WTF, is the USPS retarded?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. But GENERALLY
    USPS is good at finding it. Bought something I thought would be
    shipped FedEx or UPS (who are HORRIBLE at finding my house) so I had
    it shipped to my work.

    HAHAH Silly me, they shipped it USPS, and wow.. It left New York
    September 18th, went "Undeliverable" September 20th, went "No Such
    Number" September 25th, and since then, it's been having the grand
    tour of New York.

    I don't f-in believe this. Company won't ship replacement until they
    get this back.

    I've e-mailed USPS asking them WTF. They responded if I suspect "Foul
    Play." No shit... First the tracking info, then the reply to my e-mail
    asking if they're waiting for this package to be eligible for Social
    Security before it gets back to the sender:

    Detailed Results:
    Bullet Processed, September 30, 2008, 8:17 pm, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    Bullet Processed, September 29, 2008, 1:36 am, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    Bullet Processed, September 28, 2008, 1:01 am, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    Bullet Processed, September 27, 2008, 4:52 am, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    Bullet Processed, September 27, 2008, 12:45 am, FLUSHING, NY 11351
    Bullet Processed, September 25, 2008, 11:20 pm, OAKLAND, CA 94615
    Bullet No Such Number, September 25, 2008, 10:04 am, PLEASANTON, CA
    Bullet Undeliverable as Addressed, September 20, 2008, 10:40 am,
    PLEASANTON, CA 94588
    Bullet Processed, September 20, 2008, 5:06 am, OAKLAND, CA 94615
    Bullet Processed, September 18, 2008, 8:20 pm, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, September 18, 2008

    Now, the USPS Reply to "Where the **** is my package?"

    apologize for the inconvenience. I will be happy to document this
    problem for a resolution. In order to do this, I need some additional
    information so this can be sent to the correct office and you can be
    contacted. Please reply to this email with the following information:

    - Full name of the sender
    - Address of the sender
    - Full name of the recipient
    - Address of the recipient
    - Class of mail (Express Mail®, First Class Mail®, international,
    military, Periodicals, Priority Mail®, Bulk Mail, Parcel Post®, or
    mixed class)
    - Services added (Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™, Return Receipt
    for Merchandise, Insured, C.OD., Signature Confirmation™ or Delivery
    Confirmation™)
    - Label number you are missing two numbers
    - Location the mail item was sent from
    - Time and date the mail item was sent
    - Contents of the mail item
    - Dollar value of item mailed
    - If you suspect foul play:
    - Do you know who was involved? Yes or No
    - Do you know the name(s) of who you suspect? Yes or No
    - Was it a Postal employee? Yes or No
    - Do you have a description? Yes or No
    Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008

  2. Evan Platt wrote:

    > So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. But GENERALLY
    > USPS is good at finding it. Bought something I thought would be
    > shipped FedEx or UPS (who are HORRIBLE at finding my house) so I had
    > it shipped to my work.

    So why would anyone in the 21st century not have a number on their house.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2008

  3. Evan Platt

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > > So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. But GENERALLY

    > So why would anyone in the 21st century not have a number on their house.

    In a country setting, one may NOT have a house number, but only a
    mailbox number. UPS cant deliver to a mailbox number, unless its a small
    town and the ups guy goes to to the post office and has the folks
    deliver a notice that a UPS delivery is waiting.

    For USPS things, if you dont have a house number, you are out of luck,
    unless you mail to a PO box number.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Evan Platt

    Plato Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > Now, the USPS Reply to "Where the **** is my package?"

    With that attitude, they will NEVER find you.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Evan Platt

    VanguardLH Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. ...

    <snip - whines about his stupidity>

    There, there. Now does liddle widdle Evan feel better after venting to
    those that can do nothing about his laziness and troubles resulting
    therefrom? We wait with bated breath for your next episode when you
    whine about calling 911 but emergency services can't find you. Now head
    off to Office Depot and get some stick-on numbers to put on your
    mailbox.
    VanguardLH, Oct 2, 2008
  6. Evan Platt

    VanguardLH Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >>> So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. But GENERALLY

    >> So why would anyone in the 21st century not have a number on their house.

    > In a country setting, one may NOT have a house number, but only a
    > mailbox number.

    Which probably violates municipal code requiring the identification of a
    residence by its house number which must be visible from the street.
    This identification, for example, is required for emergency services,
    including the police. Notice *where* Evan said the USPS claimed the
    package became undeliverable: PLEASANTON, CA 94588. Does
    http://tinyurl.com/4peazz look rural to you?

    > UPS cant deliver to a mailbox number, ...

    Um, reread Evan's rant. He's whining about USPS, not UPS. Only USPS is
    entitled to deliver to a PO box (if by that you meant a mailbox number).
    UPS would've rejected the package as soon as Evan gave it to them if a
    PO box had been specified.

