WXP Pro x64 SP3

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by RichardAinz, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. RichardAinz

    RichardAinz Guest

    Greetings,
    been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install
    my much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).

    Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
    answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.

    I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and
    had some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
    thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.

    To my question
    - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
    least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
    service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to
    run the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest
    applied. IMHO.

    Thanks
    RichardAinz, Jun 17, 2008

  2. No rumors of a Service Pack 3 for Server 2003/XP x64 have
    been posted here yet.

    Since Server 2008 is out I really wouldn't expect an update
    for Server 2003.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 17, 2008

  3. I wouldn't expect anything soon. SP2 was a solid update, and I haven't seen
    any noise about an SP3 for Server (or XP x64) so far. I'd expect one,
    possibly next year, just on the basis of when things happen, but that would
    likely be the last SP. And it's possible that there might not be another one
    at all. But certainly there's nothing happening soon.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 18, 2008
  4. RichardAinz

    Michael Guest

    RichardAinz wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install
    > my much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).
    >
    > Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
    > answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.
    >
    > I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and
    > had some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
    > thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.
    >
    > To my question
    > - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
    > least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
    > service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to
    > run the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest
    > applied. IMHO.
    >

    > Thanks

    There has been no Windows Server 2003 SP3 yet now. Use SP2.
    Michael, Jun 19, 2008
  5. XP64 goes out of mainstream support around April of next year so if there is
    going to be an SP3 we should be seeing a beta announcement pretty soon. If
    not then service pack level two will be the supported version to the end of
    extended support in 2014. There is no entry for SP3 in the lifecycle table
    for XP Pro x64 or Windows Server 2003 x64 so there is no way of knowing for
    sure what will happen.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 19, 2008
  6. RichardAinz

    RichardAinz Guest

    Thank you all for answers!
    Even if it may not have been what I wanted to hear, its better than a
    no. Very enlightening.

    RichardAinz, Jun 21, 2008
  7. You're welcome.

    I'm not sure what you wanted to hear, but there would be no relationship to
    the fixes and enhancements that were made to XP x86 anyway so maybe no SP3
    will be needed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 21, 2008