    Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com
    TIA
    Julius
    Oedipus Rex, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Oedipus Rex

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:07:22 +1300, Oedipus Rex <> wrote:

    >The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    >LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    >I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    >version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.
    >Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com
    >TIA
    >Julius

    No as that is not allowed as its a Commercial product, go buy it..
    Paul Mathews, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Oedipus Rex

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi Julius,

    > The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    > LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    > I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    > version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.

    I have just confirmed that the full version of LindowsOS is proprietary
    and cannot be freely distributed:
    <http://help.lindows.com/cgi-bin/lindows.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=440>

    However, there are also 3rd-party components in LindowsOS which are not
    GPL (installer, Click-N-Run, fonts, spelling checkers, web browser,
    email client, etc.). These components can not legally be redistributed
    under the GPL. Only authorized copies of LindowsOS which have been
    purchased for resell from our Reseller Program can legally contain all
    the software needed for a full and complete copy of LindowsOS.

    There may be a New Zealand reseller of LindowsOS but I suspect the cost
    would still be similar to purchasing the full version from the U.S.

    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam Warner, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Oedipus Rex

    Robert Guest

    Re: LindowsOS

    It is a bootable Lindows CD so is very slow to use.
    It isn't the installation media.

    Robert, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Hi there,

    Paul Mathews wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:07:22 +1300, Oedipus Rex <> wrote:
    >

    >>The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    >>LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    >>I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    >>version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.
    >>Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com
    >>TIA
    >>Julius

    > No as that is not allowed as its a Commercial product, go buy it..

    If you really like it, then yes go buy it. On another note I had a
    play with the live CD too, and while it was cool to play with I did
    not really find it that much different from my Mandrake 9.1/KDE 3.1
    system. The only real differences are a different icon set, a more
    self-explanatory K menu setup, a more Windows-alike 'control panel'
    system, and some generic renaming of specific types of apps so people
    don't have to go thru the documentation to find out what each piece
    of software does.

    You'll be able to get a linux distro from a local PC shop or two for
    not more than $20, and local user groups will probably support your
    linux questions better than Lindows support system due to being more
    local...

    When I manage to crack the LiveCD filesystem onto my hard disk I'll
    be letting people know... :)

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Oedipus Rex

    max Guest

    Re: LindowsOS

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:03:29 +1300, "Robert" <>
    wrote:

    >It is a bootable Lindows CD so is very slow to use.
    >It isn't the installation media.
    >
    ><Oedipus Rex> wrote in message
    >> The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    >> LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    >> I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    >> version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.
    >> Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com
    >> TIA
    >> Julius

    But you can make it into a USB key, which will be much faster, but you
    need to buy the full version for all the features of the full version.
    max, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Oedipus Rex

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, Oedipus Rex <>
    says...
    > The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    > LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    > I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    > version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.
    > Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com

    What do you think we are, warez hounds? I see enough info in your ISP
    headers to trace you.
    Mainlander, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Oedipus Rex

    Steven H Guest

    Re: LindowsOS

    In article <>,
    says...

    > But you can make it into a USB key, which will be much faster, but you
    > need to buy the full version for all the features of the full version.

    thats if you can get the fucker to work

    boots ok but all i got was a login prompt, go figure, you need a
    doctorate in nerd to get it running.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Oedipus Rex

    Oedipus Rex Guest

    I have no intention of thieving any software.
    If you have the time to waste tracking me down, you should go join a
    community program and give some of your energy to more productive
    persuits.

    Oedipus Rex, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Oedipus Rex

    Oedipus Rex Guest

    Thanks Chris for your informative discussion.
    I perhaps should have mentioned that Lindows.com allow "resellers/OEM"
    up to 100 system installs of LindowsOS per month, and I believe the
    annual fee for this is US$99.
    I have been very careful with my shekels ever since Brutus stabbed me
    in the back! hence my unwillingness to fork out so much dosh for
    something I may not take to....
    Keep me posted if you can transfer the CD onto a hard drive <g>

    Oedipus Rex, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Oedipus Rex

    Oedipus Rex Guest

    As always, Adam, thanks for your helpful comments.