    > For USPS things, if you dont have a house number, you are out of luck,
    > unless you mail to a PO box number.

    If by "mailbox" you meant is the curbside mailbox outside a residence,
    USPS requires the house number be on the mailbox or visible on the house
    from the street. See:

    http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm
    under section 3.2.7

    http://ezinearticles.com/?USPS-Mailbox-Requirements&id=1376519
    under "Curbside Mailboxes" section.

    Remember that Evan said, "But GENERALLY USPS is good at finding it."
    That means that he already *has* had problems in the past with postal
    deliveries to his unidentified residence and that he should've already
    put stick-on numbers on his mailbox.

    Of course, it's pretty stupid for Evan to be whining to folks that can
    do nothing about his ineptitude to identify his residence or his
    resulting troubles with the USPS. Maybe he's no longer living with his
    parents so mommy isn't around to listen to his rantings, so he afflicts
    us here with it. He needed to vent somewhere because, oh no, it could
    never be his fault, uh nuh. I can just picture him walking into a wall
    and then pointing his fingers at everyone else that it was their fault.
    VanguardLH, Oct 2, 2008
  7. Evan Platt

    JAMES Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    HAHAH Silly me,

    First sensible thing you have said.
    Jim
    JAMES, Oct 2, 2008
  8. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:25:57 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >So why would anyone in the 21st century not have a number on their house.

    I own the house, rent the land. (Long story). House is down a long
    skinny driveway. I've finally decided I'm going to pay the city to do
    it ($50.) Mailbox is close to the house away from the street. Not too
    easily visible from the street.
    Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008
  9. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 2 Oct 2008 02:28:01 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >With that attitude, they will NEVER find you.

    I was being incredibly polite to them. But it's too late. The package
    is in New York now, getting the grand tour. Eventually, maybe it will
    get back to the sender.
    Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008
  10. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:49:19 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >The USPS has 'requirements' for a street mailbox or a residence with a
    >porch mailbox. The USPS also *HATES* UAA (undeliverable as addressed)
    >mail incidents because it costs them a bundle -- so you should determine
    >whatever you have to do to prevent UAA from recurring including what you
    >have to do to get a CASS-certifiable address (coding accuracy and support
    >system) which is described as "an individual address is changed to conform
    >to USPS standards for address element abbreviations and punctuation, and
    >postal coding-the additional four digits of the ZIP code-is added. For an
    >address to be eligible for postal coding, it must be verified by matching
    >it to one of 33 million address ranges in the USPS database."

    I used the Zip+4. And again, this was addressed to my WORK.

    >I would never buy anything which I didn't know how it was going to be
    >shipped; in fact I try to have an influence on how an item is shipped
    >(usps, dhl, fedex, ups) because of my preferences for delivery. Not only
    >do I want to know how it is going to be shipped, but I also want to know
    >the tracking information so that I can 'keep up with' the progress of the
    >delivery by checking online.

    Well, I selected "Ground", which I assumed was UPS or FedEx. Turns out
    they shipped Priority because it was cheaper.

    >You could have/ should have/ caught up with it while it was still in
    >Pleasanton CA for 5 days.

    Oh shit, yeah. Let me give you the number for the supervisor at the
    Pleasanton Main Post office, Mr. Singh. Guy has the personality of a
    doorstop. Told him what was happening, "The package is already on it's
    way back to the sender. There's nothing I can do." Offered to give him
    the tracking number to verify it, he couldn't care any less. Just
    wanted to get off the phone. Apparently, he had other things to do
    than assist customers.
    Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008
  11. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:17:22 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >There, there. Now does liddle widdle Evan feel better after venting to
    >those that can do nothing about his laziness and troubles resulting
    >therefrom?

    Someone can't read. The package was sent to my work.

    >We wait with bated breath for your next episode when you
    >whine about calling 911 but emergency services can't find you.

    Police have no trouble finding the house. Had to call at least twice.
    Never a problem.

    >Now head off to Office Depot and get some stick-on numbers to put on your
    >mailbox.

    Mailbox is at the end of a LONG driveway far from the street. I'm
    going to get the house # painted on the curb. Just trying to do it the
    right way.
    Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008
  12. Evan Platt

    TJ Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:25:57 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> So why would anyone in the 21st century not have a number on their
    >>> house.

    >> I own the house, rent the land. (Long story). House is down a long
    >> skinny driveway. I've finally decided I'm going to pay the city to do
    >> it ($50.) Mailbox is close to the house away from the street. Not too
    >> easily visible from the street.

    > DHL is worse - they don't do "Signature Required" for residential
    > addresses. So, if you have something shipped, say 12 Servers and
    > several UPS and Workstations, and they deliver them to a business in a
    > residential area, they will drop them in the yard of the business and
    > leave without even ringing the door-bell. Their statement is that they
    > don't do "Signature Required" for residential areas, even when it's
    > requested on the delivery forms.

