wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by spencerwill.com, May 26, 2005.

  1. spencerwill.com, May 26, 2005

  2. spencerwill.com

    Guest

    spencerwill.com wrote:
    > do not buy this item if you want to use VPN
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3265_7...=1193069&tag=1193069&cval=1193069&ctype=msgid

    Agree and disagree about the opinion on the link.

    Agree: talking to techsupport often takes long time. But three hours is
    not very bad. It took me several days with mutliple calls to my cell
    carrier for a phone problem and finally the answer was on a newsgroup,
    not techsupport of the carrier.

    Disagree: I just made my wrv54G work since yesderday. It tooks me 8
    hours in total to make it work, but 7 of those 8 hours were really on
    my Cisco router : I set it wrong so the Linksys could not connect to.

    DT

    , May 26, 2005

  3. spencerwill.com

    Peter Guest

    "" <> wrote

    >Agree: talking to techsupport often takes long time. But three hours is
    >not very bad. It took me several days with mutliple calls to my cell
    >carrier for a phone problem and finally the answer was on a newsgroup,
    >not techsupport of the carrier.

    I would agree with that view, on the basis that these products are so
    cheap that if they don't work out of the box it is reasonable to
    expect users to return them (if they can) or discard them (if they
    can't).

    Three hours is a very long time on the phone!

    A great deal of today's IT equipment is sold on that basis, as there
    is no real tech support.

    I've spent many hours on the phone to Linksys "tech support"; the
    unfortunate person sitting on the phone in the Phillipines can only
    offer replies out of a script with ZERO understanding of anything, and
    their ultimate suggestion is usually along the lines of "reformat the
    hard disk on everything and reinstall all software". I suppose one
    should be grateful, since this "support" is more than most cheap IT
    vendors offer. Nothing from Linksys I ever had a problem with was ever
    resolved with their TS, and the equipment was either chucked away,
    returned, or used in some other app where it worked.

    At the prices one pays, no vendor can afford to provide any tech
    support.

    The best single thing anybody can do these days is not even try to use
    any product out of the box before upgrading the firmware to the latest
    version from the website.

    Peter, May 26, 2005