    jefe Guest

    Is there a physical reason why a 64 bit driver cannot be written for a 32
    bit device?? (ie wireless network card)

    jefe, Dec 10, 2005

  2. jefe

    John Barnes Guest

    There is no such thing as a 32-bit device, so the answer is no, but there is
    no reason that a 64-bit driver cannot be written for a device that has a
    32-bit driver.

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005

  3. What you are really asking for, I assume, is already in effect. I am not an
    authority on the writing of 'device drivers', but I know it involves a
    'header-part' that has to be 'assembly language'. Now, the header itself can
    pretty much be included by a copy-paste operation, according to the type of
    device in question, but the 'interface' to the high-level language
    apparantly is a stumbeling block. People with sufficient knowledge, insight
    and experience with assembly programming is in no abundant supply and the
    hardware manufacturers are in all probability trying to manage their
    resources with extreme strictness to prepare themselves for the transistion
    to Vista, which may introduce further enhancements to the technology, so you
    don't see a lot of them pressing on about the issue if the sales isn't of a
    certain order.

    That said - I have never understood Microsofts policy to sell the
    development tools as corporate products only, with the prizing that follows,
    if the corporate world undertook the least bit of effort to understand the
    'open source' movement, they would clearly see that the number of able
    programmers available would explode at the benefit of the entire industry,
    since there is an enormous interest among the hobbyists to be able to
    grapple with these things - I will mention my favorit issue, as an example -
    the drivers for the Sidewinder family of hardware that was discontinued by
    MS, still has drivers available for Linux. But those, of course, are open
    source.

    MS, recently released a 180day trial-version of the new Visual Studio
    Express - an extremely commendable thing to do in my opinion, but I am quite
    certain that it does not include the 'driver SDK', however, so drivers, in
    the future too, will remain the perpetual waiting theme, I guess.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 10, 2005