WYSIWYG website editors for web browser

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Hope, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    maz wrote:

    > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using
    > just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am
    > designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit
    > text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    > macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    > connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    > seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    > The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should use
    > php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops, and
    > Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they just
    > want something simple.

    Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.

    More details at http://www.iprosite.com/

    The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    crappy html.

    Chris Hope, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Chris Hope

    maz Guest

    Hi

    Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using just
    their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am designing
    the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit text and images
    in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at macromedia contribute,
    but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup connection. They also want many
    people to do the editing, so buying a seperate contribute license for each
    user isn't an option.
    The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should use php
    and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops, and Mambo, but
    they are far to complex for the user requirements, they just want something
    simple.

    I would welcome any recommendations

    TIA
    maz, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > maz wrote:
    >
    >> Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that
    >> can allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in
    >> using just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I
    >> am designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit
    >> text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    >> macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    >> connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    >> seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    >> The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should use
    >> php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops, and
    >> Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they just
    >> want something simple.

    > Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    > editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    > get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.
    >
    > More details at http://www.iprosite.com/
    >
    > The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    > crappy html.

    I almost forgot... the site mentions a professional version you have to pay
    for. There's not actually any difference between the pro version and the
    "lite" version other than you get support with the pro version.

    Chris Hope, Nov 24, 2004
  4. In article <1101260807.781159@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov 2004
    14:54:02 +1300, maz <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> says...
    > Hi
    >
    > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using just
    > their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am designing
    > the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit text and images
    > in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at macromedia contribute,
    > but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup connection. They also want many
    > people to do the editing, so buying a seperate contribute license for each
    > user isn't an option.

    What you want is called a "content management system". Some ISPs do offer
    this, you could look at one that offers this service as part of their
    package.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  5. In article <1101261256_6820@216.128.74.129> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov
    2004 14:52:42 +1300, Chris Hope <> says...
    > maz wrote:
    >
    > > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    > > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using
    > > just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am
    > > designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit
    > > text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    > > macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    > > connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    > > seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    > > The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should use
    > > php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops, and
    > > Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they just
    > > want something simple.

    > Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    > editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    > get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.
    >
    > More details at http://www.iprosite.com/
    >
    > The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    > crappy html.

    Is that the DHTML plugin or extension for IE5?
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > What you want is called a "content management system". Some ISPs do offer
    > this, you could look at one that offers this service as part of their
    > package.

    in another post, they said that they have had a look at some content
    managment systems, and they were too much.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <1101261256_6820@216.128.74.129> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov
    > 2004 14:52:42 +1300, Chris Hope <> says...
    >> maz wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that
    >> > can allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in
    >> > using just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website.
    >> > I am designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to
    >> > edit text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    >> > macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    >> > connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    >> > seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    >> > The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should
    >> > use php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops,
    >> > and Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they
    >> > just want something simple.

    >> Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    >> editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    >> get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.
    >>
    >> More details at http://www.iprosite.com/
    >>
    >> The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    >> crappy html.

    > Is that the DHTML plugin or extension for IE5?

    It's the editor that is built into Internet Explorer. You can make pretty
    much any region in a page editable by setting its .designMode property to
    "On". Then it's just a matter of building a nice interface around it.

    There's similar functionality from Mozilla 1.4 on (at least I think it's
    from that version) and the API for the two is very similar.

    Chris Hope, Nov 24, 2004
  8. Chris Hope

    Tim Guest

    I recommend you get 1 person to coordinate the contributions and become the
    local 'expert' on behalf of the many contributors. IE to receive completed
    hand written or computer generated content - not necessarily HTML and
    complete the editing / uploading aspect. A coordinator will be essential
    otherwise the site may end up repeatedly in a mess.

    It should be easy to convince them of this: all they need to visualise is
    the potential mess that many people concurrently editing may create, the
    possibility of "but I thought you were doing this...." and no one person
    (task doesn't get done) or two people at the same time (second person
    overwrites first) doing it and so on.

    Regardless of the editor used, it may be a case of "too many cooks spoil the
    broth" - unless the site is going to be large and clearly partitioned areas
    of responsibilities, but still with 1 central coordindator.

    If you can reduce the number of active editors them a more comprehensive
    offline editor will be beneficial as the IE plug ins are just that so are
    limited.