    Oedipus Rex, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Oedipus Rex

    Oedipus Rex Guest

    Short and to the point.
    I may even do that.....
    Julius

    Oedipus Rex, Oct 19, 2003
  13. Oedipus Rex

    pbs Guest

    Paul Mathews wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:07:22 +1300, Oedipus Rex <> wrote:
    >

    >>The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    >>LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    >>I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    >>version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.
    >>Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com
    >>TIA
    >>Julius

    > No as that is not allowed as its a Commercial product, go buy it..

    I have never used Lindows but because of this thread I went and had a
    look at their web site. It is very well presented. But I did a quick
    google on "Lindows 4.0 root" and it seems to confirm what I had seen in
    other threads. Lindows is designed for people moving from MS windows and
    has traded security for ease of use, so the default user is root, (in
    the GUI root is called "administrator" to make it more familiar to MS
    windows users) and when during installation, the installer asks for a
    password you can just enter return. Therefor it is very easy to set up a
    system with only a "super user" and no password.

    If this is true, then Lindows will be as dangerous to run as MS Win9x
    and be almost as open to attack as Microsoft's products are. If you are
    thinking about getting a commercial Linux there are lots standard
    distributions which do not have this flaw. For example here is a Kiwi
    distribution with an address in Auckland (So you know where they live!):
    http://www.yoper.com
    pbs, Oct 19, 2003
  14. Oedipus Rex

    techie Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:20:28 -0500, pbs wrote:

    > If this is true, then Lindows will be as dangerous to run as MS Win9x
    > and be almost as open to attack as Microsoft's products are. If you are
    > thinking about getting a commercial Linux there are lots standard
    > distributions which do not have this flaw. For example here is a Kiwi
    > distribution with an address in Auckland (So you know where they live!):
    > http://www.yoper.com

    Lindows is an abomination. A lot of consumers are forming their first
    opinions of Linux based on that piece of crapware. IME people who are
    burned by Lindows are more likely to go crawling back to Windows and
    stay there, than "risk" moving on to a real Linux distribution.

    --
    ____ ___ _______ ____ ___
    / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \ / __/ < / http://www.FreeBSD.org
    techie, Oct 19, 2003
  15. Oedipus Rex

    T.N.O. Guest

    "techie" wrote
    > > If this is true, then Lindows will be as dangerous to run as MS Win9x
    > > and be almost as open to attack as Microsoft's products are. If you are
    > > thinking about getting a commercial Linux there are lots standard
    > > distributions which do not have this flaw. For example here is a Kiwi
    > > distribution with an address in Auckland (So you know where they live!):
    > > http://www.yoper.com

    > Lindows is an abomination. A lot of consumers are forming their first
    > opinions of Linux based on that piece of crapware. IME people who are
    > burned by Lindows are more likely to go crawling back to Windows and
    > stay there, than "risk" moving on to a real Linux distribution.

    I played with a beta of Lindows, and because it only had "administrator" I
    made other user accounts for myself and my fiance... really users have to
    learn not to run things(anything) as root/admin(unless they are admining the
    machine of course)
    T.N.O., Oct 19, 2003
  16. Oedipus Rex

    harry Guest

    "pbs" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Mathews wrote:
    > > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:07:22 +1300, Oedipus Rex <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>The current issue of APC Mag (Oct 2003) has a fully working version of
    > >>LindowsOS, named appropriately, LindowsCD.
    > >>I wonder if anyone would make available to me a copy of the full
    > >>version - LindowsOS? The cost from the US is over NZ$100.
    > >>Please post here or email: caesar at perpetuus dot com
    > >>TIA
    > >>Julius

    > > No as that is not allowed as its a Commercial product, go buy it..

