    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . All my links are gone and I have
    an IE looking toolbar. What the hell has gone wrong here? Will deleting the
    Firefox browser and re-installing it fix this?

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Leroy Forrester

    First Last Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > Something seems to have gone wrong with my Firefox browser. Even though it
    > is not set as such my homepage is now
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . All my links are gone and I have
    > an IE looking toolbar. What the hell has gone wrong here? Will deleting the
    > Firefox browser and re-installing it fix this?

    test firefox with a new profile.

    --
    Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004

  3. "First Last" <> wrote in message
    > Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > > Something seems to have gone wrong with my Firefox browser. Even though

    it
    > > is not set as such my homepage is now
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . All my links are gone and I

    have
    > > an IE looking toolbar. What the hell has gone wrong here? Will deleting

    the
    > > Firefox browser and re-installing it fix this?
    > >

    > test firefox with a new profile.

    How do you do that? Before finding this newsgroup this morning and reading a
    few dozen posts, I was unaware there was any 'profile' associated with the
    browser. Thanks.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Leroy Forrester

    First Last Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > "First Last" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Leroy Forrester wrote:
    >>
    >>>Something seems to have gone wrong with my Firefox browser. Even though

    > it
    >
    >>>is not set as such my homepage is now
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . All my links are gone and I

    > have
    >
    >>>an IE looking toolbar. What the hell has gone wrong here? Will deleting

    > the
    >
    >>>Firefox browser and re-installing it fix this?
    >>>

    >>test firefox with a new profile.

    > How do you do that? Before finding this newsgroup this morning and reading a
    > few dozen posts, I was unaware there was any 'profile' associated with the
    > browser. Thanks.
    >

    >>--
    >>Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    >>http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    close firefox, click start, click run, enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
    click create a new profile, run firefox with that profile, see if you
    can set your homepage and if the toolbar looks right. all of your
    bookmarks will be in your old profile, but you can switch them over. if
    the new profile works, then you can move all of these files
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Firefox_:_Tips_:_Backup you
    might want to close firefox before moving these files or at least
    restart firefox if you don't. if you made a
    userChrome.css/userContent.css file(s) in your profile's chrome folder,
    then you'll have to move those, too. delete your old profile.

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Leroy Forrester

    .brian. Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > "First Last" <> wrote in message

    >> test firefox with a new profile.

    > How do you do that? Before finding this newsgroup this morning and
    > reading a few dozen posts, I was unaware there was any 'profile'
    > associated with the browser. Thanks.

    In the RUN box type 'firefox --profilemanager'

    --
    Brian

    .brian., Sep 19, 2004
  6. "First Last" <> wrote in message
    > Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > > "First Last" <> wrote in message

    > > it

    > > have

    > > the

    > >>test firefox with a new profile.

    > > How do you do that? Before finding this newsgroup this morning and

    reading a
    > > few dozen posts, I was unaware there was any 'profile' associated with

    the
    > > browser. Thanks.
    > >

    > >>--
    > >>Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    > >>http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    > close firefox, click start, click run, enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
    > click create a new profile, run firefox with that profile, see if you
    > can set your homepage and if the toolbar looks right. all of your
    > bookmarks will be in your old profile, but you can switch them over. if
    > the new profile works, then you can move all of these files
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Firefox_:_Tips_:_Backup you
    > might want to close firefox before moving these files or at least
    > restart firefox if you don't. if you made a
    > userChrome.css/userContent.css file(s) in your profile's chrome folder,
    > then you'll have to move those, too. delete your old profile.
    >
    > --
    > Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    I did as you said and it took me back here
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ with no profile option. Must be
    another virus. Damn I hate XP.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Leroy Forrester

    First Last Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > "First Last" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Leroy Forrester wrote:
    >>
    >>>"First Last" <> wrote in message

    >>>it

    >>>have

    >>>the

    >>>How do you do that? Before finding this newsgroup this morning and

    > reading a
    >
    >>>few dozen posts, I was unaware there was any 'profile' associated with

    > the
    >
    >>>browser. Thanks.

