    show the statuses of each port?
    Thank You
    , Mar 27, 2008

  2. Trendkill Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:18 am, wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    > I have a 3550 and the customer that returned it said that port 7 was
    > bad. How exactly do i go about testing the port? any command that will
    > show the statuses of each port?
    > Thank You

    Put port 7 as an access port in a vlan (pick one), connect a pc or
    laptop to it. Connect another PC in another port (pick one), but
    ensure that it is set as an access port in the same vlan as port 7.
    Put both nodes in the same layer 3 network (192.168.0.1 and
    192.168.0.2 as an example - with 255.255.255.0 netmask), and run ping
    tests. If that works, then layer 2 is working appropriately. Its
    possible that it has a higher level problem with port 7, but
    unlikely. Make sure you match speed/duplex settings as well on ports/
    pcs or laptops.

    Show ip int brief will show ports. Show interface f0/7 or g0/7 should
    show interface statistics to see if something obvious is wrong. If
    the port refuses to come up when you do the stuff above, then the port
    may indeed be bad (make sure you put 'no shut' on both ports).
    Trendkill, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:28 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Mar 27, 11:18 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone
    > > I have a 3550 and the customer that returned it said that port 7 was
    > > bad. How exactly do i go about testing the port? any command that will
    > > show the statuses of each port?
    > > Thank You

    > Put port 7 as an access port in a vlan (pick one), connect a pc or
    > laptop to it.  Connect another PC in another port (pick one), but
    > ensure that it is set as an access port in the same vlan as port 7.
    > Put both nodes in the same layer 3 network (192.168.0.1 and
    > 192.168.0.2 as an example - with 255.255.255.0 netmask), and run ping
    > tests.  If that works, then layer 2 is working appropriately.  Its
    > possible that it has a higher level problem with port 7, but
    > unlikely.  Make sure you match speed/duplex settings as well on ports/
    > pcs or laptops.
    >
    > Show ip int brief will show ports.  Show interface f0/7 or g0/7 should
    > show interface statistics to see if something obvious is wrong.  If
    > the port refuses to come up when you do the stuff above, then the port
    > may indeed be bad (make sure you put 'no shut' on both ports).

    Thanks for your reply. I am really a newbie at this stuff. Would it be
    possible for you to give me step by step instructions. I am starting
    for my CCNA like in a few months and all I do at this company is
    usually small stuff like password recovery and show versions and stuff
    like that. If its not too much to ask could u give me step by step
    command instructions? thank you
    , Mar 27, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Mar 27, 11:28 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 27, 11:18 am, wrote:

    >> > I have a 3550 and the customer that returned it said that port 7 was
    >> > bad. How exactly do i go about testing the port?

    >If its not too much to ask could u give me step by step
    >command instructions? thank you

    Just my personal opinion, but: IMHO, Yes, it -is- too much to ask
    for step by step command instructions to test everything that might
    be wrong about a port on a 3550. The 3550 is a "Layer 3 Switch",
    which means that it is really a router, with the usual layer 2
    operations and routing; and it has extensive QoS facilities as well.
    Your customer might have seen anything from link failures to
    spanning tree problems, right up to QoS problems. Detailing all
    of the commands to check all of the possibilities would be a lot of
    work.

    Someone in your company must have dealt with the customer; what
    did the customer say was wrong with the port?
    Walter Roberson, Mar 27, 2008
  5. Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 27, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    > If you do not have a Cisco CCO web site access you should register
    >
    > cco.cisco.com
    >
    > You may want to check out the Cisco doc "Resetting Catalyst Switches
    > to Factory Defaults"
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_n...

    I got it to factory settings thats not the issue im having. I also am
    registered at Cisco. I just need someone to please tell me how to ping
    test a C3550, as in step by step commands and what all I need to do
    it. This one is returned and according to the customer, Port 7 is bad
    and I need to test that to verify. Thank you
    , Mar 27, 2008
  7. Trendkill Guest

    On Mar 27, 1:06 pm, wrote:
    > On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    >
    > > If you do not have a Cisco CCO web site access you should register

    > > cco.cisco.com

    > > You may want to check out the Cisco doc "Resetting Catalyst Switches
    > > to Factory Defaults"

    > >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_n...

