    Thanks.
    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, May 31, 2006

  2. Flycaster

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 08:48:40 -0400, Flycaster wrote:

    > Subject: wuauclt.exe: virus or not???
    > From: Flycaster <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:48:40 -0400
    >
    > Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
    > Spywareblaster.
    > Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
    > Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
    > wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
    > in i386.
    > Is this a virus?

    Windows update process IIRC.

    Meat Plow, May 31, 2006

  3. Flycaster

    gangle Guest

    "Flycaster" wrote
    > Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
    > Spywareblaster.
    > Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
    > Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
    > wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
    > in i386.
    > Is this a virus?
    >
    > BTW, while writing this inquiry, the computer stopped processing and
    > I've been getting alerts to restart the computer to finish the download.
    > I suspect that wuauclt.exe is valid, but want to double check.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It MIGHT be a valid Windows file OR it could be malware posing
    as a legitimate file.

    Submit the file to: http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus for
    inspection. It's not a great idea to rely on AVG as your main onboard
    AV program. Try the trial versions of either Kaspersky or NOD32
    for more comprehensive AV protection.

    gangle, May 31, 2006
  4. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    gangle wrote:
    > "Flycaster" wrote
    >> Windows XP, SP, Free AVG, Free ZoneAlarm, Windows Defender, Free AdAare,
    >> Spywareblaster.
    >> Computer running at high CPU usage, with CIDAEMON.EXE running at 27-63%.
    >> Noted that wuauclt.exe was new to the TM Processes. Searched for
    >> wuauclt.exe. it is in: c\windows\system 32, c\windows\service pack, and
    >> in i386.
    >> Is this a virus?
    >>
    >> BTW, while writing this inquiry, the computer stopped processing and
    >> I've been getting alerts to restart the computer to finish the download.
    >> I suspect that wuauclt.exe is valid, but want to double check.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > It MIGHT be a valid Windows file OR it could be malware posing
    > as a legitimate file.
    >
    > Submit the file to: http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus for
    > inspection. It's not a great idea to rely on AVG as your main onboard
    > AV program. Try the trial versions of either Kaspersky or NOD32
    > for more comprehensive AV protection.

    Check it out as you suggested. Not a virus. valid file. Thanks.

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, May 31, 2006