    >>close firefox, click start, click run, enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    >>Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
    >>click create a new profile, run firefox with that profile, see if you
    >>can set your homepage and if the toolbar looks right. all of your
    >>bookmarks will be in your old profile, but you can switch them over. if
    >>the new profile works, then you can move all of these files
    >>http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Firefox_:_Tips_:_Backup you
    >>might want to close firefox before moving these files or at least
    >>restart firefox if you don't. if you made a
    >>userChrome.css/userContent.css file(s) in your profile's chrome folder,
    >>then you'll have to move those, too. delete your old profile.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    >>http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    > I did as you said and it took me back here
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ with no profile option. Must be
    > another virus. Damn I hate XP.

    i'm confused. are you trying to change your homepage? did you click
    tools, options, and general? do you still have your old profile?
    'cause i think i misunderstood your first post if all you're trying to
    do is change your homepage. if you can change your homepage that way,
    then you can delete your new profile unless you don't have copies of the
    files you moved in your old profile. you'll need those files in your
    old profile. you can also make mulitiple homepages by opening multiple
    tabs before clicking tools, options, etc. when you get to general, you
    can just click the first button. i'm sorry if i misunderstood you.

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  9. "First Last" <> wrote in message
    > Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > > "First Last" <> wrote in message

    though

    deleting

    > > reading a

    > > the

    > >>close firefox, click start, click run, enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > >>Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
    > >>click create a new profile, run firefox with that profile, see if you
    > >>can set your homepage and if the toolbar looks right. all of your
    > >>bookmarks will be in your old profile, but you can switch them over. if
    > >>the new profile works, then you can move all of these files
    > >>http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Firefox_:_Tips_:_Backup you
    > >>might want to close firefox before moving these files or at least
    > >>restart firefox if you don't. if you made a
    > >>userChrome.css/userContent.css file(s) in your profile's chrome folder,
    > >>then you'll have to move those, too. delete your old profile.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    > >>http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    > > I did as you said and it took me back here
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ with no profile option. Must be
    > > another virus. Damn I hate XP.
    > >

    > i'm confused. are you trying to change your homepage? did you click
    > tools, options, and general? do you still have your old profile?
    > 'cause i think i misunderstood your first post if all you're trying to
    > do is change your homepage. if you can change your homepage that way,
    > then you can delete your new profile unless you don't have copies of the
    > files you moved in your old profile. you'll need those files in your
    > old profile. you can also make mulitiple homepages by opening multiple
    > tabs before clicking tools, options, etc. when you get to general, you
    > can just click the first button. i'm sorry if i misunderstood you.
    >
    > --
    > Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    No I wasnt trying to change my homepage, it was changed for me. When I check
    under internet options it is still the same, but when I open my browser it
    takes me to that Mozilla page. As far as profiles go, I dont know anything
    about that.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Leroy Forrester

    .brian. Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > "First Last" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Leroy Forrester wrote:
    >>
    >>>"First Last" <> wrote in message

    > though

    > deleting

    >>>reading a

    >>>the

    >>>I did as you said and it took me back here
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ with no profile option. Must be
    >>>another virus. Damn I hate XP.
    >>>

    >>i'm confused. are you trying to change your homepage? did you click
    >>tools, options, and general? do you still have your old profile?
    >>'cause i think i misunderstood your first post if all you're trying to
    >>do is change your homepage. if you can change your homepage that way,
    >>then you can delete your new profile unless you don't have copies of the
    >>files you moved in your old profile. you'll need those files in your
    >>old profile. you can also make mulitiple homepages by opening multiple
    >>tabs before clicking tools, options, etc. when you get to general, you
    >>can just click the first button. i'm sorry if i misunderstood you.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    >>http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    > No I wasnt trying to change my homepage, it was changed for me. When I check
    > under internet options it is still the same, but when I open my browser it
    > takes me to that Mozilla page. As far as profiles go, I dont know anything
    > about that.

