X-Drive II and external battery back

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by T Strong, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. T Strong

    T Strong Guest

    After becoming increasingly disappointed with low performance of internal
    battery I have finally found what seems a reasonable solution for an
    external battery for X-Drive II.

    Literally a simple holder for 6 AA batteries with appropriate plug to
    connect to X Drive.

    See

    http://www.card-media.co.uk/xsdrive II.htm

    Now perhaps the obvious questions as to how much battery life will I get
    from this, etc etc.

    Not tested fully yet, only tested to extent of running down the internal
    battery and connecting the external charger. My observations to date:

    1) X-drive does not show "charging light" as it would with external charger
    attached via the same socket

    2) On running down the internal battery to "one flashing bar" (of four) on
    the LCD display and then connecting the external pack it increases to 2 bars
    and carries on functioning. This seems reasonably consistent with advice on
    web page referred to above "note that the X'S-Drive internal batteries must
    have a minimum level of charge to allow the use of the external battery
    pack" - indicating that internal circuitry can somehow identify difference
    between a charger being connected and a battery pack?

    3) have used it with both regular AA batteries and rechargeable batteries,
    works with both.

    Looking for advice or experiences from anyone using similar arrangement:

    What additional usage might this offer (internal batteries per instruction
    manual are two 3.6V (720mAh) batteries) if I am running the external battery
    pack with 6 NiMh 2200 mAh rechargeables?

    Any other problems, drawbacks etc.

    Thanks in advance.
    T Strong, Apr 7, 2004

  2. T Strong

    Alfred Molon Guest

    T Strong <> wrote:

    >What additional usage might this offer (internal batteries per instruction
    >manual are two 3.6V (720mAh) batteries) if I am running the external battery
    >pack with 6 NiMh 2200 mAh rechargeables?

    The internal battery of the Xs Drive II is 7.2V at 780 mAh, for a total
    evergy of 5.6 Wh. Six 2200 mAH NiMh will have a total energy of 15.8 Wh,
    i.e. almost three times that of the internal battery.

    The internal battery is good for about 3 - 3.5 GByte of data transfers,
    so the external battery should give you 9 - 10 GB of data transfers.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Apr 9, 2004

  3. T Strong

    T Strong Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > >What additional usage might this offer (internal batteries per

    instruction
    > >manual are two 3.6V (720mAh) batteries) if I am running the external

    battery
    > >pack with 6 NiMh 2200 mAh rechargeables?

    > The internal battery of the Xs Drive II is 7.2V at 780 mAh, for a total
    > evergy of 5.6 Wh. Six 2200 mAH NiMh will have a total energy of 15.8 Wh,
    > i.e. almost three times that of the internal battery.
    >
    > The internal battery is good for about 3 - 3.5 GByte of data transfers,
    > so the external battery should give you 9 - 10 GB of data transfers.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Many thanks Alfred for the Maths on the calculation of likely
    usage/capacity.

    My experience with transfers on internal batteries has been about 2 to 2.5
    Gbyte of date. Not sure if this is a function of largely using Crucial 256
    mb CF Cards which I think are quite slow on download?.

    But have adequate supply of AA batteries, both standard and rechargeable, so
    this should give me a good back up resource when away from mains power for
    several days at a time. All I need now is a solar powered charger for the
    NiMh's !!!!
    T Strong, Apr 9, 2004