    slots anyway.

    Thanx
    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Jul 16, 2004

  2. In article <40f8634f$>, says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot in socketA
    > mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net access and were
    > wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    >
    > They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter should it
    > and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I thought they could try
    > these out. Can't seem to find any online and one machine has no spare pci
    > slots anyway.

    Very rare and from what I hear not that good. USB external is your best
    bet.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 17, 2004

  3. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <40f8634f$>, says...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot in
    >> socketA mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net
    >> access and were wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    >>
    >> They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter
    >> should it and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I
    >> thought they could try these out. Can't seem to find any online and
    >> one machine has no spare pci slots anyway.

    > Very rare and from what I hear not that good. USB external is your
    > best bet.

    Someone here mentioned that he had a whole heap of them and was willing to
    part with some a while ago. I'd like to know who it was and if he still has
    some, I wouldn't find trying a couple out. I have a few boards that take
    them so they can't be all *that* bad.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 17, 2004
  4. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100492

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Jul 17, 2004
  5. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > bAZZ wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot in

    socketA
    > > mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net access and

    were
    > > wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    > >
    > > They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter should

    it
    > > and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I thought they could

    try
    > > these out. Can't seem to find any online and one machine has no spare

    pci
    > > slots anyway.
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > > bAZZ
    > >

    > http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100492
    >
    > --
    > EMB
    > change two to number to reply

    Thanking you.

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Jul 17, 2004
  6. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <40f8634f$>, says...
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot in
    > >> socketA mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net
    > >> access and were wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    > >>
    > >> They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter
    > >> should it and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I
    > >> thought they could try these out. Can't seem to find any online and
    > >> one machine has no spare pci slots anyway.

    > > Very rare and from what I hear not that good. USB external is your
    > > best bet.

    > Someone here mentioned that he had a whole heap of them and was willing to
    > part with some a while ago. I'd like to know who it was and if he still

    has
    > some, I wouldn't find trying a couple out. I have a few boards that take
    > them so they can't be all *that* bad.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Duh. I now remember that thread. Groups google will help no doubt.

    cheers misfit

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Jul 17, 2004
  7. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>> In article <40f8634f$>, says...

    >>> Very rare and from what I hear not that good. USB external is your
    >>> best bet.

    >> Someone here mentioned that he had a whole heap of them and was
    >> willing to part with some a while ago. I'd like to know who it was
    >> and if he still has some, I wouldn't find trying a couple out. I
    >> have a few boards that take them so they can't be all *that* bad.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Duh. I now remember that thread. Groups google will help no doubt.
    >
    > cheers misfit

    No sweat, let me know how you go, if it's Ok with the OP, when you find it.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 17, 2004
  8. In article <mvZJc.1156$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    mung.co.nz says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <40f8634f$>, says...
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot in
    > >> socketA mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net
    > >> access and were wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    > >>
    > >> They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter
    > >> should it and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I
    > >> thought they could try these out. Can't seem to find any online and
    > >> one machine has no spare pci slots anyway.

    > > Very rare and from what I hear not that good. USB external is your
    > > best bet.

    > Someone here mentioned that he had a whole heap of them and was willing to
    > part with some a while ago. I'd like to know who it was and if he still has
    > some, I wouldn't find trying a couple out. I have a few boards that take
    > them so they can't be all *that* bad.

    Never seen or heard from them, just heard from an industry site that they
    were pretty rare and not up to much.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 17, 2004
  9. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <mvZJc.1156$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    > mung.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> Someone here mentioned that he had a whole heap of them and was
    >> willing to part with some a while ago. I'd like to know who it was
    >> and if he still has some, I wouldn't find trying a couple out. I
    >> have a few boards that take them so they can't be all *that* bad.

    > Never seen or heard from them, just heard from an industry site that
    > they were pretty rare and not up to much.

    I'm sure someone around here said a while ago that they had, like 50 or 100
    of them and offered a few to someone. I assumed they'd obtained them cheaply
    at auction. <Shrug>, I could be wrong, I Googled the two groups for CNR and
    only found these posts. Maybe I didn't go back far enough.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 17, 2004
  10. bAZZ

    Divine Guest

    > They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter
    > should it and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I
    > thought they could try these out. Can't seem to find any online and
    > one machine has no spare pci slots anyway.

    Quay Computers presently have a ton of older modems - both internal and
    external that are very cheap indeed.

    So, if the speed of the WWW is not important - ie if 33k6 modems would
    suffice - have a look at their old stuff.

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult
    Divine, Jul 17, 2004
  11. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >>In article <mvZJc.1156$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    >>mung.co.nz says...
    >>
    >>>Someone here mentioned that he had a whole heap of them and was
    >>>willing to part with some a while ago. I'd like to know who it was
    >>>and if he still has some, I wouldn't find trying a couple out. I
    >>>have a few boards that take them so they can't be all *that* bad.