    Try creating a new profile. In the Start >> RUN box type: "firefox
    --profilemanager" (without the quotes). Then the Profile Manager will
    start. Create a new profile. Name it whatever you want. Try using
    Firefox with this new profile. See if you have the same problems. If
    you want to switch back to your old profile, run the profile manager
    again... but select your old profile.

    --
    Brian

    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email

    .brian., Sep 19, 2004
  11. Leroy Forrester

    WolfGang Guest

    Leroy,
    It sounds like you may have the problem similar to the one I have been
    having--except you didn't say whether Firefox still works or not as a
    Browzer.. When mine went to the Mozilla.org site as a change in homepage, it
    also lost the ability to open any webpages, including the Mozilla.org. All
    it will do is come up with the error: Alert: could not find (URL)...

    I thought I had ininstalled and deleted Mozilla from my PC. Come to find out
    just now that in Tracker3 (A Windows Explorer-type application) I found the
    Firefox was still in C;\Program Files and that the Name & Location box says
    "backdoor.hackarmy.gen". That is a worm--I've had it before. So you may be
    looking at something similar to that.

    So now I need to get rid of the worm and start over with Firefox I have two
    questions for somebody: Wouldn't uninstalling firefox and deleting the .zip
    file delete the Profile also?
    I have XP--what is the best version of Firefox for me?
    Thanks, Wolfgang

    WolfGang, Sep 20, 2004
  12. On 9/20/2004 9:34 AM WolfGang wrote:
    > Leroy,
    > It sounds like you may have the problem similar to the one I have been
    > having--except you didn't say whether Firefox still works or not as a
    > Browzer.. When mine went to the Mozilla.org site as a change in homepage, it
    > also lost the ability to open any webpages, including the Mozilla.org. All
    > it will do is come up with the error: Alert: could not find (URL)...

    Actually, it looks like he should try creating a new profile.

    > I thought I had ininstalled and deleted Mozilla from my PC. Come to find out
    > just now that in Tracker3 (A Windows Explorer-type application) I found the
    > Firefox was still in C;\Program Files and that the Name & Location box says
    > "backdoor.hackarmy.gen". That is a worm--I've had it before. So you may be
    > looking at something similar to that.

    You should consider reporting the above information to one of the major
    virus companies... because the type of activity you described isn't
    listed anywhere (messing with the Firefox folder). Perhaps you have a
    new variant.

    > So now I need to get rid of the worm and start over with Firefox I have two
    > questions for somebody: Wouldn't uninstalling firefox and deleting the .zip
    > file delete the Profile also?

    No.

    > I have XP--what is the best version of Firefox for me?

    The latest version.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=2Ebr=EFan=2E=22?=, Sep 20, 2004
  13. ".brïan." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On 9/20/2004 9:34 AM WolfGang wrote:
    > > Leroy,
    > > It sounds like you may have the problem similar to the one I have been
    > > having--except you didn't say whether Firefox still works or not as a
    > > Browzer.. When mine went to the Mozilla.org site as a change in

    homepage, it
    > > also lost the ability to open any webpages, including the Mozilla.org.

    All
    > > it will do is come up with the error: Alert: could not find (URL)...

    > Actually, it looks like he should try creating a new profile.
    >
    > > I thought I had ininstalled and deleted Mozilla from my PC. Come to find

    out
    > > just now that in Tracker3 (A Windows Explorer-type application) I found

    the
    > > Firefox was still in C;\Program Files and that the Name & Location box

    says
    > > "backdoor.hackarmy.gen". That is a worm--I've had it before. So you may

    be
    > > looking at something similar to that.

    > You should consider reporting the above information to one of the major
    > virus companies... because the type of activity you described isn't
    > listed anywhere (messing with the Firefox folder). Perhaps you have a
    > new variant.
    >
    > > So now I need to get rid of the worm and start over with Firefox I have

    two
    > > questions for somebody: Wouldn't uninstalling firefox and deleting the

    ..zip
    > > file delete the Profile also?

    > No.
    >
    > > I have XP--what is the best version of Firefox for me?

    > The latest version.