    > I got it to factory settings thats not the issue im having. I also am
    > registered at Cisco. I just need someone to please tell me how to ping
    > test a C3550, as in step by step commands and what all I need to do
    > it. This one is returned and according to the customer, Port 7 is bad
    > and I need to test that to verify. Thank you

    config t
    int f0/1
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 2
    no shut
    int f0/7
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 2
    no shut

    May need to go into vlan database mode and create vlan 2, else just
    use vlan 1 or whatever. Plug the nodes into both ports (make sure
    speed/duplex matches), if its auto on pc side, make sure its auto on
    switch side).

    IP the nodes per my previous posting, and ping. See what happens.
    However, I completely agree with the other posters that this ONLY
    verifies basic layer 2/3 connectivity, and who knows what your
    customer was trying to do. Could be trunking, QoS, or any number of
    things. Could also just be a lack of knowledge of what they were
    doing. Things to keep in mind.....
    Trendkill, Mar 27, 2008
  8. Chad Mahoney Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    >> If you do not have a Cisco CCO web site access you should register
    >>
    >> cco.cisco.com
    >>
    >> You may want to check out the Cisco doc "Resetting Catalyst Switches
    >> to Factory Defaults"
    >>
    >> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_n...

    > I got it to factory settings thats not the issue im having. I also am
    > registered at Cisco. I just need someone to please tell me how to ping
    > test a C3550, as in step by step commands and what all I need to do
    > it. This one is returned and according to the customer, Port 7 is bad
    > and I need to test that to verify. Thank you

    Like Walter has said, the switch is also a layer 3 switch, which
    providing step by step instructions to test is impossible.

    If you have the switch set to factory defaults:

    Test layer 2 connectivity, plug a PC in port 7 and another PC in any
    other port, setup each PC on the same network and ping each other, if it
    works then layer 2 is working fine.

    Your client may have just enabled a configuration that disabled port 7.
    Chad Mahoney, Mar 27, 2008
  9. Guest

    On Mar 27, 1:13 pm, Chad Mahoney <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, Merv <> wrote:
    > >> If you do not have a Cisco CCO web site access you should register

    > >> cco.cisco.com

    > >> You may want to check out the Cisco doc "Resetting Catalyst Switches
    > >> to Factory Defaults"

    > >>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_n...

    > > I got it to factory settings thats not the issue im having. I also am
    > > registered at Cisco. I just need someone to please tell me how to ping
    > > test a C3550, as in step by step commands and what all I need to do
    > > it. This one is returned and according to the customer, Port 7 is bad
    > > and I need to test that to verify. Thank you

    > Like Walter has said, the switch is also a layer 3 switch, which
    > providing step by step instructions to test is impossible.
    >
    > If you have the switch set to factory defaults:
    >
    > Test layer 2 connectivity, plug a PC in port 7 and another PC in any
    > other port, setup each PC on the same network and ping each other, if it
    > works then layer 2 is working fine.
    >
    > Your client may have just enabled a configuration that disabled port 7.- Hide quoted text -

    THANK YOU EVERYONE I GOT IT WORKING
    special thanks to trendkill
    , Mar 27, 2008
  10. News Reader Guest

    With the limited knowledge you have of the device, it becomes
    increasingly important that you get a clear indication from the
    customer, what constitutes "bad".

    What did they see, what did they experience that lead them to their
    conclusion?

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 27, 2008
  11. Cliff Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:15 am, News Reader <> wrote:
    > With the limited knowledge you have of the device, it becomes
    > increasingly important that you get a clear indication from the
    > customer, what constitutes "bad".
    >
    > What did they see, what did they experience that lead them to their
    > conclusion?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > News Reader
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi everyone
    > > I have a 3550 and the customer that returned it said that port 7 was
    > > bad. How exactly do i go about testing the port? any command that will
    > > show the statuses of each port?
    > > Thank You

    In all honesty the customer probably didn't know how to setup this
    device. 3550's are fun pieces of equipment.....

    Any how instead of going in and assigning all these ports to vlans
    just delete the vlan.dat file and reboot. That will put everything
    back on a default level playing field.

    You will have to use the PING command to test layer2 connectivity even
    though Ping is a layer 3 tool. Once you verify that pinging works
    double check the switch's CAM table and see that the MAC it found
    matches the MAC addr of your workstation. Beyond that theres nothing
    else to prove whether its working or not. If you think there is a QOS
    problem, then don't run QOS, it's that simple.

    Consider selling a Dell powerconnect, HP, or big linksys switch next
    time...

    :)
    Cliff, Mar 28, 2008