    MS Office Pro 03
    Roxio 7
    no other multimedia software installed

    news.microsoft.com, Aug 1, 2005

  2. news.microsoft.com

    John Barnes Guest

    You didn't mention an A/V product, but the most common cause of the problem
    is AVAST A/V. Same symptoms as yours .

    John Barnes, Aug 1, 2005

  3. news.microsoft.com

    NNBXX Guest

    Avast antivirus installed on your computer ?

    NNBXX, Aug 1, 2005
  4. I was under the impression that Avast was the best AV to get for the 64 bit
    windows. Is this not the case?

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZF8wMDc=?=, Aug 1, 2005
  5. news.microsoft.com

    John Barnes Guest

    Seems to work fine for a lot and it is free, so is NOD32 64-bit beta and it
    is very good. On the purchase side, the most reasonable and also well liked
    is eTrust 7.1. Symantec and McAfee have corporate versions that work.
    Andre likes Symantec corporate. Nobody that I know of has reported back on
    McAfee.

    John Barnes, Aug 1, 2005
  6. news.microsoft.com

    NNBXX Guest

    Indeed, Avast is still one of the best A/V for x64, along with NOD32 2.5
    beta and eTrust 7.1, *but* it appears that it freezes shutdown on certain
    x64 system, including mine. On the other hand, some other x64 users report
    non problems at all with Avast. Depends.

    NNBXX, Aug 1, 2005
  7. news.microsoft.com

    M. Murcek Guest

    Has anyone reported back to Alwil tech support about the Avast hangup at
    shutdown problem on x64 Edition?

    M. Murcek, Aug 1, 2005
  8. news.microsoft.com

    Bob Guest

    <laf> YEP! I failed to mention "AVAST".........thanks for pointing out the
    culprit. :)
    Bob

    Bob, Aug 1, 2005
  9. news.microsoft.com

    Bill Ross Guest

    I have a problem, not with random reboots, but with random lockups/freezes.
    Is this hardware or could this also be software, such as AVAST, which I do
    have installed?

    Bill Ross

    Bill Ross, Aug 6, 2005