WTF? Modem will not fit in computer!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., May 5, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home and
    have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem as
    a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via
    my computer.

    But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available slots,
    the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8" away
    from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
    install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go one
    way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
    into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!

    What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a dial-up
    modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
    Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.

    And when I went to the manufacturer's website:

    http://www.newcominc.com

    it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    City in November 1998, on black Saturday.

    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Julie P., May 5, 2005

  2. Julie P. wrote:
    > This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    > open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    > Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home and
    > have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem as
    > a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via
    > my computer.
    >
    > But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available slots,
    > the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8" away
    > from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
    > install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go one
    > way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
    > into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
    >
    > What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a dial-up
    > modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
    > Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >
    > And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >
    > http://www.newcominc.com
    >
    > it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    > City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot. The
    ISA standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a new PCI
    modem, you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your case, I'd
    probably wait until it's needed.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    FML Guest

    Julie P. spewed forth...

    > This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the
    > case open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal
    > modem from Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use
    > Windows XP Home and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a
    > regular dial-up modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100
    > NIC card), and so I can fax via my computer.
    >
    > But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    > slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all
    > about 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And
    > yes, I was trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or
    > upside down. It can only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the
    > metallic modem part that would slide into the slots on the mobo is
    > about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
    >
    > What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    > dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone
    > said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >
    > And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >
    > http://www.newcominc.com
    >
    > it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from
    > Circuit City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    You wouldn't be trying to install an ISA card in a PCI slot would you?
    FML, May 5, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    >> open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    >> Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
    >> and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up
    >> modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I
    >> can fax via my computer.
    >>
    >> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    >> slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about
    >> 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was
    >> trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It
    >> can only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part
    >> that would slide into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the
    >> slots on the mobo!!!
    >>
    >> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    >> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone
    >> said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >>
    >> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >>
    >> http://www.newcominc.com
    >>
    >> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    >> City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>

    > Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot. The ISA
    > standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a new PCI modem,
    > you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your case, I'd probably
    > wait until it's needed.

    Crap! Oh well, you learn something new everyday.

    Thanks Roger and FML! I still want to install a modem so I can fax directly
    from my computer though with a program like HotFax or WinFaxPro.

    At least I got the RAM in ok. It was a pain to install until I realized you
    have to push down very firmly and press the side snaps in a little hard to
    get the sticks to lock in. :)

    Julie
    Julie P., May 5, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:02:35 -0400, "Julie P." <> wrote:

    >This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    >open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    >Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home and
    >have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem as
    >a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via
    >my computer.
    >
    >But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available slots,
    >the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8" away
    >from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
    >install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go one
    >way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
    >into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
    >
    >What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a dial-up
    >modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
    >Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >
    >And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >
    >http://www.newcominc.com
    >
    >it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    >City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    If your modem looks like this, it won't fit.
    http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/isamodem.jpg

    You need a PCI modem.
    http://www.mycompustore.com/images/3CP5610B.jpg

    Here's one for $3.99
    http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=3483
    Unk, May 5, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:02:35 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    >>open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    >>Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
    >>and
    >>have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem
    >>as
    >>a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax
    >>via
    >>my computer.
    >>
    >>But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    >>slots,
    >>the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8"
    >>away
    >>from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
    >>install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go
    >>one
    >>way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
    >>into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the
    >>mobo!!!
    >>
    >>What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    >>dial-up
    >>modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
    >>Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >>
    >>And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >>
    >>http://www.newcominc.com
    >>
    >>it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    >>City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>

    > If your modem looks like this, it won't fit.
    > http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/isamodem.jpg
    >
    > You need a PCI modem.
    > http://www.mycompustore.com/images/3CP5610B.jpg
    >
    > Here's one for $3.99
    > http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=3483

    Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
    price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
    inventory first.
    Julie P., May 5, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:50:56 -0400, "Julie P." <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:02:35 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    >>>open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    >>>Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
    >>>and
    >>>have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem
    >>>as
    >>>a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax
    >>>via
    >>>my computer.
    >>>
    >>>But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    >>>slots,
    >>>the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8"
    >>>away
    >>>from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
    >>>install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go
    >>>one
    >>>way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
    >>>into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the
    >>>mobo!!!
    >>>
    >>>What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    >>>dial-up
    >>>modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
    >>>Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >>>
    >>>And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.newcominc.com
    >>>
    >>>it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    >>>City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>>

    >> If your modem looks like this, it won't fit.
    >> http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/isamodem.jpg
    >>
    >> You need a PCI modem.
    >> http://www.mycompustore.com/images/3CP5610B.jpg
    >>
    >> Here's one for $3.99
    >> http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=3483
    >>

    >Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
    >price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
    >inventory first.

