WTD: wma to mp3 converter please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by firethefox, Jun 3, 2006.

  1. firethefox

    firethefox Guest

    Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.
     
    firethefox, Jun 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. firethefox

    firethefox Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message news:4480f0df$...
    > Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    > trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    > million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    > someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.
    >


    Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to get hits
    I could find what I want easily.
     
    firethefox, Jun 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. firethefox

    GraB Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:17:16 +1200, "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote:

    >
    >"firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message news:4480f0df$...
    >> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    >> trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    >> million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    >> someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.
    >>

    >
    >Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to get hits
    >I could find what I want easily.
    >

    Try using the word 'freeware'. Or have a look at this:
    http://www.hotlib.com/products1.php?id=32197
     
    GraB, Jun 3, 2006
    #3
  4. firethefox

    shannon Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    firethefox wrote:
    > "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message news:4480f0df$...
    >> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    >> trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    >> million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    >> someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.
    >>

    >
    > Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to get hits
    > I could find what I want easily.
    >
    >

    foobar 2000
     
    shannon, Jun 3, 2006
    #4
  5. firethefox

    shannon Guest

    firethefox wrote:
    > Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    > trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    > million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    > someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.
    >
    >

    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
     
    shannon, Jun 3, 2006
    #5
  6. firethefox

    kapute Guest

    firethefox wrote:
    > Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    > trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    > million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    > someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.


    iTunes will do this. If you import wma files into itunes it
    automatically converts them into mp3 format, at least it did last time
    I tried it.
     
    kapute, Jun 3, 2006
    #6
  7. firethefox

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    shannon wrote:
    > firethefox wrote:
    >> "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message
    >> news:4480f0df$...
    >>> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none
    >>> then a trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself
    >>> but get a million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so
    >>> would appreciate someone saving me the hassle, especially with my
    >>> browser on the go slow.

    >>
    >> Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to
    >> get hits I could find what I want easily.
    >>
    >>

    > foobar 2000


    Man, Foobar does bloody near everything and still fits on a floppy.
    --
    Shaun.
     
    ~misfit~, Jun 3, 2006
    #7
  8. firethefox

    firethefox Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:17:16 +1200, "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message news:4480f0df$...
    > >> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then

    a
    > >> trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    > >> million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would

    appreciate
    > >> someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go

    slow.
    > >>

    > >
    > >Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to get

    hits
    > >I could find what I want easily.
    > >

    > Try using the word 'freeware'. Or have a look at this:
    > http://www.hotlib.com/products1.php?id=32197
    >


    Awesome, thanks a lot, that was perfect for my needs. I still find even if
    you use the word freeware that you still get the run around.
     
    firethefox, Jun 3, 2006
    #8
  9. firethefox

    firethefox Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I have gone with GraB's suggestion.
     
    firethefox, Jun 3, 2006
    #9
  10. firethefox

    David Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >> firethefox wrote:
    >>> "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message
    >>> news:4480f0df$...
    >>>> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none
    >>>> then a trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself
    >>>> but get a million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so
    >>>> would appreciate someone saving me the hassle, especially with my
    >>>> browser on the go slow.
    >>> Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to
    >>> get hits I could find what I want easily.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> foobar 2000

    >
    > Man, Foobar does bloody near everything and still fits on a floppy.


    Although you do need a copy of LAME installed to encode MP3.
     
    David, Jun 3, 2006
    #10
  11. firethefox

    Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:46:39 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >firethefox wrote:
    >> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none then a
    >> trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself but get a
    >> million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so would appreciate
    >> someone saving me the hassle, especially with my browser on the go slow.
    >>
    >>

    >http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm




    Not Free as Stated...??
     
    , Jun 4, 2006
    #11
  12. Re: WTD: wma to mp3 converter please - how about video then?

    So how about wmv to mpg converters then? Since I have twice experienced the
    Brave New World of windows media player telling me that it has to call home to
    find out if I am allowed to watch a wmv file I boycott that file format.
    I will not have my comp begging MS for permission to display a file I have just
    downloaded from a website - blow that for a lark.

    However, sometimes there is no alternative available. I tried 3 downloaded
    converters, none of which worked, two crashed all the time and the third did
    not produce viable output i.i.r.c.

    Anybody know of a converter that WORKS and is free or cheap shareware (the
    problem comes up once or thrice every year or two, I will not spend a hundred
    bucks).
    Alternative would be, obviously, a decent replacement for WMP that will display
    these file formats and maybe also hold on to file format association ;-) (which
    DRM-WMP seems to overwrite away from WMP2, will ye or nil ye).

    -Peter

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
     
    Peter Huebner, Jun 4, 2006
    #12
  13. firethefox

    Shane Guest

    Re: WTD: wma to mp3 converter please - how about video then?