    >>Never seen or heard from them, just heard from an industry site that
    >>they were pretty rare and not up to much.

    > I'm sure someone around here said a while ago that they had, like 50 or 100
    > of them and offered a few to someone. I assumed they'd obtained them cheaply
    > at auction. <Shrug>, I could be wrong, I Googled the two groups for CNR and
    > only found these posts. Maybe I didn't go back far enough.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yeah me too -:)

    Tried all sorts keywords and no luck. Get some time later I may dig
    around some more.

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Jul 18, 2004
  12. bAZZ

    rua Guest

    "bAZZ" <> wrote in news::

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> bAZZ wrote:
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot
    >> > in

    > socketA
    >> > mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net access
    >> > and

    > were
    >> > wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    >> >
    >> > They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter
    >> > should

    > it
    >> > and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I thought they
    >> > could

    > try
    >> > these out. Can't seem to find any online and one machine has no
    >> > spare

    > pci
    >> > slots anyway.
    >> >
    >> > Thanx
    >> > bAZZ
    >> >

    >> http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100492
    >>
    >> --
    >> EMB
    >> change two to number to reply

    > Thanking you.
    >
    > bAZZ

    why not get a PCI modem? $10+GST

    http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100499
    rua, Jul 19, 2004
  13. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    rua wrote:
    > "bAZZ" <> wrote in news::
    >

    >> one machine has no spare pci slots anyway.

    > why not get a PCI modem? $10+GST

    Why not read the post before replying?

    EMB, Jul 19, 2004
  14. bAZZ

    rua Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:cdfdh1$7ff$:

    > rua wrote:
    >> "bAZZ" <> wrote in news::
    >>

    >>> one machine has no spare pci slots anyway.

    >> why not get a PCI modem? $10+GST
    >>

    > Why not read the post before replying?

    did that.

    >They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter should it
    >and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I thought they could
    >try
    >these out. Can't seem to find any online and one machine has no spare pci
    >slots anyway.

    I deduce that 1 of them has a spare PCI slot. fits in with that little
    dollars thing, too.
    rua, Jul 19, 2004
  15. In article <40f8634f$>, says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am after 2 of those little cnr modems that go in the small slot in socketA
    > mthbd. They are for friends who have no modem but no net access and were
    > wanting to get online to see this interweb thingy.
    >
    > They have late model 2000+ athlon so cpu drain shouldn't matter should it
    > and want to spend little dollars on proper modem so I thought they could try
    > these out. Can't seem to find any online and one machine has no spare pci
    > slots anyway.

    The slot is called an AMR (Audio Modem Riser) and modems are also called
    AMR modems. Such modems should be very cheap as they have very little
    hardware with the CPU doing most of the work (like a winmodem).
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 20, 2004
  16. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > The slot is called an AMR (Audio Modem Riser) and modems are also called
    > AMR modems. Such modems should be very cheap as they have very little
    > hardware with the CPU doing most of the work (like a winmodem).

    Nope! CNR - Communications Network Riser - same idea, different
    architecture and connector.

    EMB, Jul 20, 2004
  17. EMB wrote:
    >> The slot is called an AMR (Audio Modem Riser) and modems are also
    >> called AMR modems. Such modems should be very cheap as they have very
    >> little hardware with the CPU doing most of the work (like a winmodem).

    > Nope! CNR - Communications Network Riser - same idea, different
    > architecture and connector.

    Actually if it's an AMD based mobo, it probably is an AMR rather than a
    CNR... isnt it?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2004
  18. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >>> The slot is called an AMR (Audio Modem Riser) and modems are also
    >>> called AMR modems. Such modems should be very cheap as they have very
    >>> little hardware with the CPU doing most of the work (like a winmodem).

    >> Nope! CNR - Communications Network Riser - same idea, different
    >> architecture and connector.

    > Actually if it's an AMD based mobo, it probably is an AMR rather than a
    > CNR... isnt it?

    AMR is the Intel spec - so I doubt it'll appear on AMD boards.

    EMB, Jul 20, 2004
  19. EMB wrote:

    >>> Nope! CNR - Communications Network Riser - same idea, different
    >>> architecture and connector.

    >> Actually if it's an AMD based mobo, it probably is an AMR rather than
    >> a CNR... isnt it?

    > AMR is the Intel spec - so I doubt it'll appear on AMD boards.

    my mistake... so CNR was the AMD spec?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2004
  20. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > my mistake... so CNR was the AMD spec?

    IIRC (becoming increasingly dubious as time passes) CNR came about from
    a group of "OEM" manufacturers defining a de-facto standard. It has
    always seemed to me a standard that nobody really wanted or needed as
    most PC's have inbuilt networking and the only modem that's really worth
    having is an external one (preferably on the far side of a firewall).

    EMB, Jul 20, 2004