    I've tried different routers, swapping cables, running tests, etc. My
    gear and connection seems fine, at least as far as WxC. Then it turns to
    shit.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 6, 2008

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Peter Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > I can't get webpages to finish loading. Sometimes sites as common as
    > YouTube won't load at all for a while. IRC and IM connections drop out
    > like crazy. File transfer is a joke - I've given up on ever being able
    > to receive the 1GB file I'm trying to sync across the 'net to my local
    > Mac (webdav).

    On xnet here, and haven't noticed any problems.

    Peter, Oct 6, 2008

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > I can't get webpages to finish loading. Sometimes sites as common as
    > YouTube won't load at all for a while. IRC and IM connections drop out
    > like crazy. File transfer is a joke - I've given up on ever being able
    > to receive the 1GB file I'm trying to sync across the 'net to my local
    > Mac (webdav).
    >
    > WTF is going on? Anyone know? I spent an hour on hold trying to call
    > WorldxChange last night and couldn't get through to anyone :-(
    >
    > I'm so fucking sick of this shit. I pay them for the best possible
    > connection and all I get is shit.
    >
    > I've tried different routers, swapping cables, running tests, etc. My
    > gear and connection seems fine, at least as far as WxC. Then it turns to
    > shit.

    Read the threads in the Geekzone Xnet forums - you're not alone in your
    problems. Most worrying is the deafening silence on the issue from the
    Xnet management - it's making me wonder whether they have a viable
    future as an ISP. I'll probably stick with them for the next couple of
    months but if things haven't been sorted out by then I'll be looking for
    a new ISP (and once I find one I'll take the dozen or so people who
    followed me to Xnet with me).

    EMB, Oct 6, 2008
  4. EMB <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > I can't get webpages to finish loading. Sometimes sites as common as
    > > YouTube won't load at all for a while. IRC and IM connections drop out
    > > like crazy. File transfer is a joke - I've given up on ever being able
    > > to receive the 1GB file I'm trying to sync across the 'net to my local
    > > Mac (webdav).
    > >
    > > WTF is going on? Anyone know? I spent an hour on hold trying to call
    > > WorldxChange last night and couldn't get through to anyone :-(
    > >
    > > I'm so fucking sick of this shit. I pay them for the best possible
    > > connection and all I get is shit.
    > >
    > > I've tried different routers, swapping cables, running tests, etc. My
    > > gear and connection seems fine, at least as far as WxC. Then it turns to
    > > shit.

    > Read the threads in the Geekzone Xnet forums - you're not alone in your
    > problems. Most worrying is the deafening silence on the issue from the
    > Xnet management - it's making me wonder whether they have a viable
    > future as an ISP. I'll probably stick with them for the next couple of
    > months but if things haven't been sorted out by then I'll be looking for
    > a new ISP (and once I find one I'll take the dozen or so people who
    > followed me to Xnet with me).

    Hell, I wasn't even been able to get their own VoIP running and still
    have bandwidth management (based on IP and ports) running - which is
    absolutely essential to me as I run BitTorrent, various online games,
    IMAP email and a bunch of other services at once.

    I ended up buying the full Skype package which works better anyway, even
    if I am limited to an Auckland 09 number (I live in Tauranga). I
    considered changing back to Telecom for my phone, but Xnet said I'd have
    to live without 'net or a landline for a WEEK while I was switched over
    from naked DSL back to the old setup.

    Well I said sod you guys of course and only stuck with them for
    internet. Best thing I could have done, really. I've saving heaps of
    money using Skype exclusively :)

    Pity there 'net access now seems to suck so badly :-(

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 6, 2008
  5. Peter <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > I can't get webpages to finish loading. Sometimes sites as common as
    > > YouTube won't load at all for a while. IRC and IM connections drop out
    > > like crazy. File transfer is a joke - I've given up on ever being able
    > > to receive the 1GB file I'm trying to sync across the 'net to my local
    > > Mac (webdav).

    > On xnet here, and haven't noticed any problems.

    *envy*

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 6, 2008
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I'm really pleased that your advice (to me) to use Xnet came just after I'd
    > signed up with Actrix. Actrix have been essentially trouble-free and very
    > transparent when there has been the odd minor glitch.

