WTH is 'com surrogate?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    In launching a jpg through agent, I get this message from AVG:

    Application: COM Surrogate
    Full path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLHOST.EXE
    Local address: 192.168.1.16 : 49706
    Remote address: 131.107.115.28 : 80
    Connection: TCP connection
    Direction: Out

    This application is attempting to connect to "remote address".

    Ok. so what the hell is it?
    The IP given is registered to M$ and the website responds with
    "service unavailable".

    --

    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain(attributed)
    richard, Mar 11, 2008

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > In launching a jpg through agent, I get this message from AVG:
    >
    > Application: COM Surrogate
    > Full path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLHOST.EXE

    MS kb 328925 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328925 The COM+
    (Dllhost.exe) Process Loads the Latest Version of .NET Runtime During
    Remote Client Activations

    > Remote address: 131.107.115.28 : 80

    = rDNS crl.microsoft.com

    > Ok. so what the hell is it?
    > The IP given is registered to M$ and the website responds with
    > "service unavailable".

    Google 'com surrogate' and also read the dllhost.exe hits.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2008