WTF is a Netbook, anyway?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. Handy Register guide.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 14, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Je| Guest

    news:gpfr36$lke$...
    > Handy Register guide.
    >
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>

    It's a marketing concept.

    J&H.
    Je|, Mar 14, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Handy Register guide.
    >
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>

    A PDA on a power trip. Or maybe a crippled laptop.
    Squiggle, Mar 14, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "Je|<ݬ¬ & µÝÐe" <jekyll&> wrote in message
    > > Handy Register guide.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>

    > It's a marketing concept.

    And a fashion accessory. :)
    Your Name, Mar 14, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > > Handy Register guide.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>

    > A PDA on a power trip. Or maybe a crippled laptop.

    Actually, since many laptops are now forced to use Vista and many Netbooks
    are still using XP, it's probably the laptops that are "crippled". ;-)
    Your Name, Mar 14, 2009
  6. In message <49bc4612$>, vitw wrote:

    > The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of an A5
    > sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a cellphone's, and
    > a price tag of $700 or less.

    A Palm Pre, by any chance?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 14, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    oneofus Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:49:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Handy Register guide.
    >>
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/

    > The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of an A5
    > sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a cellphone's, and
    > a price tag of $700 or less.

    A bit like a Nokia 810 Tablet, but cheaper ?
    oneofus, Mar 15, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    > vitw wrote:
    > > On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:49:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >
    > >> Handy Register guide.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/

    > > The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of an

    A5
    > > sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a cellphone's,

    and
    > > a price tag of $700 or less.

    > A bit like a Nokia 810 Tablet, but cheaper ?

    Or perhaps the rumoured Apple iTablet / iNetbook that they've just ordered
    10" screens for ... although that will have an on-screen keyboard and won't
    have that price tag.
    Your Name, Mar 15, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:41:07 +1300, oneofus wrote:
    >
    >>> The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of
    >>> an A5 sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a
    >>> cellphone's, and a price tag of $700 or less.
    >>>

    >> A bit like a Nokia 810 Tablet, but cheaper ?

    > No - the 810 only has a 4" display. I said I want a tablet with a
    > display the size of an A5 sheet of paper.

    That's what "a bit like" means, that they have some features in common.
    Therefore I believe the correct answer should be "Yes, although the 810 only
    has...." There's no need to keep repeating what's already quoted above, that
    you want a display the size of an A5 sheet of paper. (Now you've got me
    doing it!)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 16, 2009