WTD: Pentium III Coppermine CPU

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm in trouble with the missus. Her system is running a Katmai PIII 500 and
    she uses it for playing the same games I play and she's getting upset that
    my machine runs these games a lot more smoothly than hers. She has a
    reasonable video card (same as mine) so it's CPU replacement-time or I'm in
    the dog-box.

    Her board is a BX slot-1 board (coppermine-compatable) but I have a very
    good slocket and have no trouble running socket 370 CPUs in the same board.
    The BIOS allows settings up to 155Mhz FSB so a 133 would be fine.

    So I guess I'm looking for a 650 or faster CPU, the faster the better. I can
    swap for a GeForce 2-400MX/64Mb RAM AGP, a Seagate 10gig HDD or I can come
    up with some cash given a week or so. Or any combination of the preceeding
    depending on CPU speed. I'll pay before you send it if you have one, don't
    worry.

    So, can anyone help me? Please? I would like to keep her happy and am unable
    top fork out for a board/CPU/RAM combo and I can't buy one of these beasties
    from a shop.

    Please help if you can, I don't need the grief!! You can email me at
    misfit(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz

    Thanks in advance,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    Steve Guest

    <posted & mailed>

    ~misfit~ allegedly said:

    > So, can anyone help me? Please? I would like to keep her happy and am
    > unable top fork out for a board/CPU/RAM combo and I can't buy one of these
    > beasties from a shop.

    An Abit NF7 is $220 at Paradigm.
    A Duron 1200 is about $80.
    256MB of DDR Ram is about $90.

    That's under $400 including GST and shipping...and you could drop an Athlon
    2600+ in there in a few months and turn it into an awesome beast.

    I have a PIII-866....but its still fast enough I'm not ready to part with
    it. Anything less and you won't see the speed benefits you're looking for.

    --
    Steve
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war;
    neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
    nor for that matter in Germany.
    That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
    of the country who determine the policy and
    it is always a simple matter to drag the people
    along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
    dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
    dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
    always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same way
    in any country."
    - Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

    Steve, Jul 11, 2003

  3. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:54:39 +1200, "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz>
    wrote:

    >I'm in trouble with the missus. Her system is running a Katmai PIII 500 and
    >she uses it for playing the same games I play and she's getting upset that
    >my machine runs these games a lot more smoothly than hers. She has a
    >reasonable video card (same as mine) so it's CPU replacement-time or I'm in
    >the dog-box.
    >
    >Her board is a BX slot-1 board (coppermine-compatable) but I have a very
    >good slocket and have no trouble running socket 370 CPUs in the same board.
    >The BIOS allows settings up to 155Mhz FSB so a 133 would be fine.
    >
    >So I guess I'm looking for a 650 or faster CPU, the faster the better. I can
    >swap for a GeForce 2-400MX/64Mb RAM AGP, a Seagate 10gig HDD or I can come
    >up with some cash given a week or so. Or any combination of the preceeding
    >depending on CPU speed. I'll pay before you send it if you have one, don't
    >worry.
    >
    >So, can anyone help me? Please? I would like to keep her happy and am unable
    >top fork out for a board/CPU/RAM combo and I can't buy one of these beasties
    >from a shop.
    >
    >Please help if you can, I don't need the grief!! You can email me at
    >misfit(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    You could also go Tualatin

    http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/

    Master Tech ©, Jul 11, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    SteveM Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in

    > I'm in trouble with the missus. Her system is running a Katmai PIII
    > 500 and she uses it for playing the same games I play and she's
    > getting upset that my machine runs these games a lot more smoothly
    > than hers. She has a reasonable video card (same as mine) so it's CPU
    > replacement-time or I'm in the dog-box.
    >
    > Her board is a BX slot-1 board (coppermine-compatable) but I have a
    > very good slocket and have no trouble running socket 370 CPUs in the
    > same board. The BIOS allows settings up to 155Mhz FSB so a 133 would
    > be fine.
    >
    > So I guess I'm looking for a 650 or faster CPU, the faster the better.
    > I can swap for a GeForce 2-400MX/64Mb RAM AGP, a Seagate 10gig HDD or
    > I can come up with some cash given a week or so. Or any combination of
    > the preceeding depending on CPU speed. I'll pay before you send it if
    > you have one, don't worry.
    >
    > So, can anyone help me? Please? I would like to keep her happy and am
    > unable top fork out for a board/CPU/RAM combo and I can't buy one of
    > these beasties from a shop.
    >
    > Please help if you can, I don't need the grief!! You can email me at
    > misfit(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >

    > ---

    Don't get a 133Mhz FSB CPU, stick with a 100Mhz one.
    If you overclock a BX motherboard (above 100Mhz) then you over clock
    the AGP and PCI bus as well.
    It's almost a certianty that your machine will not run stable @ 133Mhz.