    You're welcome.
    The shipping is probable twice the cost of that modem. :)
    Unk, May 5, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Guest Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the
    >>> case open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal
    >>> modem from Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use
    >>> Windows XP Home and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have
    >>> a regular dial-up modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a
    >>> 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via my computer.
    >>>
    >>> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four
    >>> available slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would
    >>> go are all about 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once
    >>> installed!! And yes, I was trying to install it the correct way, not
    >>> backwards or upside down. It can only go one way. Plus, to make
    >>> matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide into the
    >>> slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
    >>>
    >>> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    >>> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago,
    >>> everyone said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with
    >>> XP.
    >>>
    >>> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.newcominc.com
    >>>
    >>> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from
    >>> Circuit City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot.
    >> The ISA standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a
    >> new PCI modem, you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your
    >> case, I'd probably wait until it's needed.

    > Crap! Oh well, you learn something new everyday.
    >
    > Thanks Roger and FML! I still want to install a modem so I can fax
    > directly from my computer though with a program like HotFax or
    > WinFaxPro.
    >
    > At least I got the RAM in ok. It was a pain to install until I
    > realized you have to push down very firmly and press the side snaps in
    > a little hard to get the sticks to lock in. :)

    Hopefully you didn't short something out. The "pins" (foil pads) that
    slide into the slot for ISA are much fatter than the ones for PCI, plus
    the PCI has 2 different rows of pads. Sliding in an ISA (actually I
    thought PCI was keyed to prevent this but maybe not) into a PCI slot
    means the wider pads could touch more than one mating pin in the
    connector and short them together.

    If you are only interested in receiving faxes, you can open an eFax
    account for free. That gives you a fax number (usually non-local) to
    which senders can fax you. It then gets sent to you as an e-mail. If
    you really need to send faxes, you could also do that online. However,
    to send faxes usually means having to pay for it. There is
    http://www.tpc.int/ which is basically a bunch of folks that run fax
    servers all over the globe. You send your fax to them online (no analog
    fax modem is required since you are using the Internet) and their fax
    machine sends it out for you. The freebie fax service is obviously not
    as reliable as the paid service, and you won't get any support with the
    freebie fax service (other than maybe user groups).

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
    Guest, May 5, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    PC Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    > open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    > Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
    > and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up
    > modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I
    > can fax via my computer.
    >
    > But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    > slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about
    > 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was
    > trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can
    > only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that
    > would slide into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots
    > on the mobo!!!
    >
    > What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    > dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said
    > my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >
    > And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >
    > http://www.newcominc.com
    >
    > it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    > City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    Julie

    Offered with the greatest respect:

    Buy/borrow/obtain a copy of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller
    and read it from cover to cover.

    It's not cheap, it's big, heavy and probably boring, but once read you'll be
    on top of what can and can't fit in a PC, and why.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, May 5, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    old jon Guest

    Sounds a bit like an old ISA modem, they don`t fit in PCI slots..J

    old jon, May 5, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Guest

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 00:33:53 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    |>Julie
    |>
    |>Offered with the greatest respect:

    |>Buy/borrow/obtain a copy of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller
    |>and read it from cover to cover.

    A very good book, covers everything; I second PC's suggestion.

    |>It's not cheap, it's big, heavy and probably boring, but once read you'll be
    |>on top of what can and can't fit in a PC, and why.

    Local libraries usually carry it.

    --
    , May 5, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    elaich Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in news:rdKdnR5Oy4SvO-TfRVn-
    :

    > Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
    > price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
    > inventory first.

    Put that ISA modem on ebay. They are rare and in demand for those who want
    to run Linux.

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"
    elaich, May 5, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in news:rdKdnR5Oy4SvO-TfRVn-
    > :
    >
    >> Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
    >> price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
    >> inventory first.

    > Put that ISA modem on ebay. They are rare and in demand for those who want
    > to run Linux.

