    reply to the newsgroup first, cheers

    paul
    (auckland)

    Paul Gunson, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Paul Gunson

    Phillip Guest

    Re: 2nd hand AthlonMP CPUs/motherboards

    I have Asus A7M266-D with dual AMD XP2100+ processors. These have been
    running since New as MP2100+ and are detected by Windows XP Pro as such. Was
    professionally setup prior to my purchase.

    I'm not sure if I will sell but am happy for you to contact and discuss
    making an offer :)

    ps MY ISP IS ezysurf. IT IS co YOU KNOW WERE. Hopefully vague enough to
    avoid SPAM :)

    Phillip Scandle

    Phillip, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Phillip wrote:
    > I have Asus A7M266-D with dual AMD XP2100+ processors. These have been
    > running since New as MP2100+ and are detected by Windows XP Pro as such. Was
    > professionally setup prior to my purchase.
    >
    > I'm not sure if I will sell but am happy for you to contact and discuss
    > making an offer :)
    >
    > ps MY ISP IS ezysurf. IT IS co YOU KNOW WERE. Hopefully vague enough to
    > avoid SPAM :)

    i tried e-mailing u with 'phillip' as the first part of the e-mail but
    it was bounced ;) no worries i just realised i will need to buy an OS
    when i put together the machine, so might as well buy all components
    from ascent or something and get XP-OEM.

    otherwise i might have been interested in the motherboard... but i am
    pretty set on dual 2800+ for 3D rendering.

    regards
    -paul

    ps. what r u using your dual setup for? :)

    Paul Gunson, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Paul Gunson

    Phillip Guest

    Re: 2nd hand AthlonMP CPUs/motherboards

    > ps. what r u using your dual setup for? :)

    Nothing much really. I'm only just setting it up with a Raid card & will use
    it for video compression & Digital Photography. I want to make large
    panoramic photos & experiment with editing them for artistic results.

    I'm just starting out doing work as a programmer (which doesn't need that
    much grunt) and it will allow me to test my software on a Dual platform to
    test performance.

    > i tried e-mailing u with 'phillip' as the first part of the e-mail but
    > it was bounced ;)

    BTW my user name is "ps" I should have prefixed it more clearly :(

    > i am pretty set on dual 2800+ for 3D rendering.

    I went through a short phase of looking at 3D but didn't have the grunt.
    Your mentioning might get me exploring what's out there again.

    Looking at Ascent a number of MP boards only support 1.53 / 1.900 GHz+ ? The
    Tyan S2460 on special I believe only (officially) supports upto 1.9 GHz
    (check CPU support on Tyan's website).

    Also check out the speed of the 64bit PCI slots. I bought a cheap Raid
    ATA100 card but it & my board support 66mhz PCI so it will run faster :)

    Have a look at reviews for what supports the 2800+ best. I'm envious. As Tim
    Taylor would say " more power ... :)"

    Cheers

    Phillip

    Phillip, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Phillip wrote:

    > Looking at Ascent a number of MP boards only support 1.53 / 1.900

    GHz+ ? The
    > Tyan S2460 on special I believe only (officially) supports upto 1.9 GHz
    > (check CPU support on Tyan's website).

    the MSI or Gigabyte boards should go all the way up, yeah the S2460 is
    heinously outdated, i think latest (and last) Tyan dual-MP board was the
    Thunder S2469.

    > Also check out the speed of the 64bit PCI slots. I bought a cheap Raid
    > ATA100 card but it & my board support 66mhz PCI so it will run faster :)

    yeah i definitely want something with 64bit PCI-X slots (i have a GbE
    PCI-X network card for my future renderfarm :) but dual Opteron or Xeon
    are way expensive, and dual-Xeon is still slower than dual
    Athlon-MPs.... one thing i noticed is that all MPX boards have PCI-X
    slots which go up to 66MHz, unlike Opteron and some Xeon boards which go
    up to 133MHz...? not sure how much of a difference that makes...

    Paul Gunson, Jan 25, 2004