    - Tim

    Tim, Nov 24, 2004
  9. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov 2004
    17:18:09 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > What you want is called a "content management system". Some ISPs do offer
    > > this, you could look at one that offers this service as part of their
    > > package.

    > in another post, they said that they have had a look at some content
    > managment systems, and they were too much.

    Some ISPs use CMS to provide their clients with a built in page editor.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 24, 2004
  10. Chris Hope

    Steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> What you want is called a "content management system". Some ISPs do
    >> offer this, you could look at one that offers this service as part of
    >> their package.

    > in another post, they said that they have had a look at some content
    > managment systems, and they were too much.

    I use etomite. It's free.
    Steve, Nov 24, 2004
  11. Chris Hope

    maz Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >
    > >> What you want is called a "content management system". Some ISPs do
    > >> offer this, you could look at one that offers this service as part of
    > >> their package.

    > > in another post, they said that they have had a look at some content
    > > managment systems, and they were too much.

    > I use etomite. It's free.

    I have just tried that out and it looks pretty good. Especially using it
    with hmtlarea and the image upload functions. It is still purhaps a little
    too complex for the users. What I am looking for is something with just the
    WYSIWYG functionality, with out the content management page. eg hmtlarea on
    its own would be good, but it doesn't have a image uploader.
    maz, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Chris Hope

    maz Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > maz wrote:
    >
    > > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that

    can
    > > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using
    > > just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am
    > > designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit
    > > text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    > > macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    > > connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    > > seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    > > The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should use
    > > php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops, and
    > > Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they just
    > > want something simple.

    > Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    > editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    > get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.
    >
    > More details at http://www.iprosite.com/
    >
    > The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    > crappy html.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Thabks for that information. I have looked at Webdrive for hosting before.
    Do you know if the system supports image uploading?
    Do you know if Webdrive provides hosting for no charge to charity sites,
    with a sponsored badge on the website? The person who is setting up the
    charity has been on 60 minutes, and the site will get quite a bit of
    publicity as it has a number of NZ celebrities involved with it.
    maz, Nov 25, 2004
  13. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    maz wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> maz wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that

    > can
    >> > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using
    >> > just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am
    >> > designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit
    >> > text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    >> > macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    >> > connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    >> > seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    >> > The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should
    >> > use php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops,
    >> > and Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they
    >> > just want something simple.

    >> Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    >> editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    >> get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.
    >>
    >> More details at http://www.iprosite.com/
    >>
    >> The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    >> crappy html.
    >>

    > Thabks for that information. I have looked at Webdrive for hosting before.
    > Do you know if the system supports image uploading?

    IIRC IProsite lets you upload images, but the way it works is to take the
    file that is uploaded and then FTP it to the server after accepting the
    upload. This is transparant to the end user and removes the problem of file
    permissions (ie having to make the directory the file goes into world
    writable).

    > Do you know if Webdrive provides hosting for no charge to charity sites,
    > with a sponsored badge on the website?

    I think they do, or at least cheaper hosting anyway. Send them an email to
    confirm.

    Chris Hope, Nov 25, 2004
  14. Chris Hope

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:54:02 +1300, maz wrote:

    > The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should use php
    > and mysql..

    While Linux , php and MySQL can be in the same sentence, php and MySQL are
    across platform programmes.
    Gordon, Nov 25, 2004
  15. Chris Hope

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:54:02 +1300, maz wrote:

    > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using just
    > their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am designing
    > the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit text and images
    > in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at macromedia contribute,
    > but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup connection.

    Okay, having read all of the thread I am still not sure what you require.

    Do you want people to be able to upload their phots to the web site?

    You say, "allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images".
    Surely you do not want every Tom, Jane and Helen being able to edit the
    web site?

    Surely people can edit, or be taught how to, pictures on their machines
    and upload the finished product.

    Graphics are bandwidth intensive, so editing the on the web server will
    always be clunkly.

    Are you asking for a picture editing programme to run on the server via
    the clients browser interface?
    Gordon, Nov 25, 2004
  16. Chris Hope

    maz Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:54:02 +1300, maz wrote:
    >
    > > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that

    can
    > > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using

    just
    > > their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website. I am

    designing
    > > the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to edit text and

    images
    > > in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at macromedia

    contribute,
    > > but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup connection.