    They have been bloody good until recently, and are still better than
    ihug were before I bailed to Xnet. I think the problems are likely to
    be resolved shortly. At a guess Xnet will raise their data prices
    enough to make the high-usage clients move elsewhere at which stage good
    international connectivity will return. Right now I'm not overly
    worried about really fast international connectivity as I have access to
    a 10Mb/s connection (that runs full speed outside working hours) where I
    am working.

    EMB, Oct 7, 2008
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I know it's OT for this group but, while I've got you (so to speak) what do
    > you recommend for 'killing' rust in a car? I have an area I want to
    > wire-brush, treat then paint over to try to slow down or stop it spreading.

    Jenolite. Availaale from Repco last time I needed some. It's basically
    phosphoric acid - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Rust_removal

    IIRC the stuff cockies use to clean milk lines out is phosphoric acid
    too - might be worth a look at a farm supply place if all else fails.

    Followups set to nz.rec

    EMB, Oct 7, 2008
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > EMB <> wrote:
    >
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > > I can't get webpages to finish loading. Sometimes sites as common as
    > > > YouTube won't load at all for a while. IRC and IM connections drop out
    > > > like crazy. File transfer is a joke - I've given up on ever being able
    > > > to receive the 1GB file I'm trying to sync across the 'net to my local
    > > > Mac (webdav).
    > > >
    > > > WTF is going on? Anyone know? I spent an hour on hold trying to call
    > > > WorldxChange last night and couldn't get through to anyone :-(
    > > >
    > > > I'm so fucking sick of this shit. I pay them for the best possible
    > > > connection and all I get is shit.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried different routers, swapping cables, running tests, etc. My
    > > > gear and connection seems fine, at least as far as WxC. Then it turns to
    > > > shit.

    > > Read the threads in the Geekzone Xnet forums - you're not alone in your
    > > problems. Most worrying is the deafening silence on the issue from the
    > > Xnet management - it's making me wonder whether they have a viable
    > > future as an ISP. I'll probably stick with them for the next couple of
    > > months but if things haven't been sorted out by then I'll be looking for
    > > a new ISP (and once I find one I'll take the dozen or so people who
    > > followed me to Xnet with me).

    > Hell, I wasn't even been able to get their own VoIP running and still
    > have bandwidth management (based on IP and ports) running - which is
    > absolutely essential to me as I run BitTorrent, various online games,
    > IMAP email and a bunch of other services at once.
    >
    > I ended up buying the full Skype package which works better anyway, even
    > if I am limited to an Auckland 09 number (I live in Tauranga). I
    > considered changing back to Telecom for my phone, but Xnet said I'd have
    > to live without 'net or a landline for a WEEK while I was switched over
    > from naked DSL back to the old setup.
    >
    > Well I said sod you guys of course and only stuck with them for
    > internet. Best thing I could have done, really. I've saving heaps of
    > money using Skype exclusively :)
    >
    > Pity there 'net access now seems to suck so badly :-(
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Well - I now know what's wrong -
    <http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=406> - and after 48 hours
    it's STILL not fixed *grinds teeth*

    Apparently a very small number of people at my ISP have had certain
    types of upstream traffic reduced to nearly nothing. It's quite weird,
    but real.

    It's led to some _really_ strange things happening over the past couple
    days. Stuff like a website working in only one browser, only some emails
    sending successfully - all of which made me suspect my own setup or that
    of the services I was communicating with. Don't ask me how it manages
    that *shakes head* If someone can explain - I'd love to hear :-D Clearly
    Xnet still has no clue :-(

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 7, 2008
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Well - I now know what's wrong -
    > <http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=406> - and after 48 hours
    > it's STILL not fixed *grinds teeth*
    >
    > Apparently a very small number of people at my ISP have had certain
    > types of upstream traffic reduced to nearly nothing. It's quite weird,
    > but real.
    >
    > It's led to some _really_ strange things happening over the past couple
    > days. Stuff like a website working in only one browser, only some emails
    > sending successfully - all of which made me suspect my own setup or that
    > of the services I was communicating with. Don't ask me how it manages
    > that *shakes head* If someone can explain - I'd love to hear :-D Clearly
    > Xnet still has no clue :-(

    On a brighter note, heresay from a reliable source tells me that Xnet
    have provisioned more international bandwidth and the problems I
    referred to earlier are expected to be much reduced. That certainly
    seemed to be the case last night/early this morning.