    Thanks for the tip! After doing a completed items search, it appears they
    are selling for as much as $14.95 on eBay! Although I can;t technically list
    it as a Linux modem since the packaging only says Windows 95. :(
    Julie P., May 5, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    <Vanguard> wrote in message news:...
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot. The
    >>> ISA standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a new PCI
    >>> modem, you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your case, I'd
    >>> probably wait until it's needed.

    >> Crap! Oh well, you learn something new everyday.
    >>
    >> Thanks Roger and FML! I still want to install a modem so I can fax
    >> directly from my computer though with a program like HotFax or WinFaxPro.
    >>
    >> At least I got the RAM in ok. It was a pain to install until I realized
    >> you have to push down very firmly and press the side snaps in a little
    >> hard to get the sticks to lock in. :)

    > Hopefully you didn't short something out. The "pins" (foil pads) that
    > slide into the slot for ISA are much fatter than the ones for PCI, plus
    > the PCI has 2 different rows of pads. Sliding in an ISA (actually I
    > thought PCI was keyed to prevent this but maybe not) into a PCI slot means
    > the wider pads could touch more than one mating pin in the connector and
    > short them together.

    Oooh. Thanks for the warning. I did read both the Dell owner's manual and
    the modem installation guide, and neither one warned me of this possibility!

    > If you are only interested in receiving faxes, you can open an eFax
    > account for free. That gives you a fax number (usually non-local) to
    > which senders can fax you. It then gets sent to you as an e-mail.

    Thanks. I do actually have an eFax account, but the last time someone tried
    to send me a fax, I never got it.

    If
    > you really need to send faxes, you could also do that online. However, to
    > send faxes usually means having to pay for it. There is
    > http://www.tpc.int/ which is basically a bunch of folks that run fax
    > servers all over the globe. You send your fax to them online (no analog
    > fax modem is required since you are using the Internet) and their fax
    > machine sends it out for you. The freebie fax service is obviously not as
    > reliable as the paid service, and you won't get any support with the
    > freebie fax service (other than maybe user groups).

    Thanks for that link! I will check that site out, just to have in case of an
    emergency. I also do have a fax machine too, which I can use, but it got
    horrible reviews (Sharp UX-300). One reviewer even said it almost caused
    fire in his house.
    Julie P., May 5, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
    >> open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
    >> Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
    >> and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up
    >> modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I
    >> can fax via my computer.
    >>
    >> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    >> slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about
    >> 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was
    >> trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It
    >> can only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part
    >> that would slide into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the
    >> slots on the mobo!!!
    >>
    >> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    >> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone
    >> said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >>
    >> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >>
    >> http://www.newcominc.com
    >>
    >> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    >> City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>

    > Julie
    >
    > Offered with the greatest respect:
    >
    > Buy/borrow/obtain a copy of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller
    > and read it from cover to cover.

    Ok. thanks! I do admit it's pretty exciting being able to upgrade your PC by
    yourself. And components are so cheap nowadays, that it's very tempting to
    buy new drives, cards, etc. and expand your computer's power. MicroCenter is
    even selling fans for $7.99 this month. Maybe I will buy a few just do have
    for an emergency. And maybe a power supply too.

    My next goal is to find a DVD+/-RW drive that also writes CD-RW's and
    install that (not sure if all DVD drives do that). Which means I will have
    to pull out an existing drive to make room for it. Also I am looking for a
    cheap floppy disk drive. And a wireless network card. Although the sales rep
    at MicroCenter said I could use my existing non-wireless NIC card with my
    wireless router, since he told me all wireless routers are backwards
    compatible in case you want to have a wired network instead.
    Julie P., May 5, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Fred Kasner Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in news:rdKdnR5Oy4SvO-TfRVn-
    > :
    >

    >>Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
    >>price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
    >>inventory first.

    > Put that ISA modem on ebay. They are rare and in demand for those who want
    > to run Linux.

    Huh? This reply is being written on a linux box and the connection to
    the internet is via an ADSL line (with a router servering three
    computers intemediate to the ADSL switch.) And the connection to a phone
    line directly via modem is a built in modem coard for sending faxes.
    FK
    Fred Kasner, May 5, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Guest

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:48:22 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    wrote:

    |>"elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    |>> "Julie P." <> wrote in news:rdKdnR5Oy4SvO-TfRVn-
    |>> :

    |>> Put that ISA modem on ebay. They are rare and in demand for those who want
    |>> to run Linux.

    |>Thanks for the tip! After doing a completed items search, it appears they
    |>are selling for as much as $14.95 on eBay! Although I can;t technically list
    |>it as a Linux modem since the packaging only says Windows 95. :(

    A modem is a modem, almost all follow the Hayes protocol, the only
    exception to this is a WinModem; a search for your modem doesn't
    indicate that it is.

