WTF MS: FIX OE SPELLCHECK - email spellcheck error Outlook 2000 & Outlook Express only in XP64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Goody2shoe, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Goody2shoe

    Goody2shoe Guest

    I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
    solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
    Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
    about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.

    There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most widely
    used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can you RTM
    without email spellcheck?!!!

    I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this essential
    business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am. You can't
    give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we couldn't get
    it to work so we're dropping that feature."
    www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/64bit/cifx64.mspx
    Spell Checking - Detailed description
    Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
    What works differently?
    Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you try to
    check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking Spelling
    on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.
    Goody2shoe, Jul 10, 2005

  2. "Goody2shoe" <> wrote in:

    > I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
    > solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
    > Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
    > about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.
    >
    > There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most
    > widely used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can
    > you RTM without email spellcheck?!!!

    Windows has never spell checked. Outlook Express has always depended on a
    spell checker being installed in addition to Windows, that's still true.

    OE will spell check just fine when a 64 bit version of Office is released
    and you install it. Until then, there are other alternatives, read
    earlier posts in this group to find them or just Google for OE spell
    checkers or something similar.

    > I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this
    > essential business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually
    > am.

    I used to be over 50, wish I still was! I can't spell either and rely
    heavily on spell checkers but since I don't use OE or Outlook, my solutions
    are necessarily different.

    > You can't give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh
    > we couldn't get it to work so we're dropping that feature."

    They're not dropping the feature, it never existed unless Microsoft Office
    was installed. As soon as you install the 64 bit version of Office spell
    checking will work again. I really wouldn't wait, I'd go find another
    application that will spell check for you.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 10, 2005

  3. You can work around this if you have access to XP Pro 32 bit. Just copy the
    files from Outlook Express into a directory you create on your XP Pro x64
    drive. NOTE: You cannot use \Program Files\Outlook Express or \Program Files
    (x86)\Outlook Express. And for correctness, I would recommend \Program Files
    (x86)\32 Bit Outlook Express :) Then create a shortcut to the file
    msimn.exe on your desktop. Spell check works again.
    Also, I should warn you that this is NOT supported, and some have reported
    problems doing this. I on the other hand, have had no problems using the
    setup I described above. Also, you must have at least one major component of
    Office 2002 or Office 2003 installed, such as Word, Access, Excel, etc...
    for spellcheck to function in OE.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  4. Goody2shoe

    mikey Guest

    use the 32 bit version of OE instead of the default 64 bit version, the spell check will work then.,
    once you install a 64 bit Office type product the spell chec with the 64 bit OE will work.

    mikey, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Goody2shoe

    Mike Guest

    If you need to have a componet of Office 2002 or 2003 why not just use
    Outlook as an email client. The spellchecker in Outlook 2003 works just
    fine. I don't know about Outlook 2002

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 11, 2005
  6. The grammar and spell checker has not improved that much since the last few
    releases of Office.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  7. If you're not still over 50 tell us your secret!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005
  8. "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in:

    > If you're not still over 50 tell us your secret!

    I went back to 35 and started up again. I just had my second 35th birthday.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  9. there is no 32-bit version of OE in x64 Edition. Yes, we all know there are
    what appear to be 32-bit files on there, but they are, in fact, 64-bit. The
    32-bit version acts only as a loader for the 64-bit. :(

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Goody2shoe

    mikey Guest

    guess you have not bothered to look.
    the link is not provided automatically.
    under Program Files (x86) and in the OutlookExpress folder. right click and select send shortcut to desktop.

    mikey, Jul 11, 2005
  11. As has been discussed here, repeatedly, that is not a 32-bit version of OE,
    but only a 32-bit loader for the 64-bit version of OE. According to the MS
    folks who have been here on the newsgroup since the day x64 Editions shipped.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  12. So basically, the 32-bit programme carries the 64-bit across the bridge?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  13. Which means you are orginally 70?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  14. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:

    > Which means you are orginally 70?

    No, it means I'm 21 plus a few months, about 589 months but who's counting?

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Hello Andre,
    Please do not do this. This is bad. This will be very destablizing for
    Outlook Express. It will be prone to faults and crashs.
    Having both 32-bit OE and 64-bit OE running at the same time can and will
    cause OE to crash, shutting down all open sessions.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Subject: Re: WTF MS: FIX OE SPELLCHECK - email spellcheck error Outlook
    2000 & Outlook Express only in XP64
    <Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:07:19 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Andre
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <
    <
[...]
    <> ...
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 11, 2005
  16. Hello
    Charlie is correct. The 32-bit Outlook Express exe msimn.exe simply is
    used to call and start 64-bit Outlook Express.
    There are problems with running 32-bit OE and 64-bit OE on the same system
    so virutally all 32-bit OE entry points were removed.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    2000 & Outlook Express only in XP64
    <Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:16:31 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <======================
    <mikey wrote:
    <> guess you have not bothered to look.
    <> the link is not provided automatically.
    <> under Program Files (x86) and in the OutlookExpress folder. right
    <> click and select send shortcut to desktop.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    <> message news:...
    <> there is no 32-bit version of OE in x64 Edition. Yes, we all know
    <> there are
    <> what appear to be 32-bit files on there, but they are, in fact,
    <> 64-bit. The
    <> 32-bit version acts only as a loader for the 64-bit. :(
    <>
    <> --
    <> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    <> ======================
    <> mikey wrote:
    <> > use the 32 bit version of OE instead of the default 64 bit
    <> version,
    <> > the spell check will work then.,
    <> > once you install a 64 bit Office type product the spell chec with
    <> the
    <> > 64 bit OE will work.
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
[...]
    <> > ...
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 11, 2005
  17. I suspect it's legacy from early in the beta, but I'm just guessing. You'll
    end up in exactly the same place whether you click on the 32-bit OE or the
    64-bit version.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  18. OE has enough trouble with its database without doing this!

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  19. Why didn't they just write it from scratch?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 11, 2005
  20. Goody2shoe

    mikey Guest

    but you have still failed to address that the spell checker appears to work when using this "32" bit version.

    mikey, Jul 11, 2005