    > I have never used Lindows but because of this thread I went and had a
    > look at their web site. It is very well presented. But I did a quick
    > google on "Lindows 4.0 root" and it seems to confirm what I had seen in
    > other threads. Lindows is designed for people moving from MS windows and
    > has traded security for ease of use, so the default user is root, (in
    > the GUI root is called "administrator" to make it more familiar to MS
    > windows users) and when during installation, the installer asks for a
    > password you can just enter return. Therefor it is very easy to set up a
    > system with only a "super user" and no password.
    >
    > If this is true, then Lindows will be as dangerous to run as MS Win9x
    > and be almost as open to attack as Microsoft's products are. If you are
    > thinking about getting a commercial Linux there are lots standard
    > distributions which do not have this flaw. For example here is a Kiwi
    > distribution with an address in Auckland (So you know where they live!):
    > http://www.yoper.com

    The comparison to Win 9x is a bit harsh.
    Windows 9x has no firewall, you can share root with the world - Lindows has
    a firewall turned on by default.
    Windows 9x ran bad stuff received in email automatically, integrated the
    default
    address book and built the anti-virus industry into what it is today.
    Lindows has reduced security, but only to the user, not to the internet.
    That is probably to simpify the use of click n run.
    Its based on Debian, so you can just go ahead and adduser if you want to
    setup user accounts.
    Most OS can be setup with no logon password and admin privileges, it doesn't
    automatically leave them open to attack, it just means they are simple
    single user systems that will probably need to be reinstalled if you delete
    stuff that you shouldn't.
    Lindows does a system restore from the CD which retains the user settings,
    so newbie cockups aren't completely fatal, and the freedom to educate
    yourself with Linux comes bundled with cockup potential in all distros.
    I think thats quite good for a "My First Linux", and doing a
    sidegrade/upgrade to Debian "testing" would make an interesting HowTo
    project.
    harry, Oct 19, 2003
  17. Oedipus Rex

    harry Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "techie" wrote
    > > > If this is true, then Lindows will be as dangerous to run as MS Win9x
    > > > and be almost as open to attack as Microsoft's products are. If you

    are
    > > > thinking about getting a commercial Linux there are lots standard
    > > > distributions which do not have this flaw. For example here is a Kiwi
    > > > distribution with an address in Auckland (So you know where they

    live!):
    > > > http://www.yoper.com

    > > Lindows is an abomination. A lot of consumers are forming their first
    > > opinions of Linux based on that piece of crapware. IME people who are
    > > burned by Lindows are more likely to go crawling back to Windows and
    > > stay there, than "risk" moving on to a real Linux distribution.

    > I played with a beta of Lindows, and because it only had "administrator" I
    > made other user accounts for myself and my fiance... really users have to
    > learn not to run things(anything) as root/admin(unless they are admining

    the
    > machine of course)

    Thats really only recommended good practice though.
    I have had to run as root for all sorts of things like CD burning and
    ripping, software installation, etc until I figure out the various
    permissions, its not dangerous.
    You can be too obsessed with security, after all it doesn't worry Windows
    users. ;)
    You can set the login of any Linux box up the same as Lindows, its all user
    / admin definable stuff.
    If people get "burned by Lindows" then so be it, far from being an
    abomination, it is exactly the same as "real Linux distributions".
    Theres no point spazzing out about "crapware".
    All the Debian documentation, help sites and mailing lists apply.
    If you have set no root password, just type passwd and set one.
    harry, Oct 20, 2003
  18. Oedipus Rex

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, Oedipus Rex <>
    says...
    > I have no intention of thieving any software.

    You asked for a copy of a commercial licensed product. I bet the license
    prohits piracy.
    Mainlander, Oct 20, 2003
  19. Oedipus Rex

    pbs Guest

    harry wrote:
    > "pbs" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Paul Mathews wrote:

    >>>No as that is not allowed as its a Commercial product, go buy it..