    What the hell did that have to do with Even Platt paying the city 50 bucks
    to do "it"? And for that matter, what the hell is Evan Platt paying the
    city 50 bucks to do? Stick a number on his mailbox?
    TJ, Oct 2, 2008
  13. Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. But GENERALLY
    > USPS is good at finding it. Bought something I thought would be
    > shipped FedEx or UPS (who are HORRIBLE at finding my house) so I had
    > it shipped to my work.
    >
    > HAHAH Silly me, they shipped it USPS, and wow.. It left New York
    > September 18th, went "Undeliverable" September 20th, went "No Such
    > Number" September 25th, and since then, it's been having the grand
    > tour of New York.
    >
    > I don't f-in believe this. Company won't ship replacement until they
    > get this back.
    >
    > I've e-mailed USPS asking them WTF. They responded if I suspect "Foul
    > Play." No shit... First the tracking info, then the reply to my e-mail
    > asking if they're waiting for this package to be eligible for Social
    > Security before it gets back to the sender:
    >
    > Detailed Results:
    > Bullet Processed, September 30, 2008, 8:17 pm, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    > Bullet Processed, September 29, 2008, 1:36 am, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    > Bullet Processed, September 28, 2008, 1:01 am, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    > Bullet Processed, September 27, 2008, 4:52 am, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    > Bullet Processed, September 27, 2008, 12:45 am, FLUSHING, NY 11351
    > Bullet Processed, September 25, 2008, 11:20 pm, OAKLAND, CA 94615
    > Bullet No Such Number, September 25, 2008, 10:04 am, PLEASANTON, CA
    > Bullet Undeliverable as Addressed, September 20, 2008, 10:40 am,
    > PLEASANTON, CA 94588
    > Bullet Processed, September 20, 2008, 5:06 am, OAKLAND, CA 94615
    > Bullet Processed, September 18, 2008, 8:20 pm, BROOKLYN, NY 11256
    > Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, September 18, 2008
    >
    > Now, the USPS Reply to "Where the **** is my package?"
    >
    > apologize for the inconvenience. I will be happy to document this
    > problem for a resolution. In order to do this, I need some additional
    > information so this can be sent to the correct office and you can be
    > contacted. Please reply to this email with the following information:
    >
    > - Full name of the sender
    > - Address of the sender
    > - Full name of the recipient
    > - Address of the recipient
    > - Class of mail (Express Mail®, First Class Mail®, international,
    > military, Periodicals, Priority Mail®, Bulk Mail, Parcel Post®, or
    > mixed class)
    > - Services added (Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™, Return Receipt
    > for Merchandise, Insured, C.OD., Signature Confirmation™ or Delivery
    > Confirmation™)
    > - Label number you are missing two numbers
    > - Location the mail item was sent from
    > - Time and date the mail item was sent
    > - Contents of the mail item
    > - Dollar value of item mailed
    > - If you suspect foul play:
    > - Do you know who was involved? Yes or No
    > - Do you know the name(s) of who you suspect? Yes or No
    > - Was it a Postal employee? Yes or No
    > - Do you have a description? Yes or No

    So, what's your point?

    You know those are the guys who go nutzy and start shooting, right?

    --

    I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* am a PC!

    http://the-great-debate-of-2008.notlong.com/

    http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?messageDate=2008-10-01
    Bucky Breeder, Oct 2, 2008
  14. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:02:46 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Take it here: http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp Find a ZIP Code by
    >entering an address.

    Yep, address is exactly as I entered it, and exactly as the shipper
    states they put it on the label.

    >You might find that if you enter your work address in the address
    >'determiner' that it might have a different designation than you think.
    >The other problem with work addresses and the usps is what is supposed to
    >happen if the work address is a bunch of mailboxes in a central location
    >in the office building.

    Yep, that's how it is. 2 mailbox areas in the lobby. One for ... umm..
    half the suites, the other for the other half. Each suite has a
    'mailbox'.

    >Is the postman/person supposed to hand carry an
    >item which requires a sig to the particular office? Some do and some
    >don't.

    They generally come up here. We've had certified letters delivered.
    The mail carrier comes up here with the letter, someone signs.

    >What is the office mailhandler supposed to do with a little postal
    >card which tells about an attempted delivery? Maybe they are stupid and
    >don't know what to do. That's how things get 'lost in the mail'.

    We don't have a office mailhandler. There's 2 of us at the 'front' of
    the office, we get the little attempted delivery cards. I check the
    mail at the mailbox every day.

    >(In the future) I highly recommend trying to get your hands on the package
    >before it waits around the alloted time and then goes back and leaves your
    >postoffice.
    >
    >> There's nothing I can do."

    >That's for sure. It is out of his hands (and yours) now.