    It should work in anything.... that it fits :)

    --
    , May 5, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:48:22 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    > wrote:

    > great
    > my

    > want
    >
    > |>Thanks for the tip! After doing a completed items search, it appears
    > they
    > |>are selling for as much as $14.95 on eBay! Although I can;t technically
    > list
    > |>it as a Linux modem since the packaging only says Windows 95. :(
    >
    > A modem is a modem, almost all follow the Hayes protocol, the only
    > exception to this is a WinModem; a search for your modem doesn't
    > indicate that it is.
    >
    > It should work in anything.... that it fits :)

    Thanks for checking Pennywise!

    J.
    Julie P., May 5, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Parko Guest

    elaich wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > Put that ISA modem on ebay. They are rare and in demand for those who want
    > to run Linux.

    On dial up???? Only if you live beyond the black stump!
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, May 5, 2005
  20. Julie P.

    PC Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the
    >>> case open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem
    >>> from Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP
    >>> Home and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular
    >>> dial-up modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card),
    >>> and so I can fax via my computer.
    >>>
    >>> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
    >>> slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all
    >>> about 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And
    >>> yes, I was trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or upside
    >>> down. It can only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic
    >>> modem part that would slide into the slots on the mobo is about 2"
    >>> longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
    >>>
    >>> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
    >>> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone
    >>> said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
    >>>
    >>> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.newcominc.com
    >>>
    >>> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
    >>> City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Julie
    >>
    >> Offered with the greatest respect:
    >>
    >> Buy/borrow/obtain a copy of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott
    >> Mueller and read it from cover to cover.
    >>

    > Ok. thanks! I do admit it's pretty exciting being able to upgrade your PC
    > by yourself. And components are so cheap nowadays, that it's very tempting
    > to buy new drives, cards, etc. and expand your computer's power.
    > MicroCenter is even selling fans for $7.99 this month. Maybe I will buy a
    > few just do have for an emergency. And maybe a power supply too.
    >
    > My next goal is to find a DVD+/-RW drive that also writes CD-RW's and
    > install that (not sure if all DVD drives do that). Which means I will have
    > to pull out an existing drive to make room for it. Also I am looking for a
    > cheap floppy disk drive. And a wireless network card. Although the sales
    > rep at MicroCenter said I could use my existing non-wireless NIC card with
    > my wireless router, since he told me all wireless routers are backwards
    > compatible in case you want to have a wired network instead.

    Julie

    <quote>
    the sales rep at MicroCenter said
    </quote>
    Sigh; sales reps only have one purpose in life, to separate you from your
    money. The worst are the ones that know enough to be dangerous. Do your
    research first.

    Don't get to much 'spare' stuff, computer gear is as perishable as the
    cabbage at your green grocer. Yes spare CD/DVD blanks, a 2nd PC for
    emergencies, but wholesale 'spares' are dead money. The improvement in
    capacity of PC gear is still fairly large year on year. For example 2 years
    ago one buy's a 20GB HD for 'emergencies' cost (NZ) $180, today I can go buy
    a 80GB drive retail for less than $100. The 20GB is now worth about $50 even
    though it's brand new. So If I'd left the $180 in the bank, got some
    interest, I'd have nearly $200.
    Lets assume the 2 year old 20GB in my PC now starts to show 'Smart' errors,
    OK off to PC Parts supplies / MicroCenter (whoever) spend $100 for a HD 4
    times the size of the original, and I have an extra $100 in the bank.
    Makes sense to me.

    DVD drives; most if not all DVD drives will write / read CD/CDR/CDRW. If you
    want a DVD drive that covers all standards look at the LG GSA-4163B. It will
    burn/read CD/CDR/CDRW/DVD+/-R/DVD+/-RW/DVD+R/RW Dual layer and DVD Ram.
    According to Nero Info it doesn't do CD+G or Mt Rainier and of course DVD -R
    dual layer is not yet generally available.
    Got one here and find it works fine.

    cheers
    Paul.
    PC, May 5, 2005