    If you have one please let me know. I only need the viewfinder part
    that is attached to the main body, unfortunately Kodak only sell this
    as a kit and require AUS$225 for the kit, they won't split the parts.

    Gareth Hall, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Gareth Hall

    Jerry Guest

    I went through the same thing on another camera (35mm) and was offered a
    similar price quote on a view screen replacement.
    It only comes as a kit and only one kind fits they said.

    However I found a place that sent me the view screen for $17.00 that
    included a $5.00 shipping charge so if I could walk or drive to their
    location I'd got it for $12.00.

    I guess what I am saying here is, that you can find a better replacement.

    Oh and the replacement for my 35mm view screen was better than the original.

    Somewhere someone has a clone for you for a very low price just look for it.

    Good Luck,

    Jerry

    Jerry, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Gareth Hall

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Gareth Hall" <> wrote in message
    > If you have one please let me know. I only need the viewfinder part
    > that is attached to the main body, unfortunately Kodak only sell this
    > as a kit and require AUS$225 for the kit, they won't split the parts.

    Seriously I don't know why you would bother spending any money on a CX4230.
    I got one a couple of years ago when my 2yo DC3400 met it's death due to a
    collision with a rock. At the time the 4230 was about $500 (compared to the
    $1000 I paid for the 3400). After putting up with the 4230 for a few
    months, I repaired the 3400 and it still remains my main P&S. Compared to
    the 3400, the 4230 is slow (at least 1/2 sec to fire, sometimes as long as 3
    seconds), and has very poor image quality, even though both are 2MP cams.
    The 4230 seems to have a more agressive JPEG compression algorithm that
    results in many more JPEG artifacts. Prints from the 3400 are still good at
    10x8 whereas the 4230 is noticeably chunky at 7x5. In this respect the 4230
    seems to behave more like a 1.3MP cam than a 2MP cam.
    If I was you, I'd either try to get a cheap 2nd hand cam (I'd heartily
    recommend a DC3400), or spend about $300AUS and get a Fuji A330 or Olympus
    C310, which are far better cameras than the 4230.(maybe a kodak CX7330, but
    my 4230 experience has turned me off the cheap kodaks). If you really want a
    4230, I'll sell you mine for $200 :p

    Justin Thyme, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Gareth Hall

    Gareth Hall Guest

    "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Gareth Hall" <> wrote in message
    > > If you have one please let me know. I only need the viewfinder part
    > > that is attached to the main body, unfortunately Kodak only sell this
    > > as a kit and require AUS$225 for the kit, they won't split the parts.

    > Seriously I don't know why you would bother spending any money on a CX4230.
    > I got one a couple of years ago when my 2yo DC3400 met it's death due to a
    > collision with a rock. At the time the 4230 was about $500 (compared to the
    > $1000 I paid for the 3400). After putting up with the 4230 for a few
    > months, I repaired the 3400 and it still remains my main P&S. Compared to
    > the 3400, the 4230 is slow (at least 1/2 sec to fire, sometimes as long as 3
    > seconds), and has very poor image quality, even though both are 2MP cams.
    > The 4230 seems to have a more agressive JPEG compression algorithm that
    > results in many more JPEG artifacts. Prints from the 3400 are still good at
    > 10x8 whereas the 4230 is noticeably chunky at 7x5. In this respect the 4230
    > seems to behave more like a 1.3MP cam than a 2MP cam.
    > If I was you, I'd either try to get a cheap 2nd hand cam (I'd heartily
    > recommend a DC3400), or spend about $300AUS and get a Fuji A330 or Olympus
    > C310, which are far better cameras than the 4230.(maybe a kodak CX7330, but
    > my 4230 experience has turned me off the cheap kodaks). If you really want a
    > 4230, I'll sell you mine for $200 :p

    The cx4230 suits my needs for taking pictures, simple as that. I also
    have a dock, if I brought a better model I would then need to buy a
    new dock, something I don't want to do.

    Gareth Hall, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Gareth Hall

    Gareth Hall Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message news:<l1YOc.4819$>...
    > I went through the same thing on another camera (35mm) and was offered a
    > similar price quote on a view screen replacement.
    > It only comes as a kit and only one kind fits they said.
    >
    > However I found a place that sent me the view screen for $17.00 that
    > included a $5.00 shipping charge so if I could walk or drive to their
    > location I'd got it for $12.00.
    >
    > I guess what I am saying here is, that you can find a better replacement.
    >
    > Oh and the replacement for my 35mm view screen was better than the original.
    >
    > Somewhere someone has a clone for you for a very low price just look for it.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Jerry

    Thanks for the tips, didn't think anyone would make aftermarket parts,
    I'll grab the parts list and see what i can find.

    Gareth Hall, Aug 4, 2004