    Well, I saw the package go to undeliverable Saturday night. Called
    first thing Monday morning. He didn't even ask for a tracking number.
    It sat almost a week from when I called. But Mr. Singh didn't give a
    rats ass.
    Evan Platt, Oct 2, 2008
  15. Evan Platt

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:17:37 +0000, Bucky Breeder wrote:

> [...]
    >> military, Periodicals, Priority Mail®, Bulk Mail, Parcel Post®, or
    >> mixed class)
    >> - Services added (Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™, Return Receipt

    for
    >> Merchandise, Insured, C.OD., Signature Confirmation™ or Delivery
    >> Confirmation™)
    >> - Label number you are missing two numbers - Location the mail item was
    >> sent from - Time and date the mail item was sent - Contents of the mail
    >> item
    >> - Dollar value of item mailed
    >> - If you suspect foul play:
    >> - Do you know who was involved? Yes or No - Do you know the name(s) of
    >> who you suspect? Yes or No - Was it a Postal employee? Yes or No - Do
    >> you have a description? Yes or No

    > So, what's your point?
    >
    > You know those are the guys who go nutzy and start shooting, right?

    Hence the expression 'going postal'.

    A word of advice: don't **** with the postman, it can be fatal.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com
    Aardvark, Oct 3, 2008
  16. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:53:04 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >So my house doesn't have a street number on the street. But GENERALLY
    >USPS is good at finding it. Bought something I thought would be
    >shipped FedEx or UPS (who are HORRIBLE at finding my house) so I had
    >it shipped to my work.

    Wow...

    PROCEDURE FOR HOUSE # PAINTING ON THE CURB

    Peddlers License &/or Business License
    1. Person must go. to Revenue & Tax and pay a fee for the
    Peddlers License.
    2. Person must be fingerprinted and photographed by DMV or other
    agency. The
    Police Dept. will run a. check that will take approximately 8 weeks.
    Upon approval by Police Dept. the Peddlers license will be issued.
    3. The Peddler will show a license before a permit is issued.
    4. Items 1-3 are not required for registered non-profit
    organizations.
    5. City Engineering requires the following:
    a. $12.00 fee
    b. Area to be painted is issued by Engineering.
    c. Permit is good for 90 days. Recall notice in 80 days to contact
    permitee to make sure punchlist work is completed within the 90 day
    period.
    d. Provide Engineering with a sample of the Notice that will be handed
    out to each residence. This copy will include contact person, address,
    phone number, and Peddler license number (to be kept by Engineering to
    attach to our copy).
    e. There will be a $500.00 deposit (Cashier's check) required to bond
    the Public Right of Way.
    f. Contact the City's Risk Manager at (510) 284-4050 to acquire
    insurance requirement. Acquire insurance prior to permit application.
    g. All other requirements are listed on the permit.

    WOW.
    Evan Platt, Oct 3, 2008
  17. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 19:45:45 -0700, Bill
    <> wrote:

    > So why are you going into the address number painting business?

    I'm not. I asked the city how I could get it done. They said
    regardless if I hire someone, this has to be done.
    Evan Platt, Oct 3, 2008
  18. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:43:52 -0700, John H. Guillory
    <> wrote:

    >If I was you, I'd considered putting a sign out at the edge of your
    >driveway with your address on it.... Perhaps pointing an arrow towards
    >your house with the complete address, etc....

    I did put up a solar sign. Stolen in 3 weeks.
    Evan Platt, Oct 3, 2008
  19. Evan Platt

    VanguardLH Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:17:22 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>There, there. Now does liddle widdle Evan feel better after venting to
    >>those that can do nothing about his laziness and troubles resulting
    >>therefrom?

    > Someone can't read. The package was sent to my work.

    Yep, you're right. That was my mistake. So go have a discussion with
    the secretary at the front desk that said you don't work there or
    wouldn't accept packages that are addressed to employees rather than to
    the company but to the attention of an employee. Or maybe your place of
    business doesn't have a number by or above their front door. I doubt it
    (depends on the area) and maybe the postal worker was just covering
    their butt when they got back and realized they missed a package sitting
    in the back of their truck. I'm assuming you did put a building number
    on the address and not just a company name and street.

    You said that you "thought would be shipped FedEx or UPS". Did you pay
    extra to use those carriers?

    > Mailbox is at the end of a LONG driveway far from the street. I'm
    > going to get the house # painted on the curb. Just trying to do it the
    > right way.

    On the curb? Do your municipal laws allow that? Well, I guess you
    don't get snow where you are. Here in winter no one would see anything
    painted on the curb with the snowplows covering them (always fun digging
    out from the barrier of snow they leave across the driveway).
    VanguardLH, Oct 3, 2008
  20. Aardvark <> wrote in news:BodFk.14102$FP7.10803
    @newsfe27.ams2:

    I am "the postman"... and you are not.

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 3, 2008