    This is driving me nuts. I deleted everything Mozilla related from my comp,
    downloaded Firefox (again), ran the set-up and STILL all I get is THIS
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . If you look on this page there is
    no option for setting up a profile. In internet options I have yahoo.com set
    as my homepage but when I open my browser I get
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . When I first started using
    Firefox a couple of months ago the set-up was easy as hell. Now it is just
    hell. I sure dont want to continue using IE, but for now it seems I am stuck
    with it.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 22, 2004
  14. Leroy Forrester wrote:

    > ".brïan." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >
    >>On 9/20/2004 9:34 AM WolfGang wrote:
    >>
    >>>Leroy,
    >>>It sounds like you may have the problem similar to the one I have been
    >>>having--except you didn't say whether Firefox still works or not as a
    >>>Browzer.. When mine went to the Mozilla.org site as a change in

    > homepage, it
    >
    >>>also lost the ability to open any webpages, including the Mozilla.org.

    > All
    >
    >>>it will do is come up with the error: Alert: could not find (URL)...

    >>Actually, it looks like he should try creating a new profile.
    >>

    >>>I thought I had ininstalled and deleted Mozilla from my PC. Come to find

    > out
    >
    >>>just now that in Tracker3 (A Windows Explorer-type application) I found

    > the
    >
    >>>Firefox was still in C;\Program Files and that the Name & Location box

    > says
    >
    >>>"backdoor.hackarmy.gen". That is a worm--I've had it before. So you may

    > be
    >
    >>>looking at something similar to that.

    >>You should consider reporting the above information to one of the major
    >>virus companies... because the type of activity you described isn't
    >>listed anywhere (messing with the Firefox folder). Perhaps you have a
    >>new variant.
    >>

    >>>So now I need to get rid of the worm and start over with Firefox I have

    > two
    >
    >>>questions for somebody: Wouldn't uninstalling firefox and deleting the

    > .zip
    >
    >>>file delete the Profile also?

    >>No.
    >>

    >>>I have XP--what is the best version of Firefox for me?

    >>The latest version.

    > This is driving me nuts. I deleted everything Mozilla related from my comp,
    > downloaded Firefox (again), ran the set-up and STILL all I get is THIS
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . If you look on this page there is
    > no option for setting up a profile. In internet options I have yahoo.com set
    > as my homepage but when I open my browser I get
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . When I first started using
    > Firefox a couple of months ago the set-up was easy as hell. Now it is just
    > hell. I sure dont want to continue using IE, but for now it seems I am stuck
    > with it.

    I don't know if this will work, but in the address bar type in
    about:config. Look for an entry called:

    startup.homepage_override_url

    double click on that and make your changes.

    Andreas

    Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 22, 2004
  15. "Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum " <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Leroy Forrester wrote:
    >
    > > ".brïan." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > > homepage, it

    > > All

    > >>Actually, it looks like he should try creating a new profile.

    find

    > > out

    > > the

    > > says

    > > be

    > >>You should consider reporting the above information to one of the major
    > >>virus companies... because the type of activity you described isn't
    > >>listed anywhere (messing with the Firefox folder). Perhaps you have a
    > >>new variant.

    have

    > > two

    > > .zip

    > >>No.

    > >>The latest version.

    > > This is driving me nuts. I deleted everything Mozilla related from my

    comp,
    > > downloaded Firefox (again), ran the set-up and STILL all I get is THIS
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . If you look on this page

    there is
    > > no option for setting up a profile. In internet options I have yahoo.com

    set
    > > as my homepage but when I open my browser I get
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . When I first started using
    > > Firefox a couple of months ago the set-up was easy as hell. Now it is

    just
    > > hell. I sure dont want to continue using IE, but for now it seems I am

    stuck
    > > with it.
    > >

    > I don't know if this will work, but in the address bar type in
    > about:config. Look for an entry called:
    >
    > startup.homepage_override_url
    >
    > double click on that and make your changes.
    >
    > Andreas

    I did as you said and did not see that entry. I also did as Reg said in
    another thread and used jv16PowerTool to remove all releated registry
    entries and did a fresh download of Firefox. Still all I get is