    >>I have never used Lindows but because of this thread I went and had a
    >>look at their web site. It is very well presented. But I did a quick
    >>google on "Lindows 4.0 root" and it seems to confirm what I had seen in
    >>other threads. Lindows is designed for people moving from MS windows and
    >>has traded security for ease of use, so the default user is root, (in
    >>the GUI root is called "administrator" to make it more familiar to MS
    >>windows users) and when during installation, the installer asks for a
    >>password you can just enter return. Therefor it is very easy to set up a
    >>system with only a "super user" and no password.
    >>
    >>If this is true, then Lindows will be as dangerous to run as MS Win9x
    >>and be almost as open to attack as Microsoft's products are. If you are
    >>thinking about getting a commercial Linux there are lots standard
    >>distributions which do not have this flaw. For example here is a Kiwi
    >>distribution with an address in Auckland (So you know where they live!):
    >>http://www.yoper.com
    >>

    > The comparison to Win 9x is a bit harsh.
    > Windows 9x has no firewall, you can share root with the world - Lindows has
    > a firewall turned on by default.
    > Windows 9x ran bad stuff received in email automatically, integrated the
    > default
    > address book and built the anti-virus industry into what it is today.
    > Lindows has reduced security, but only to the user, not to the internet.
    > That is probably to simpify the use of click n run.

    There have been a number of usenet threads on WOruses in this and Linux
    specific usenet groups over the last month or two. One of the saving
    graces about the common Linux setups is that users do not run things as
    root unless they have to. Therefor if they get a WOrus then the damage
    will be probably be limited to one user account. If inexperienced people
    are going to set up machines with only one user and that user is root with
    password, then sooner or later these machines will be the target of a WOrus.

    This does no favours to the victims -- because they do not deserve to
    have their system trashed because just because they have been given bad
    advice. Microsoft have been moving their Windows user base towards the
    standard UNIX (and NT) practice of ordinary and administrative users.
    IMHO it is irresponsible for anyone to sell a popular OS, which does not
    require any level of security when attaching it to the internet. I would
    hope that product liability would leave any distributer open to a class
    action if the users suffered damages because of it.

    If Lindows becomes really popular and there is a WOrus which trashes the
    Lindows OS, then you can bet that Microsoft will use it as propaganda to
    set back the uptake of Open Source Systems (OSS) by years and possibly
    for ever. For this reason Lindows is not doing the OSS community any
    favours.

    [Frm you other posting to this thread]
    > Thats really only recommended good practice though.
    > I have had to run as root for all sorts of things like CD burning and
    > ripping, software installation, etc until I figure out the various
    > permissions, its not dangerous.

    It is quite possible to set up system at installation so that there is
    an administrator *with password* and [an] ordinary user. Red Hat
    Linux allows access to root "system" applications (like CD burning and
    software installation) via an ordinary user GUI menues, but it ask for
    the root password (once in each session?) before running the process.
    This seems to me a sane way to allow UNIX users a compromise between
    security and ease of use.
    pbs, Oct 20, 2003
  20. Oedipus Rex

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:49:55 +1300, harry wrote:

    > The comparison to Win 9x is a bit harsh. Windows 9x has no firewall, you
    > can share root with the world - Lindows has a firewall turned on by
    > default.
    > Windows 9x ran bad stuff received in email automatically, integrated the
    > default
    > address book and built the anti-virus industry into what it is today.

    Actually in some ways once you had turned off file sharing on your
    internet connection Win95 was relatively safe - there weren't really many
    other services listening (in fact there weren't many services at all).

    Sure there was no local security, and no way of restricting
    viruses/trojans once they got there. But in terms of firewall type stuff
    it was a little like old Mac OSes - nothing listening.

    In comparison, NT and Unix were more secure in terms of features (ie
    users, file system permissions etc) but in other ways more vulnerable due
    to the numerous services they ran (and had to run being servers).

    That was then though, now that tcp/ip is now the common LAN protocol and
    the spread of all kinds of apps that do listen to the net mean that you
    can't rely on that concept anymore with Win9x.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 20, 2003