    Look around for a 1 Gig Celeron (Coppermine)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jul 11, 2003
  5. >
    > Don't get a 133Mhz FSB CPU, stick with a 100Mhz one.
    > If you overclock a BX motherboard (above 100Mhz) then you over clock
    > the AGP and PCI bus as well.
    > It's almost a certianty that your machine will not run stable @ 133Mhz.
    >
    > Look around for a 1 Gig Celeron (Coppermine)
    >
    > SteveM

    It'll be just fine, with PC133 RAM, a 1/4 PCI divider and a video card that
    doesn't mind a higher AGP speed then it'll be great. I remember well
    changing some P3 450s to Celeron 566s overclocked to 850, made a huge
    difference.

    I have a coppermine 900 sitting somewhere, known to do 1200MHz with very
    little persuation ;)

    $40 and it's yours misfit.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 12, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    SteveM Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > In article <oBvPa.76409$>,
    > misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    >>
    >> I've thought abuot doing the Tualatin mod myself but am not sure I'm
    >> capable of getting it right and I can't afford to ruin a CPU or have
    >> one that I can't use. A shame really as I can get a Celly Tualatin
    >> new still quite cheaply. Still a lot of money for me though.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the input.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > if you are weary of doing the mod: Ascent will sell you an adapter
    > that allows you to put a tualatin chip into a bx mobo. It's not on
    > their website - call them and ask for Giri, he dug one up for me no
    > problem. Upgradeware 370-GU
    > I used it to stick a 1.4 Gig Tualatin into my bx mobo and it works a
    > treat. cost was 70 bucks i.i.r.c. and it comes with its own heatsink
    > with a longer mounting bracket.
    >
    > Alternatively you can have my old Coppermine Celeron 600 if you want
    > it but I doubt that that would be an improvement over a PIII 500
    > <grin>.
    >
    > -Peter

    There are some converters on Trademe at the 'mo

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jul 12, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    Master Tech Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm in trouble with the missus. Her system is running a Katmai PIII 500 and
    >she uses it for playing the same games I play and she's getting upset that
    >my machine runs these games a lot more smoothly than hers. She has a
    >reasonable video card (same as mine) so it's CPU replacement-time or I'm in
    >the dog-box.
    >
    >Her board is a BX slot-1 board (coppermine-compatable) but I have a very
    >good slocket and have no trouble running socket 370 CPUs in the same board.
    >The BIOS allows settings up to 155Mhz FSB so a 133 would be fine.
    >
    >So I guess I'm looking for a 650 or faster CPU, the faster the better. I can
    >swap for a GeForce 2-400MX/64Mb RAM AGP, a Seagate 10gig HDD or I can come
    >up with some cash given a week or so. Or any combination of the preceeding
    >depending on CPU speed. I'll pay before you send it if you have one, don't
    >worry.
    >
    >So, can anyone help me? Please? I would like to keep her happy and am unable
    >top fork out for a board/CPU/RAM combo and I can't buy one of these beasties
    >from a shop.
    >
    >Please help if you can, I don't need the grief!! You can email me at
    >misfit(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    PP list the 1G PIII..

    Master Tech, Jul 12, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <oBvPa.76409$>,
    > > misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    > > >
    > > > I've thought abuot doing the Tualatin mod myself but am not sure I'm

    > capable
    > > > of getting it right and I can't afford to ruin a CPU or have one that

    > > > can't use. A shame really as I can get a Celly Tualatin new still

    quite
    > > > cheaply. Still a lot of money for me though.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the input.
    > > > --
    > > > ~misfit~

    > > if you are weary of doing the mod: Ascent will sell you an adapter that
    > > allows you to put a tualatin chip into a bx mobo. It's not on their
    > > website - call them and ask for Giri, he dug one up for me no problem.
    > > Upgradeware 370-GU
    > > I used it to stick a 1.4 Gig Tualatin into my bx mobo and it works a
    > > treat. cost was 70 bucks i.i.r.c. and it comes with its own heatsink

    with
    > > a longer mounting bracket.

    > Thanks Peter, I'm aware of the Upgradeware products, still a little pricey
    > for me when I'd still have to buy a Tully CPU as well.
    >
    > > Alternatively you can have my old Coppermine Celeron 600 if you want it
    > > but I doubt that that would be an improvement over a PIII 500 <grin>.

    > Not much improvement over the PII 500 you're right. Would be good for my

    mp3
    > player/friends-who-visit-and-want-to-use-a-'puter machine though. It's
    > currently running a Celly Mendicino 400 and a mate has been visiting and
    > playing Diablo 2 on it and it's a bit jerky. It has a GeForce 2 in it. Can
    > you please email me so we can discuss it? misfit(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz.
    >
    > Thanks heaps.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    The above should have read "PIII 500". Doh!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2003