    EMB, Oct 8, 2008
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-06, EMB <> wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> I can't get webpages to finish loading. Sometimes sites as common as
    >> YouTube won't load at all for a while. IRC and IM connections drop out
    >> like crazy. File transfer is a joke - I've given up on ever being able
    >> to receive the 1GB file I'm trying to sync across the 'net to my local
    >> Mac (webdav).
    >>
    >> WTF is going on? Anyone know? I spent an hour on hold trying to call
    >> WorldxChange last night and couldn't get through to anyone :-(
    >>
    >> I'm so fucking sick of this shit. I pay them for the best possible
    >> connection and all I get is shit.
    >>
    >> I've tried different routers, swapping cables, running tests, etc. My
    >> gear and connection seems fine, at least as far as WxC. Then it turns to
    >> shit.

    > Read the threads in the Geekzone Xnet forums - you're not alone in your
    > problems. Most worrying is the deafening silence on the issue from the
    > Xnet management - it's making me wonder whether they have a viable
    > future as an ISP.

    Ping Orcon, Xtra, etc. Yep they are still here.

    >I'll probably stick with them for the next couple of
    > months but if things haven't been sorted out by then I'll be looking for
    > a new ISP (and once I find one I'll take the dozen or so people who
    > followed me to Xnet with me).

    CHURN, sorry for shouting. This is the weapon we consumers have,fire it
    often.

    Get a domain name and then your e-mail address is yours and you can take it
    where you like, and the senders will never know. The sooner you do this the
    better. ( Disclaimer, I have no $ interest in the companies who offer web
    hosting/domain names. ) Hey another thought, get a web mail address from
    Yahoo, gmail etc and no $ are involved, with all the power of churning.

    So, pissed off with your ISP? Churn. I stick with someone until they piss me
    off, then I am off to the competition. When the ISPs understand that a new
    customer might just churn at the drop of a hat we will have, lets offer
    great service to keep them, rather than lets get as many people signed up as
    possible, for they will saty with us.

    Glad to see EMB posting my views on this one

    Gordon, Oct 8, 2008
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-08, EMB <> wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>
    >> Well - I now know what's wrong -
    >> <http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=406> - and after 48 hours
    >> it's STILL not fixed *grinds teeth*
    >>
    >> Apparently a very small number of people at my ISP have had certain
    >> types of upstream traffic reduced to nearly nothing. It's quite weird,
    >> but real.
    >>
    >> It's led to some _really_ strange things happening over the past couple
    >> days. Stuff like a website working in only one browser, only some emails
    >> sending successfully - all of which made me suspect my own setup or that
    >> of the services I was communicating with. Don't ask me how it manages
    >> that *shakes head* If someone can explain - I'd love to hear :-D Clearly
    >> Xnet still has no clue :-(

    > On a brighter note, heresay from a reliable source tells me that Xnet
    > have provisioned more international bandwidth and the problems I
    > referred to earlier are expected to be much reduced. That certainly
    > seemed to be the case last night/early this morning.

    Hey Xnet, good you read this ng.

    People here want gold, and are often prepared to pay for it

    Gordon, Oct 8, 2008
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > CHURN, sorry for shouting. This is the weapon we consumers have,fire it
    > often.
    >
    > Get a domain name and then your e-mail address is yours and you can take it
    > where you like, and the senders will never know. The sooner you do this the
    > better. ( Disclaimer, I have no $ interest in the companies who offer web
    > hosting/domain names. ) Hey another thought, get a web mail address from
    > Yahoo, gmail etc and no $ are involved, with all the power of churning.
    >
    > So, pissed off with your ISP? Churn. I stick with someone until they piss me
    > off, then I am off to the competition. When the ISPs understand that a new
    > customer might just churn at the drop of a hat we will have, lets offer
    > great service to keep them, rather than lets get as many people signed up as
    > possible, for they will saty with us.

    One more bit of legislation is needed to make the ISP market work
    properly - there should be no minimum term you have to spend with any
    ISP. That way if they don't live up to expectations the customer can
    churn away immediately with no financial penalty. The gaining ISP
    should also have to wear the churn fee - it would provide an incentive
    for them not to over-promise their services.

