problems.

    > It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    > shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    > single continous FAT16 partition.

    Yes it does. It works fine with FAT32, I have three disks 10, 20, and 30MB
    all of which are formatted FAT32 and all work fine. If it could only work
    with FAT16 it would be useless.

    --
    John Bean

    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a
    Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and
    explode once a year, killing everyone inside (Robert X. Cringely)
    John Bean, May 23, 2004
  12. Ville P

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 10:06:45 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >I stopped using my X-Drive II. I was very startled to discover that it is
    >NOT a USB2 device, contrary to their marketing material. It is USB2
    >COMPATIBLE. When you challenge their tech support, which I did, they say
    >that they are faster than USB1.1, but do not support USB2 speeds. It was so
    >slow that it was basically unusable for large volumes of data (I had a 60gb
    >drive in mine).
    >
    >Now it sits in a closet.

    It's probably a "Full-speed" USB 2.0 device, which is different from a
    "Hi-speed" USB 2.0 device.
    In fact, their site says it has a "Fast USB 2.0 compatible interface",
    which is not the same thing as saying it's actually a USB 2.0 device.
    http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/

    And this page does, indeed, say it has a "Fast USB 2.0 Interface
    port", which means it won't use USB 2.0's full speed:
    http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/specs.htm

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, May 23, 2004
  13. Ville P

    Tom Scales Guest

    The X-Drive is USB1.1. The X-Drive II supports USB2 but is NOT a hi-speed
    USB2 device.

    Branching out from being wrong about SIGMA?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 24, 2004
  14. Ville P

    Tom Scales Guest

    Now your out spreading misinformation on another topic? You're wrong about
    EVERYTHING you've said here. The X-drive II is not full USB2. The original
    X-Drive is USB1.1. The X-Drive II happily supports FAT32 AND NTFS
    partitions -- doesn't care anything about partitions.

    Fat16! What a joke.

    Tom Scales, May 24, 2004
  15. John Bean <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    > > shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    > > single continous FAT16 partition.

    > Yes it does. It works fine with FAT32, I have three disks 10, 20, and 30MB
    > all of which are formatted FAT32 and all work fine. If it could only work
    > with FAT16 it would be useless.

    FAT16 goes to any size, unadvertised.
    Georgette Preddy, May 24, 2004
  16. Ville P

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    stated that:

    >John Bean <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> > It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    >> > shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    >> > single continous FAT16 partition.

    >> Yes it does. It works fine with FAT32, I have three disks 10, 20, and 30MB
    >> all of which are formatted FAT32 and all work fine. If it could only work
    >> with FAT16 it would be useless.

    >FAT16 goes to any size, unadvertised.

    That's an incompetant lie, as are most of your statements. A FAT16
    filesystem cannot be larger than 2GB.

    (Ref: <http://members.iweb.net.au/~pstorr/pcbook/book4/eide.htm>)

    And we're still waiting to see a URL for these photos you claim to have
    sold.

    Lionel, May 24, 2004
  17. In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > John Bean <> wrote in message
    >
    > > > It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    > > > shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    > > > single continous FAT16 partition.

    > > Yes it does. It works fine with FAT32, I have three disks 10, 20, and 30MB
    > > all of which are formatted FAT32 and all work fine. If it could only work
    > > with FAT16 it would be useless.

    > FAT16 goes to any size, unadvertised.

    OK, you don't know shit about photography AND computers.
    Randall Ainsworth, May 24, 2004
  18. Ville P

    Bud Guest

    "Georgette Preddy" <> wrote yet more crap in
    message news:...

    > FAT16 goes to any size, unadvertised.

    Sigh. Yet more crap from your mouth Penis-Head Preddy

    Bud
    Bud, May 24, 2004
  19. Ville P

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 23 May 2004 20:42:28 -0700, (Georgette
    Preddy) wrote:

    >John Bean <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> > It shouldn't work at all with a WinXP FAT32 format, the XDrive device
    >> > shouldn't even see the hard drive since it can only see the first
    >> > single continous FAT16 partition.

    >> Yes it does. It works fine with FAT32, I have three disks 10, 20, and 30MB
    >> all of which are formatted FAT32 and all work fine. If it could only work
    >> with FAT16 it would be useless.

    >FAT16 goes to any size, unadvertised.

    You know as much about this as you do about cameras.
    Microsoft (will you admit they would know?) says 2 GB is the max size
    for a FAT16 partition:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;118335

    --
    Bill Funk