WTD: VPN over GPRS genius

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane Hobson, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Shane Hobson

    Shane Hobson Guest

    Problem:

    I manage a bunch of devices connected to together on a private IP network
    running on a 192.x.x.x range. The devices do not communicate to the
    outside world.
    They cannot be managed via telnet or web, only through a specfic
    management application.

    I use a laptop for all the management work on these devices, which is
    connected to the network via ethernet and assigned a 192.x.x.x address.

    The laptop has a Vodafone Connect Card (GPRS data connection) which
    enables it to browse the web through GPRS, but currently cannot connect to
    my network.

    I want to be able to establish a VPN through GPRS to my network, so that
    the laptop appears to be plugged into the network and is on a 192.x.x.x
    address.

    Can anyone out there make this work ?

    I have asked before and been sent numerious suggestions from people who
    have ideas about how to make it work, but haven't actually done it.

    I don't have time to muddle through this myself. My preference is to pay
    someone to make it work.

    Laptop is running XP Pro. I can provide a Windows/Linux PC or hardware VPN
    router on the edge of the network if required. The network does connect to
    the internet.

    thanks
    shane

    ph 021 742 634
    Shane Hobson, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Shane Hobson

    Kent Smith Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    "Shane Hobson" <> wrote in message
    > Problem:
    >
    > I manage a bunch of devices connected to together on a private IP network
    > running on a 192.x.x.x range. The devices do not communicate to the
    > outside world.
    > They cannot be managed via telnet or web, only through a specfic
    > management application.
    >
    > I use a laptop for all the management work on these devices, which is
    > connected to the network via ethernet and assigned a 192.x.x.x address.
    >
    > The laptop has a Vodafone Connect Card (GPRS data connection) which
    > enables it to browse the web through GPRS, but currently cannot connect to
    > my network.
    >
    > I want to be able to establish a VPN through GPRS to my network, so that
    > the laptop appears to be plugged into the network and is on a 192.x.x.x
    > address.
    >
    > Can anyone out there make this work ?
    >
    > I have asked before and been sent numerious suggestions from people who
    > have ideas about how to make it work, but haven't actually done it.
    >
    > I don't have time to muddle through this myself. My preference is to pay
    > someone to make it work.
    >
    > Laptop is running XP Pro. I can provide a Windows/Linux PC or hardware VPN
    > router on the edge of the network if required. The network does connect to
    > the internet.

    So do you want to manage your network from the Internet using GPRS or do you
    want to manage your network directly using GPRS without the Internet?

    You say "The devices do not communicate to the outside world." and "The
    network does connect to the internet". Which is it?

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Shane Hobson

    Shane Hobson Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    Hi Kent,

    I emailed you directly, did that arrive ?
    shane

    Shane Hobson, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Shane Hobson

    Ian Boag Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    You could always add a "controller" PC to yr network then access it
    remotely with something secure like GoToMyPC or Remote-Anything ...

    They both call OUT rather than waiting for calls in. Makes them pretty
    damn hard to hack/hijack.

    IB

    Ian Boag, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Shane Hobson

    Shannon Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:15:01 +1300, "Kent Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >"Shane Hobson" <> wrote in message
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> I manage a bunch of devices connected to together on a private IP network
    >> running on a 192.x.x.x range. The devices do not communicate to the
    >> outside world.
    >> They cannot be managed via telnet or web, only through a specfic
    >> management application.
    >>
    >> I use a laptop for all the management work on these devices, which is
    >> connected to the network via ethernet and assigned a 192.x.x.x address.
    >>
    >> The laptop has a Vodafone Connect Card (GPRS data connection) which
    >> enables it to browse the web through GPRS, but currently cannot connect to
    >> my network.
    >>
    >> I want to be able to establish a VPN through GPRS to my network, so that
    >> the laptop appears to be plugged into the network and is on a 192.x.x.x
    >> address.

    You'll need Proxy ARP if your laptop needs a 192 address. But I think
    the Windows 2000 RRAS (as the VPN server) does this automatically. If
    you do it with Linux, you'd have to be careful about that.

    >> Can anyone out there make this work ?
    >>
    >> I have asked before and been sent numerious suggestions from people who
    >> have ideas about how to make it work, but haven't actually done it.
    >>
    >> I don't have time to muddle through this myself. My preference is to pay
    >> someone to make it work.
    >>
    >> Laptop is running XP Pro. I can provide a Windows/Linux PC or hardware VPN
    >> router on the edge of the network if required. The network does connect to
    >> the internet.
    >>

    >So do you want to manage your network from the Internet using GPRS or do you
    >want to manage your network directly using GPRS without the Internet?

    GPRS would only allow Internet connections, wouldn't it?. I imagine
    using GPRS without the Internet would be infesable.

    >You say "The devices do not communicate to the outside world." and "The
    >network does connect to the internet". Which is it?

    It's easy enough to have devices on an internal LAN using the 192.168
    subnet that don't talk to the internet at large, but one box connected
    to this subnet is also connected to the Internet and allows VPN
    connections from the 'net into the local 192.168 subnet.

    I understand what the OP is trying to do - and I'm 99% sure it's
    possible. Unfortunatly, all I can say at this point is I know it's
    possble in theory without having done it personally, but I'll ask
    coworkers on Monday to see if we have done what you're asking - I am
    pretty sure we have done what you want, using PPTP over GPRS and
    Windows 2000 Server "Routing and Remote Access" as the VPN server.
    (And we'd have been using an external cellphone over bluetooth instead
    of onboard GPRS card.)
    Shannon, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Shane Hobson

    Tony Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    The answer to the question is -

    change your "uin" from www.vodaphone.co.nz to "internet"

    vodaphone uses really crap network devices for NAT (network address
    translation) that can't support ms pptp ( vpn ) or ipsec. Use the "internet"
    uin and you get a "real world" ip, and everything works ( no protection
    though )
    Tony, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Shane Hobson

    Shane Hobson Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    thanks tony
    Shane Hobson, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Shane Hobson

    Tony Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    One thing to note, the "internet" uin only works in NZ, if you travel
    overseas you need to change it back to www.vodaphone.co.nz

    Tony, Nov 30, 2003
  9. Shane Hobson

    Shannon Guest

    Re: VPN over GPRS genius

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:07:59 +1300, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >One thing to note, the "internet" uin only works in NZ, if you travel
    >overseas you need to change it back to www.vodaphone.co.nz
    >
    >"Shane Hobson" <> wrote in message
    >> thanks tony

    Coworker mentions "live.vodafone.co.nz" as another possibility.
    Apparently that one worked in .au (using Vodafone Au.). YMMV.

    Anyway, we have actually done it (PPTP over GPRS) so yep, if you have
    questions, you can email me. This address should work (once umunged).
    Shannon, Dec 1, 2003