    EMB, Oct 8, 2008
  13. On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:17:32 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >> CHURN, sorry for shouting. This is the weapon we consumers have,fire it
    >> often.
    >>
    >> Get a domain name and then your e-mail address is yours and you can take it
    >> where you like, and the senders will never know. The sooner you do this the
    >> better. ( Disclaimer, I have no $ interest in the companies who offer web
    >> hosting/domain names. ) Hey another thought, get a web mail address from
    >> Yahoo, gmail etc and no $ are involved, with all the power of churning.
    >>
    >> So, pissed off with your ISP? Churn. I stick with someone until they piss me
    >> off, then I am off to the competition. When the ISPs understand that a new
    >> customer might just churn at the drop of a hat we will have, lets offer
    >> great service to keep them, rather than lets get as many people signed up as
    >> possible, for they will saty with us.
    >>

    >One more bit of legislation is needed to make the ISP market work
    >properly - there should be no minimum term you have to spend with any
    >ISP. That way if they don't live up to expectations the customer can
    >churn away immediately with no financial penalty. The gaining ISP
    >should also have to wear the churn fee - it would provide an incentive
    >for them not to over-promise their services.

    If the ISP you are leaving has failed to live up to their promises,
    then you are likely entitled to leave without any penalty, due to them
    having broken their contract with you. Of course, sensible ISPs do
    not actually promise much. They hint at things, but will not actually
    promise anything substantial.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 8, 2008
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-10-07, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm really pleased that your advice (to me) to use Xnet came just
    >>> after I'd signed up with Actrix. Actrix have been essentially
    >>> trouble-free and very transparent when there has been the odd minor
    >>> glitch.

    >> They have been bloody good until recently, and are still better than
    >> ihug were before I bailed to Xnet. I think the problems are likely to
    >> be resolved shortly. At a guess Xnet will raise their data prices
    >> enough to make the high-usage clients move elsewhere at which stage
    >> good international connectivity will return. Right now I'm not overly
    >> worried about really fast international connectivity as I have access
    >> to a 10Mb/s connection (that runs full speed outside working hours)
    >> where I am working.

    > Hopefully Xnet get it together soon then.

    that had atlease acknoledged a number of problems last night when I
    went to their site with news-server issues

    (it feels like data-dependant corruption.)

    > I know it's OT for this group but, while I've got you (so to speak) what do
    > you recommend for 'killing' rust in a car? I have an area I want to
    > wire-brush, treat then paint over to try to slow down or stop it spreading.

    phosphoric acid is usually reccomended (a major ingredient of coca-cola)

    penetrol rust control (a different sort of product) works extremely well.
    australian export fishoilene works fairly well too.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Oct 8, 2008
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hopefully Xnet get it together soon then.
    >
    > I know it's OT for this group but, while I've got you (so to speak) what do
    > you recommend for 'killing' rust in a car? I have an area I want to
    > wire-brush, treat then paint over to try to slow down or stop it spreading.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I've heard nothing but praise for POR15.
    http://www.por15.co.nz/POR15Prod/starterkit.htm

    Squiggle, Oct 8, 2008
  16. EMB <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > >
    > > Well - I now know what's wrong -
    > > <http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=406> - and after 48 hours
    > > it's STILL not fixed *grinds teeth*
    > >
    > > Apparently a very small number of people at my ISP have had certain
    > > types of upstream traffic reduced to nearly nothing. It's quite weird,
    > > but real.
    > >
    > > It's led to some _really_ strange things happening over the past couple
    > > days. Stuff like a website working in only one browser, only some emails
    > > sending successfully - all of which made me suspect my own setup or that
    > > of the services I was communicating with. Don't ask me how it manages
    > > that *shakes head* If someone can explain - I'd love to hear :-D Clearly
    > > Xnet still has no clue :-(

    > On a brighter note, heresay from a reliable source tells me that Xnet
    > have provisioned more international bandwidth and the problems I
    > referred to earlier are expected to be much reduced. That certainly
    > seemed to be the case last night/early this morning.

    Well, I've just been blocked from the Geekzone forums for calling a jerk
    a jerk in the Xnet forum (at least I assume that's why). But that's not
    the issue - what has me ammused is they say use their contact form if
    you believe this is in error (using the word jerk got me banned? You bet
    I want to query that). But naturally their contact form is borked and
    won't allow contact if you've been banned. Yet if you've been banned
    they say to use their... well, anyway.

    Suffice to say if that's how well run their site is I'm better off
    without them. I swear - does any company do ANY testing on their
    website?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 9, 2008