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 22, 2004
  16. Leroy Forrester

    Moz Champion Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:

    > "Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum " <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>Leroy Forrester wrote:
    >>

    >>>".brïan." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    >>>homepage, it

    >>>All

    > find
    >
    >>>out

    >>>the

    >>>says

    >>>be

    > have
    >
    >>>two

    >>>.zip

    >>>This is driving me nuts. I deleted everything Mozilla related from my

    > comp,
    >
    >>>downloaded Firefox (again), ran the set-up and STILL all I get is THIS
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . If you look on this page

    > there is
    >
    >>>no option for setting up a profile. In internet options I have yahoo.com

    > set
    >
    >>>as my homepage but when I open my browser I get
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . When I first started using
    >>>Firefox a couple of months ago the set-up was easy as hell. Now it is

    > just
    >
    >>>hell. I sure dont want to continue using IE, but for now it seems I am

    > stuck
    >
    >>>with it.
    >>>

    >>I don't know if this will work, but in the address bar type in
    >>about:config. Look for an entry called:
    >>
    >> startup.homepage_override_url
    >>
    >>double click on that and make your changes.
    >>
    >>Andreas

    > I did as you said and did not see that entry. I also did as Reg said in
    > another thread and used jv16PowerTool to remove all releated registry
    > entries and did a fresh download of Firefox. Still all I get is
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    Did you change the home page location in

    Firefox-->Preferenceces-->General

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 23, 2004
  17. "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Did you change the home page location in
    >
    > Firefox-->Preferenceces-->General
    >

    > --
    > Mozilla Champion
    > UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    > Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    > Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/

    Never could get that far. I've decided it must be a worm or virus and will
    approach the problem from that angle.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 23, 2004
  18. Leroy Forrester

    Steve Block Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:
    > "Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum " <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>Leroy Forrester wrote:
    >>

    >>>".brïan." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    >>>homepage, it

    >>>All

    > find
    >
    >>>out

    >>>the

    >>>says

    >>>be

    > have
    >
    >>>two

    >>>.zip

    >>>This is driving me nuts. I deleted everything Mozilla related from my

    > comp,
    >
    >>>downloaded Firefox (again), ran the set-up and STILL all I get is THIS
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . If you look on this page

    > there is
    >
    >>>no option for setting up a profile. In internet options I have yahoo.com

    > set
    >
    >>>as my homepage but when I open my browser I get
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . When I first started using
    >>>Firefox a couple of months ago the set-up was easy as hell. Now it is

    > just
    >
    >>>hell. I sure dont want to continue using IE, but for now it seems I am

    > stuck
    >
    >>>with it.
    >>>

    >>I don't know if this will work, but in the address bar type in
    >>about:config. Look for an entry called:
    >>
    >> startup.homepage_override_url
    >>
    >>double click on that and make your changes.
    >>
    >>Andreas

    > I did as you said and did not see that entry. I also did as Reg said in
    > another thread and used jv16PowerTool to remove all releated registry
    > entries and did a fresh download of Firefox. Still all I get is
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    Okay, you could try this. I looked through about:config and I've got
    browser.startup.homepage user set string http://uk.my.yahoo.com/
    browser.startup.homepage_override.1 default boolean false
    browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone user set string rv:1.7.3
    browser.startup.page default integer 1

    I don't know what the last two mean, but what do yours say, and if
    different, try changing them to my values maybe? I'm using FF PR1.0

    Steve Block, Sep 23, 2004
  19. Leroy Forrester

    Moz Champion Guest

    Leroy Forrester wrote:

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you change the home page location in
    >>
    >>Firefox-->Preferenceces-->General
    >>

    >>--
    >>Mozilla Champion
    >>UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    >>Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >>Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/

    > Never could get that far. I've decided it must be a worm or virus and will
    > approach the problem from that angle.

    Never got that far?
    Thats the FIRST thing you should do!
    Regardless of a virus or trojan, if you have told the program to take
    you to that page in preferences, it will!

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Sep 24, 2004