    > Okay, having read all of the thread I am still not sure what you require.
    >
    > Do you want people to be able to upload their phots to the web site?
    >
    > You say, "allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images".
    > Surely you do not want every Tom, Jane and Helen being able to edit the
    > web site?
    >
    > Surely people can edit, or be taught how to, pictures on their machines
    > and upload the finished product.
    >
    > Graphics are bandwidth intensive, so editing the on the web server will
    > always be clunkly.
    >
    > Are you asking for a picture editing programme to run on the server via
    > the clients browser interface?

    Hi Gordon,

    Essentially the site will be updated by a single person, who just wants to
    use a interface similar to word to edit the website. They are non
    technically minded. They would log into a spassword protected page, which
    would activate the editor, and they they navigate the website, editing the
    editable regions in the website.
    Really they only to need to edit the body of existing pages, so they don't
    need to create new ones. I would create any new pages and modify the menu,
    if they needed these doing in Dreamweaver.
    Currently I do use a very simple text editor to allow my clients to edit
    text in their websites this same way and it works quite well. This runs with
    php and uses cookies and flat text files to store the data. Editable regions
    in pages are made with simple php tags. This system however doesn't allow
    the user to upload images, just link to existing images on a server.
    I would be looking at just uploading the images through the editing tool, as
    the images would be edited on the clients computer before uploading. This is
    the kind of tool I am looking at http://www.wysiwygpro.com/demos/demo1.php
    which has trhe upload image feature, as well as a image manage that allows
    your to browse the images on the server.
    This kind of tool is intergrated into many CMS systems, I just want the
    standalone wysiwyg tool.
    maz, Nov 25, 2004
  17. Chris Hope

    Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:54:02 +1300, maz wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using
    > just their web browser.

    Mozilla.

    Very nice editor as well as browser.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  18. In article <pan.2004.11.25.06.42.26.921010@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Thu, 25
    Nov 2004 19:42:26 +1300,
    <> says...
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:54:02 +1300, maz wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that can
    > > allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in using
    > > just their web browser.

    > Mozilla.
    >
    > Very nice editor as well as browser.

    Doesn't have inbrowser editing.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  19. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <pan.2004.11.25.06.42.26.921010@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Thu, 25
    > Nov 2004 19:42:26 +1300,
    > <> says...
    >> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:54:02 +1300, maz wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that
    >> > can allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in
    >> > using just their web browser.

    >> Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Very nice editor as well as browser.

    > Doesn't have inbrowser editing.

    Yes it does, in the same way that IE does. From Mozilla 1.4 you can create
    an editor in the browser. The API for the two is almost identical. But as
    for IE you need to create an interface around it etc etc to make it user
    friendly.

    Chris Hope, Nov 26, 2004
  20. Chris Hope

    maz Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    > > maz wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is anyone able to recommend a good stable WYSISYG website editor, that
    > >> can allow no techical people to edit a website and upload images, in
    > >> using just their web browser. One is needed for a new charity website.

    > >> am designing the website in Dreamweaver, but they want to be able to

    edit
    > >> text and images in a WYSIWYG browser environment. I have looked at
    > >> macromedia contribute, but it is very slow and clunky on a dialup
    > >> connection. They also want many people to do the editing, so buying a
    > >> seperate contribute license for each user isn't an option.
    > >> The other requirements is that is going on a linux server, so should

    use
    > >> php and mysql.. I have also looked at CMS systems such as Xoops, and
    > >> Mambo, but they are far to complex for the user requirements, they just
    > >> want something simple.

    > > Web Drive's IProsite is quite good. It currently only supports WYSIWYG
    > > editing in Internet Explorer but I'll be helping them in the new year to
    > > get it working in Mozilla based browsers as well.
    > >
    > > More details at http://www.iprosite.com/
    > >
    > > The only downside with IE's browser based editing is it creates *REALLY*
    > > crappy html.

    > I almost forgot... the site mentions a professional version you have to

    pay
    > for. There's not actually any difference between the pro version and the
    > "lite" version other than you get support with the pro version.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Thnaks I tried out Iprosite. It didn't install on iSERVES server properly,
    but got it working on a cpanel server with no problems. The lite version
    does have restrictions on it, where some things are disabled, such as image
    uploading and table insertion. Looks to be a nice interface though.
    maz, Nov 26, 2004