    originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
    generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.

    Any assistance gratefully appreciated....
    GL, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Re: Compaq Deskpro PSU

    GL wrote:
    > Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU
    > for a Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down
    > at the moment courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if
    > they flicked the 230-115v switch on the back.
    >
    > Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the
    > machines originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is
    > different to that of generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or
    > similar.
    >
    > Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

    can you not re-wire the connectors off the old psu's to new generic items?
    shouldn't be too hard for a competant service person.

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Oct 13, 2003

  3. GL

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <> wrote:

    >Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for a
    >Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the moment
    >courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
    >230-115v switch on the back.
    >
    >Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the machines
    >originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
    >generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
    >
    >Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

    Just replace the internal fuse..
    Paul Mathews, Oct 13, 2003
  4. GL

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <> wrote:

    >Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for a
    >Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the moment
    >courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
    >230-115v switch on the back.
    >
    >Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the machines
    >originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
    >generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
    >
    >Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

    Just replace the internal fuse..

    Then hot glue the voltage selector..
    Paul Mathews, Oct 13, 2003
  5. GL

    pete Guest

    "Paul Mathews" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for

    > >Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the

    moment
    > >courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
    > >230-115v switch on the back.
    > >
    > >Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the

    machines
    > >originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
    > >generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
    > >
    > >Any assistance gratefully appreciated....
    > >

    > Just replace the internal fuse..

    Not very often you get that lucky. The fuse is there as the last resort
    protection. By the time the fuse has blown, there will be quite a few other
    components that have let the smoke out.

    pete, Oct 13, 2003
  6. GL

    GL Guest

    (Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
    possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
    tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

    GL, Oct 13, 2003
  7. GL

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "GL" <> wrote in message
    > (Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
    > possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
    > tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

    I've done that in the past too. On some machines I've supplied to households
    where there is either children or tamperers and there is a voltage switch on
    the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2003
  8. GL

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "GL" <> wrote in message
    >> (Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
    >> possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
    >> tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

    > I've done that in the past too. On some machines I've supplied to households
    > where there is either children or tamperers and there is a voltage switch on
    > the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.

    Heck, on one of my machines I had to push the floppy drive back far enough
    to put a faceplate on that slot - one of the kids broke the original drive
    by pushing a Matchbox car into it.

    They liked pressing the power or reset buttons at weird times, too, little
    brats.

    Cheers

    Richard, Oct 14, 2003
  9. GL

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:38:58 +1300, "GL" <> wrote:

    >(Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
    >possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
    >tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

    I still think its worth getting them fixed as the replacement will cost heaps
    for the same brand.

    Take them to a good TV repair shop and ask for a quote.

    We fix these things at my place of work, a local TV repair shop.

    Paul Mathews, Oct 14, 2003
  10. GL

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.

    Hot Glue is good for this, just fill in the hole, but it is still readable.
    T.N.O., Oct 14, 2003
  11. GL

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.

    > Hot Glue is good for this, just fill in the hole, but it is still

    readable.

    Yep. That's what I use. Hot glue is great.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2003