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > So how about wmv to mpg converters then? Since I have twice experienced
    > the Brave New World of windows media player telling me that it has to call
    > home to find out if I am allowed to watch a wmv file I boycott that file
    > format. I will not have my comp begging MS for permission to display a
    > file I have just downloaded from a website - blow that for a lark.
    >
    > However, sometimes there is no alternative available. I tried 3 downloaded
    > converters, none of which worked, two crashed all the time and the third
    > did not produce viable output i.i.r.c.
    >
    > Anybody know of a converter that WORKS and is free or cheap shareware (the
    > problem comes up once or thrice every year or two, I will not spend a
    > hundred bucks).
    > Alternative would be, obviously, a decent replacement for WMP that will
    > display these file formats and maybe also hold on to file format
    > association ;-) (which DRM-WMP seems to overwrite away from WMP2, will ye
    > or nil ye).
    >
    > -Peter
    >



    I was going to mention this before.
    Mplayer + mencoder or lame (All 3 have windows ports) will re-encodefiles in
    one format to another
    However. Im screwed if I know how to pipe the output from mplayer into lame
    on windows like I do on linux
    so
    work.. on linux.. for sure.. on windows.. most likely
    cost. dollars nil.. time/research .. a fair bit

    HTH

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
     
    Shane, Jun 4, 2006
    #13
  14. Re: WTD: wma to mp3 converter please - how about video then?

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So how about wmv to mpg converters then? Since I have twice experienced
    > the
    > Brave New World of windows media player telling me that it has to call
    > home to
    > find out if I am allowed to watch a wmv file I boycott that file format.
    > I will not have my comp begging MS for permission to display a file I have
    > just
    > downloaded from a website - blow that for a lark.
    >


    You could try vlc.. Its not just a player.. It will transcode from anything
    to anything...
     
    Craig Whitmore, Jun 4, 2006
    #14
  15. firethefox

    Guest

    Re: WTD: wma to mp3 converter please - how about video then?

    On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 14:15:50 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >So how about wmv to mpg converters then? Since I have twice experienced the
    >Brave New World of windows media player telling me that it has to call home to
    >find out if I am allowed to watch a wmv file I boycott that file format.
    >I will not have my comp begging MS for permission to display a file I have just
    >downloaded from a website - blow that for a lark.
    >
    >However, sometimes there is no alternative available. I tried 3 downloaded
    >converters, none of which worked, two crashed all the time and the third did
    >not produce viable output i.i.r.c.
    >
    >Anybody know of a converter that WORKS and is free or cheap shareware (the
    >problem comes up once or thrice every year or two, I will not spend a hundred
    >bucks).
    >Alternative would be, obviously, a decent replacement for WMP that will display
    >these file formats and maybe also hold on to file format association ;-) (which
    >DRM-WMP seems to overwrite away from WMP2, will ye or nil ye).
    >
    >-Peter




    I don't have any Problems with WMV Files and the Phone option is turned off
    with XP AntiSpy..

    Mind you I do not Use Media player..
     
    , Jun 4, 2006
    #15
  16. firethefox

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: wma to mp3 converter please

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:
    >>> firethefox wrote:
    >>>> "firethefox" <yep@yep> wrote in message
    >>>> news:4480f0df$...
    >>>>> Anyone know of a freeware wma to mp3 converter, if there are none
    >>>>> then a trial version thing will do, tried searching for one myself
    >>>>> but get a million hits, will take me hours to find what I want so
    >>>>> would appreciate someone saving me the hassle, especially with my
    >>>>> browser on the go slow.
    >>>> Of course if there weren't so many sites using the keyword free to
    >>>> get hits I could find what I want easily.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> foobar 2000

    >>
    >> Man, Foobar does bloody near everything and still fits on a floppy.

    >
    > Although you do need a copy of LAME installed to encode MP3.


    Who wouldn't have LAME installed?

    Y'know, I've always wondered why anyone else bothers to make mp3 encoders.
    LAME is just so God-damned good it seems an exercise in futility to code
    another one.
    --
    Shaun.
     
    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2006
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. *** HAWK

    Which is the best Mp3 / Wma converter?

    *** HAWK, Nov 23, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    500
  2. gorf

    wma to mp3 converter

    gorf, Feb 1, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    559
    Dennis Hining
    Mar 6, 2004
  3. Bob C
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    19,139
    Danny
    Oct 18, 2011
  4. Brett Cooper

    wma to mp3 converter free

    Brett Cooper, Jun 26, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    424
    Brett Cooper
    Jun 27, 2004
  5. Rider

    WMA to MP3 Converter

    Rider, Nov 8, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    540
Loading...

Share This Page